Skynow - Strange goings on!

Post by John M. Jakobsso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I thought I'd take a peek at the Skynow website http://www.skynow.co.uk
The page partially loaded and then repeatedly reloaded until I hit the
spinning world icon, this caused an error message to appear, something
like - 'Cachebuster not completed', I cancelled the error box ant then
the page final completed loading the page.

Was it worth it? I hear you ask, well IMHO no, a seemingly disorganised
mess of graphics and boxes.

Using Fresco 2.02, didn't try any other Browser.

--

Acorn RiscPc 34Mb 200Mhz StrongArm              http://www.jako.demon.co.uk
Webmaster / Springfield School Ltd.             http://www.springfield.co.uk

Skynow - Strange goings on!

Post by Pau » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Was it worth it? I hear you ask, well IMHO no, a seemingly disorganised
> mess of graphics and boxes.

The HTML is pretty disorganised as well. It's one of the worst written pages
I've seen in some time. There are missing quotes from the HTML, meaning some
tags lead straight into others. There is invalid HTML (part of the comment is
actually outside the comment tags) and I haven't the foggiest idea what the
Javascript is trying to attempt.

It looks like it's forcing a refresh of the page every x time interval, but
it seems that the value for x is too small so it's refetching the page before
it's finished redrawing it from the previous time. It would be interesting to
see how it displays on a slow PC.
--
Paul Vigay
     _                       _________________________________

________ (_) ___________./     http://www.argonet.co.uk/ant/

Skynow - Strange goings on!

Post by Tim Founta » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On Thu, 29 Jul 1999 11:58:41 +0100, "Ant Support (Paul)"

> > Was it worth it? I hear you ask, well IMHO no, a seemingly disorganised
> > mess of graphics and boxes.

> The HTML is pretty disorganised as well. It's one of the worst written pages
> I've seen in some time. There are missing quotes from the HTML, meaning some
> tags lead straight into others. There is invalid HTML (part of the comment is
> actually outside the comment tags) and I haven't the foggiest idea what the
> Javascript is trying to attempt.

The HTML isn't /that/ bad.  There are missing quotes in several
places, and they've used <script> without a script type in quite a few
places, nothing major though.  I've certainly seen much worse :-).

The first part of the JavaScript is used to display the date (bit of a
silly way of doing it), and then there are various browser sniffing
functions, plus a couple of other things.

Quote:> It looks like it's forcing a refresh of the page every x time interval, but
> it seems that the value for x is too small so it's refetching the page before
> it's finished redrawing it from the previous time. It would be interesting to
> see how it displays on a slow PC.

I don't see any page refreshing at all.

--

http://www.markgf.demon.co.uk/

Skynow - Strange goings on!

Post by Geoff Young » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > Was it worth it? I hear you ask, well IMHO no, a seemingly disorganised
> > mess of graphics and boxes.
> The HTML is pretty disorganised as well. It's one of the worst written
> pages I've seen in some time. There are missing quotes from the HTML,
> meaning some tags lead straight into others. There is invalid HTML (part of
> the comment is actually outside the comment tags) and I haven't the
> foggiest idea what the Javascript is trying to attempt.
> It looks like it's forcing a refresh of the page every x time interval, but
> it seems that the value for x is too small so it's refetching the page
> before it's finished redrawing it from the previous time. It would be
> interesting to see how it displays on a slow PC.

Are we looking a the same page?

There are 2 pages that you come to, index.html which you come to first and
then home.jsp

index.htm contains some dodgy JavaScript & HTML, but not much simply because
there's not enough room - they leave the worst till later.  It automatically
tries to redirect you to the next page immediately you arrive....

home.jsp It starts off with a jumble of JavaScript functions which look as
though they were written by a goldfish on LSD.  Through various tortuous and
over complex steps it aims to use a unique time to fetch a ... banner advert?

The message of the site seems to be clear though - if this is the best Oyster
Partners can do, don't even consider them for designing your website.

