Risc os Bugged?

Post by Alasdair Baile » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Does anyone know of any interesting bugs or 'features' of our much-loved os?

We (all?) know the one where if you triple-click the menu button over the
'Author' info box on Task Manager, a list of credits to the programmers is
shown on Risc os 3.60, but are there any more?

The 'Filecore in use' errors which were so common in the days of Risc os 2
still crop up every now and again but what causes them? (I think they
occured in Risc os 2 if you used a whole pile of floppies in one session and
didn't dismount them!)

Alasdair Bailey

--
  ___  _ _                   See my web page for:-
 / _ \| (_)                  - Sim City 2000 hints, cheats and cities
| |_| | | |                  - Acorn PD game reviews
|  _  | | |                  - A selection of photographic backdrops
|_| |_|_|_|                    for the Risc os Pinboard
Alasdair Bailey,        ****************************************

Risc os Bugged?

Post by Stephen Wrig » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

re: bugs

On running some programs sometimes I get an error 'nager:sprites22'

What the hell does that mean???????  Its even more cryptic than a CP/M
error message!

Risc os Bugged?

Post by A.Hodgkinso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> re: bugs

> On running some programs sometimes I get an error 'nager:sprites22'

> What the hell does that mean???????  Its even more cryptic than a CP/M
> error message!

Typically, if you have a module in C which starts and an error occurs in
the same?Obey file that started it, you'll get this error reported instead
of the correct one. It's an OS bug in RISC OS 3.5 and earlier. The usual
problem is that a !Run file for an application RMEnsures a module version,
loads the module because it wasn't present, then RMEnsures again to check
it's a late enough variant, and throws an error because it isn't.

--
TTFN, Andrew (on behalf of myself, not my employer).

"Hold on tight lad, and think of Lancashire Hotpot!" - A Grand Day Out

Risc os Bugged?

Post by Edward Morri » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> Does anyone know of any interesting bugs or 'features' of our much-loved
> os?

Of hand I can think of one. Somewhere in ROM on some machines there are
pictures of the Software designers of RISCOS. Attatched is a copy of the
a BASIC program to which grabs this from the ROMs. I have tried this
program on my SA and it doesn't work, and I can't remember which older
machine(s) it does work on.

--
Edward Morris

Web Site : http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/ed.morris/

... REALITY.SYS Corrupted: Re-boot Universe (Y/N/Q)

begin 644 Grab
M#0 *_5,])C,Y1C0W04,Z13TF,SE&-SA$0SI//38U-3,V.LB9-BPQ,CDL,"PFa

end
RiscOS filetype : FFB

Risc os Bugged?

Post by Robin Edward » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have a file that starts with the following line.
It arrived a while ago as an attachment to a spam email, since
discarded.

MD#&.QSU[<G_]7.*^$?A]^WM\.=>B_P"0K;6]Q^'X>X_SWKZ7TO\`:(\&Z_&(

Can someone tell me what it is or means.  From what I remember
of the email it may be some sort of graphics encoding, but I've no
idea what.  How can I "interpret" it?

Thanks in advance.

--
  Robin Edwards  ZFC S+       Serious Statistical Software
                REAL Statistics with Graphics for RISC OS machines

Risc os Bugged?

Post by ct » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I have a file that starts with the following line.
> It arrived a while ago as an attachment to a spam email, since
> discarded.

> MD#&.QSU[<G_]7.*^$?A]^WM\.=>B_P"0K;6]Q^'X>X_SWKZ7TO\`:(\&Z_&(

> Can someone tell me what it is or means.  From what I remember
> of the email it may be some sort of graphics encoding, but I've no
> idea what.  How can I "interpret" it?

Hiya Robin, fancy meeting you here!

It's presumably either uuencoded or base64 encoded, though I suspect
a few headers might help. If you had these headers, most mailers ought
to be able to decipher it for you (or SparkFS I think can manage some
of them).

But I doubt its worth the bother, frankly.

regards, ct

Risc os Bugged?

Post by Philip Ban » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

: > > Does anyone know of any interesting bugs or 'features' of our much-loved
: > > os?

   Well far be it from me to be boring and suggest a simple answer to the
question, but has anyone considered looking in the Comp.Sys.Acorn FAQ and
reading the section on Easter Eggs present in RISC OS? It's not like I
spent any effort collating that list or anything. :)

: If I remember correctly, this 'feature' was only present in Risc OS 3.00
: as shipped with the original A5000 machines.

