'Object not held by this machine'

Post by Chris Bel » Sat, 11 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Help please...

Why do I usually (but not always) get the following error message when
shutting down my SA-RiscPC?

        'Object not held by this machine'

If I click on 'OK' the Printers icon remains at the bottom left corner of
the screen after everything else has quit.  It doesn't make any
difference if the other networked computer is on or off.

The computer has its printer setup to be shared across a small Ethernet
network.  The error occurs whether just Access or TCP/IP is configured.
!Printers (v1.53) is configured for both a turbo-driven printer (shared)
and Arcfax (unshared).

I can't deduce what sequence of events results in the error occurring -
it appears to be quite arbitrary whether it occurs or not (but it usually
does).

I hope that's enough information for someone to work out how I can stop
it happening!

Thank you,
Chris Bell.

       web site  :  www.argonet.co.uk/highpath

'Object not held by this machine'

Post by Chris Bel » Sat, 11 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Help please...
> Why do I usually (but not always) get the following error message when
> shutting down my SA-RiscPC?
>         'Object not held by this machine'

It's me again - just an addendum to the above request...

Although there must be a simple solution, I'm currently trying out my own
fix.  (I've altered the offending line in !Printers.!RunImage from the
equivalent of SYS"Freeway_Write" to SYS"XFreeway_Write" - so far so good!)

However I'd like to get to the bottom of it as it may point to something
being wrong in my setup.

Chris.

       web site  :  www.argonet.co.uk/highpath

'Object not held by this machine'

Post by Ben Broo » Sun, 12 Nov 2000 09:09:45

Quote:> I hope that's enough information for someone to work out how I can stop
> it happening!

I have exactly the same problem. You are sharing your printer over the
Access protocols. When you connect to the internet there is some kind of
'switch' to TCP/IP and any computers with Printers running that use that
'print server' grey out. When you shut down or quit printers you get the
error message. I had this problem since I set up my network (under RO
3.7)where the print server is also the machine that has the modem
attacthed for net access. This problem is still there in RO 4.03 so as far
as a solution goes, I'm clueless.

But at least you now know what the problem is :-)

--

http://www.ben-brook.co.uk/

'Object not held by this machine'

Post by Chris Bel » Sun, 12 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I have exactly the same problem. You are sharing your printer over the
> Access protocols. When you connect to the internet there is some kind
> of 'switch' to TCP/IP and any computers with Printers running that use
> that 'print server' grey out.

Yes, I also have that 'greying out' problem on my remote computer, but
without even trying to connect to anything via a modem.  The only way
I've found to ungrey the printer icon it is to shutdown and start both
computers all over again.

Post by Rick Hudso » Mon, 13 Nov 2000 08:37:43

>> I hope that's enough information for someone to work out how I can stop it
>> happening!

> I have exactly the same problem. You are sharing your printer over the
> Access protocols. When you connect to the internet there is some kind of
> 'switch' to TCP/IP and any computers with Printers running that use that
> 'print server' grey out.

ISTR having this problem when I set up my LAN ages ago but I can't remember
for sure what fixed it. I think when I changed the all the LAN IP addresses
from the Access default of 1.x.x.x to more normal 192.168.0.x (and netmask
from 255.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.0) then the effect of configuring one system
for dial-up Internet no longer destroyed its LAN configuration.

--

                                         http://www.actrix.gen.nz/users/rick/

Post by Martin Longle » Mon, 13 Nov 2000 09:15:23

> > I have exactly the same problem. You are sharing your printer over the
> > Access protocols. When you connect to the internet there is some kind
> > of 'switch' to TCP/IP and any computers with Printers running that use
> > that 'print server' grey out.
> Yes, I also have that 'greying out' problem on my remote computer, but
> without even trying to connect to anything via a modem.  The only way
> I've found to ungrey the printer icon it is to shutdown and start both
> computers all over again.

Just quit !printers on the one sharing it and then reload.

Martin Longley

--

Post by John Duffel » Mon, 13 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> Why do I usually (but not always) get the following error message when
> shutting down my SA-RiscPC?

>         'Object not held by this machine'

> If I click on 'OK' the Printers icon remains at the bottom left corner of
> the screen after everything else has quit.  It doesn't make any
> difference if the other networked computer is on or off.

If you click Cancel then printers will quit.

HTH
John
--
VGhpcyBpcyBhIGJhc2U2NCBlbmNvZGVkIG1lc3NhZ2UsIHdvdWxkIHlvdSBiZWxpZXZlIQ==
Can you see the secret message??? See the Flash website!

http://www-users.york.ac.uk/~jwd104/ http://duffell.net/