<bumbles off to see their website and stumbles on a client list including
Equitable Life, Carlton, Intel, Macmillan Publishing,  Harvard, Hewlett
Packard, DTI, No.10 Downing Street, Schroders and many others...>

Ah well, they may not be able to write JavaScript or HTML, but they certainly
can persuade clients that they can... :->

TTFN,

--
Geoff Youngs
Technical Director - Speaking for himself alone

                       solutions.web - Website Designers

                              Tel. (023) 92 412964
                       Web : http://www.solutionsweb.co.uk/

Take a tagline...
On second thoughts ... don't!

I was looking at home.jsp

Quote:> home.jsp It starts off with a jumble of JavaScript functions which look as
> though they were written by a goldfish on LSD.  Through various tortuous
> and over complex steps it aims to use a unique time to fetch a ... banner
> advert?

Indeed! Loadsa errors!

Quote:> <bumbles off to see their website and stumbles on a client list including
> Equitable Life, Carlton, Intel, Macmillan Publishing,  Harvard, Hewlett
> Packard, DTI, No.10 Downing Street, Schroders and many others...>

That explains it! The Equitable site is equally attrocious!

Quote:> Ah well, they may not be able to write JavaScript or HTML, but they
> certainly can persuade clients that they can... :->

;-)

--
Paul Vigay
     _                       _________________________________
    /_| _ _. _  /| /_ _/_  /'      ANT Technical Support

________ (_) ___________./     http://www.argonet.co.uk/ant/

Skynow - Strange goings on!

Post by Pau » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > It looks like it's forcing a refresh of the page every x time interval,
> > but it seems that the value for x is too small so it's refetching the
> > page before it's finished redrawing it from the previous time. It would
> > be interesting to see how it displays on a slow PC.

> I don't see any page refreshing at all.

Dunno. I couldn't work it all out and gave up trying. It's certainly
performing a page refresh because every time Fresco gets to around 70% of the
page fetch, it starts again and simply goes into an infinite loop refreshing
the page until you abort it! :-(
--
Paul Vigay
     _                       _________________________________
    /_| _ _. _  /| /_ _/_  /'      ANT Technical Support

________ (_) ___________./     http://www.argonet.co.uk/ant/

Skynow - Strange goings on!

Post by Tim Founta » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On Thu, 29 Jul 1999 15:18:48 +0100, "Ant Support (Paul)"

> > > It looks like it's forcing a refresh of the page every x time interval,
> > > but it seems that the value for x is too small so it's refetching the
> > > page before it's finished redrawing it from the previous time. It would
> > > be interesting to see how it displays on a slow PC.

> > I don't see any page refreshing at all.

> Dunno. I couldn't work it all out and gave up trying. It's certainly
> performing a page refresh because every time Fresco gets to around 70% of the
> page fetch, it starts again and simply goes into an infinite loop refreshing
> the page until you abort it! :-(

Well there is no meta refresh in there, so I'd guess it's the banner
that's refreshing and Fresco's getting confused.  You are using the
JavaScript version of Fresco I assume Paul? ;-)

--

http://www.markgf.demon.co.uk/

Skynow - Strange goings on!

Post by Stephen Sloa » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> The HTML is pretty disorganised as well. It's one of the worst written pages
> I've seen in some time. There are missing quotes from the HTML, meaning some
> tags lead straight into others. There is invalid HTML (part of the comment is
> actually outside the comment tags) and I haven't the foggiest idea what the
> Javascript is trying to attempt.

Look at http://www.airfix.com for an even worse page - unaccessible
completely without Shockwave :-(

--
                           S t e p h e n   S l o a n
              http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/hsloan/Stephens

Skynow - Strange goings on!

Post by Tim Founta » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On Thu, 29 Jul 1999 22:04:28 +0100, Stephen Sloan

> > The HTML is pretty disorganised as well. It's one of the worst written pages
> > I've seen in some time. There are missing quotes from the HTML, meaning some
> > tags lead straight into others. There is invalid HTML (part of the comment is
> > actually outside the comment tags) and I haven't the foggiest idea what the
> > Javascript is trying to attempt.

> Look at http://www.airfix.com for an even worse page - unaccessible
> completely without Shockwave :-(

The Shockwave animation isn't much good anyway ;-).