   It was first featured in RISC OS 3.00, with a small key sequence
starting a slideshow through the pictures. Later versions of RISC OS do
still have the pictures present, just not any code for displaying them. In
very version of RISC OS there has always been at least a text list of the
names of the primary developers of the OS, continuing a tradition observed
with the BBC OS which had the names of the primary developers in the OS
ROM. (You couldn't normally read them because they were in the areas of
the ROM that were mapped out by Fred, Jim and Shelia.)

Philip

Risc os Bugged?

Post by Geoffrey Kh » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > Does anyone know of any interesting bugs or 'features' of our much-loved
> > os?

> Of hand I can think of one. Somewhere in ROM on some machines there are
> pictures of the Software designers of RISCOS. Attatched is a copy of the
> a BASIC program to which grabs this from the ROMs. I have tried this
> program on my SA and it doesn't work, and I can't remember which older
> machine(s) it does work on.

<snip>

> begin 644 Grab
> M#0 *_5,])C,Y1C0W04,Z13TF,SE&-SA$0SI//38U-3,V.LB9-BPQ,CDL,"PFa

> end
> RiscOS filetype : FFB

If I remember correctly, this 'feature' was only present in Risc OS 3.00
as shipped with the original A5000 machines.

--
Geoffrey Khoo                    |
Applied Optics Research Group    |  To email replies to me, change the

Risc os Bugged?

Post by dgs » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> Attatched is a copy of the a BASIC program to which grabs this from the
> ROMs.

If you're going to attach small binaries (and this one is /very/ small,
of course), it'd probably help to phrase it as "Attached, since it's
only 255 bytes, is a copy of..."

That way we avoid newcomers suddenly thinking it is OK to attach entire
applications without thinking.

I imagine someone is now going to point out that you shouldn't attach
binaries at all, regardless of size, but I don't see that debate as
being particularly profitable somehow :)

--

          Acorn user near Manchester?   - or -   PC card owner?
See MAUG and PC card info pages via : http://www.*nexus.demon.co.uk/dgs/

"Even a blind pig finds an acorn sometimes."  -  Ernst Dinkla

Risc os Bugged?

Post by Alex Haywa » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

: > Attatched is a copy of the a BASIC program to which grabs this from the
: > ROMs.

: If you're going to attach small binaries (and this one is /very/ small,
: of course), it'd probably help to phrase it as "Attached, since it's
: only 255 bytes, is a copy of..."

Erm, given that its BASIC isn't it more sensible to include as text
directly? Then at least people can read it without having to decode
it and get it to an Acorn.

--

Risc os Bugged?

Post by Stuart Bel » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> I imagine someone is now going to point out that you shouldn't attach
> binaries at all, regardless of size, but I don't see that debate as
> being particularly profitable somehow :)

Well, if anybody was, there's no need now, so why worry?  ;-)

--
| Stuart Bell - change nospam to argonet to email responses to news.
|?Running an Acorn Risc PC and an Apple PowerBook in a Wintel-free Zone.
| Acorn user? visit http://www.poppyfields.net/sasaug/
| PB100 user? visit http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/sabell/pb100.html

Risc os Bugged?

Post by James MacDonal » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>re: bugs

>On running some programs sometimes I get an error 'nager:sprites22'

>What the hell does that mean???????  Its even more cryptic than a CP/M
>error message!

It's probably :
WindowManager:Sprites22 not found

or similar, but something scrubbed its address space, so you're left
with the nager:sprites22 bit, but none of the helpful stuff. Known bug.
--
James MacDonald

1. Bug in Risc OS 3,7 ?!

Hi!

 I installed my StrongArm and RiscOS 3.7 on Saturday and straight away found
a bug.....

 The  *wimpkillsprite  command causes an "address exception" error , when
given an exsisting sprite as an argument.

eg.  *wimpkillsprite harddisc
  (I have a softloaded replacement icon)

Any cures ?

Peter Reeves-Hall

2. html midi work in NS??? Does yours work???

3. Copy bug in RISC OS 4.02 ?

4. USML: Universe generators for graphics???

5. RISC OS 4 bugs

6. debugg control strips

7. RISC OS 4 'Bugs?' can you help?

8. Bug in RISC OS 4 !Paint

9. File redirections - RISC OS or Unixlib bug?

10. Bug in RISC OS 3.10 'Free' module

11. Bug in RISC OS handling of DOS pathnames

12. RISC OS 3.7 FPE Bug