--

http://www.markgf.demon.co.uk/

Skynow - Strange goings on!

Post by Andrew C. Pool » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> On Thu, 29 Jul 1999 22:04:28 +0100, Stephen Sloan

> > > The HTML is pretty disorganised as well. It's one of the worst written pages
> > > I've seen in some time. There are missing quotes from the HTML, meaning some
> > > tags lead straight into others. There is invalid HTML (part of the comment is
> > > actually outside the comment tags) and I haven't the foggiest idea what the
> > > Javascript is trying to attempt.

> > Look at http://www.airfix.com for an even worse page - unaccessible
> > completely without Shockwave :-(

> The Shockwave animation isn't much good anyway ;-).

Sounds like sky to me!

It seems, my  father being a sky digital installer, that none of the people there
actually know what is going on!

This says a lot to be said for the www page methinks!

Andy.
--
Andrew C. Poole
In the heart of Cheshire - Northwich

Visit AcornSite: http://come.to/acornsite
or my site: http://www.malpasroad.freeserve.co.uk
... Hire the morally handicapped

Skynow - Strange goings on!

Post by mat.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:

> There are 2 pages that you come to, index.html which you come to
first and
> then home.jsp

> index.htm contains some dodgy JavaScript & HTML,

The only active javascript on index.htm is a body onload handler. If
you have spotted a mistake here I'm sure we will all apreciate your
thoughts on the matter.

You may of course be referring to script elements above, however you
will notice that this has been commented out. If you need help
understanding html comments please email me privately and will be happy
to explain.

Quote:> but not much simply because
> there's not enough room - they leave the worst till later.  It
automatically
> tries to redirect you to the next page immediately you arrive....

This is standard practise on IIS.

Quote:> home.jsp It starts off with a jumble of JavaScript functions which
look as
> though they were written by a goldfish on LSD.  Through various
tortuous and
> over complex steps it aims to use a unique time to fetch a ... banner

advert?

Unfortunately it was not within Oyster remit to update legacy
advertising code.

Quote:

> The message of the site seems to be clear though - if this is the
best Oyster
> Partners can do, don't even consider them for designing your website.

The skynow site was designed, developed and delivcered in under 8
man/months.

You have yet to point out a serious problem in either the
implementation or the behavior, if you do find such flaws please be
specific and I am sure someone will address your concerns.

In the meantime, you might be interested to learn that some of the
links on www.solutionsweb.co.uk are broken.
(eg http://www.winged-words.solutionsweb.co.uk/)

yours anon
(speaking on behalf of noone at all)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Skynow - Strange goings on!

Post by Justin Fletche » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> > There are 2 pages that you come to, index.html which you come to first
> > and then home.jsp

> > index.htm contains some dodgy JavaScript & HTML,

> The only active javascript on index.htm is a body onload handler. If
> you have spotted a mistake here I'm sure we will all apreciate your
> thoughts on the matter.

Are we (the csa.* readers) to assume, then, that you are an employee of
the design company ?

[snip]

Quote:

> yours anon
> (speaking on behalf of noone at all)

Oh, you're just a random person then ?

--
Justin Fletcher, Software Engineer, RISCOS Ltd
[ Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer ]

Skynow - Strange goings on!

Post by Pau » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> The only active javascript on index.htm is a body onload handler. If you
> have spotted a mistake here I'm sure we will all apreciate your thoughts on
> the matter.

What about the one that loads random advertising banners?

Quote:> Unfortunately it was not within Oyster remit to update legacy advertising
> code.

Pity! It gives the whole site a tacky feel!

Quote:> The skynow site was designed, developed and delivcered in under 8
> man/months.

Strewth! I thought you were going to say 8 hours. What took you so long then?
It looks the sort of thing I could knock up in a couple of days.

--
Paul Vigay
     _                       _________________________________
    /_| _ _. _  /| /_ _/_  /'      ANT Technical Support

________ (_) ___________./     http://www.argonet.co.uk/ant/

Skynow - Strange goings on!

Post by mat.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

deja.com>

> > The only active javascript on index.htm is a body onload handler. >
> What about the one that loads random advertising banners?

this is not in index.htm.

Quote:> > The skynow site was designed, developed and delivcered in under 8
> > man/months.

> Strewth! I thought you were going to say 8 hours. What took you so
long then?
> It looks the sort of thing I could knock up in a couple of days.

days? wow!
 Design approval alone can take several months on a site like SkyNow.
To say nothing of brokering content partnerships, coordinating
cobranding and registration with partners around the globe, scaling to
support millions of users, integated mail and calender, news feeds, tv
guide;
back office systems, replication, testing and deployment.

Similar portals might take up to 20-30 man-months to first release -
including consultants, designers, producers, developers, editors and
admninistrators.

This discussion is way off topic - I apologise in advance discontinuing
the thread.

It is a shame that accorn users do not appear to be supported on
Skynow . This site seems primarily intended as a portal to support the
skynow free ISP - wintel only.
An oversight which that will hopefuly be rectified soon.

anon

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Skynow - Strange goings on!

Post by Luke Bosma » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> You have yet to point out a serious problem in either the
> implementation or the behavior, if you do find such flaws please be
> specific and I am sure someone will address your concerns.

See below...

Quote:> The page partially loaded and then repeatedly reloaded until I hit the
> spinning world icon, this caused an error message to appear, something like
> - 'Cachebuster not completed', I cancelled the error box ant then the page
> final completed loading the page.

[snip]

Quote:> Using Fresco 2.02, didn't try any other Browser.

Luke
--
ZFC A (Mn) ICQ# 13198442
<http://surf.to/blue.anorak> Southend United results and stats

1. Strange OS goings on...

I have had a stressful 24 hrs trying to identify a problem: I couldn't get
the computer to log on to NTL using DHCP. I have now found out that the
DHCP module had been unplugged. What I don't know is why?
(in the words of Shaggy: "It wasn't me!") I am running RISCOS 4.36 & IDEFS.

It is true, I had been trying to get it to recognise another drive (out of
another RISC PC that had IDEFS and a boot sequence for RISCOS 3.7)
Although RISCOS 4.02 on a 3.7 boot should not do this harm. So far the
machine locks up when the filer tries to recognise the disc, although IDEFS
did include it in its count of recognised drives.

In trying to recover, I did del+power on. I had thought this reinstated
everything to its factory state- obviously not! Is there any action that
will reinstate everything to its factory state?

I have looked at other disabled modules and wonder if anything else is
wrong? Anyone know? (Minidisc may be the reason that AppFS is dormant.)

DHCP was unplugged, now working.
FileTypes                ROM (Dormant)     8.00
RamFS                    ROM (Dormant)     2.17
NetI                     ROM (Unplugged)   6.29
BootNet                  ROM (Unplugged)   1.02
Freeway                  ROM (Unplugged)   5.00
ShareFS                  ROM (Unplugged)   3.86
NetFS                    ROM (Unplugged)   5.91
NetFiler                 ROM (Dormant)     8.40
NetPrint                 ROM (Dormant)     5.53
MbufManager              ROM (Unplugged)   1.30
AUNMsgs                  ROM (Unplugged)   6.00
Internet                 ROM (Unplugged)   4.03
Net                      ROM (Unplugged)   6.12
BootNet                  ROM (Unplugged)   8.80
AppFS                    ROM (Dormant)     3.00
AppFS_Econet             ROM (Dormant)     3.00
AppFS_Filer              ROM (Dormant)     3.00
AppFS_Resources          ROM (Dormant)     2.00

--
Regards,

Grant Randall

Please remove the "SPAMFREE" when replying.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/grant.randall Randalls Home Page
During shift periods, I may be slow to reply, please bear with me...

2. The Telebit WorldBlazer, 2

3. Sad old A3000 going, going ...

4. array vs. pointer

5. AFK18 - going, going, gone (AGAIN)

6. fast growing syslog...

7. mags going going...

8. FP14 and Scitech 7.02 - Trap e

9. Going, Going....gone? Some Ebay items that might interest you.

10. Going to the Southwest Spring Show?

11. Commodore going under?

12. Postings gone strange in Comp.Binaries.Acorn

13. PRM's going for FREE!!!