Firewall Opinions wanted

Post by than » Sat, 02 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hi there, newbie to the group.  I'm looking into purchasing a firewall
for our company (350+).  I'm trying to stick with well knowns and I've
narrowed it down to 3.

Gauntlet 5.0
Firewall1 4.0
PIX

I'd really like to hear what you think about these.  Pros and Cons, Good
or Bad.  Features you like, problems you had, etc.

Thanks, and have a great weekend!

JonM

Firewall Opinions wanted

Post by Dr. Hav » Sat, 02 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>Hi there, newbie to the group.  I'm looking into purchasing a firewall
>for our company (350+).  I'm trying to stick with well knowns and I've
>narrowed it down to 3.

>Gauntlet 5.0
>Firewall1 4.0
>PIX

>I'd really like to hear what you think about these.  Pros and Cons, Good
>or Bad.  Features you like, problems you had, etc.

It all depends on what your priorities are (speed, security, NAT,
support, ease of use, interoperability, etc.)

Tell us what your priorities are and it will be a heck of alot easier.

Firewall Opinions wanted

Post by than » Wed, 06 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Sorry...
What I'm most interested in is security and ease of administration. (kind of
an oxymoron).  I will need to do NAT.  In regards to interoperability, I
don't know what I necessarily need to "interoperate" with (we'll probably
hook up e-mail with our ms exchange server).  I'm pretty familiar with both
NT and Cisco's IOS.  With regards to support, I assume that the three
companies below would provied sufficient support (I've always been pleased
with Cisco).  Speed is not too much of an issue at this time, we'll probably
be starting out at a minimum of T1.  I don't think we'll be taxing the
firewall.  However there is talk of hooking directly into a SONET Ring within
the next year.

I hope this helps.

Than

Post by Dr. Hav » Thu, 07 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>Sorry...
>What I'm most interested in is security and ease of administration. (kind of
>an oxymoron).  I will need to do NAT.  In regards to interoperability, I
>don't know what I necessarily need to "interoperate" with (we'll probably
>hook up e-mail with our ms exchange server).  I'm pretty familiar with both
>NT and Cisco's IOS.  With regards to support, I assume that the three
>companies below would provied sufficient support (I've always been pleased
>with Cisco).  Speed is not too much of an issue at this time, we'll probably
>be starting out at a minimum of T1.  I don't think we'll be taxing the
>firewall.  However there is talk of hooking directly into a SONET Ring within
>the next year.

If you are most interested in Security, I'd say go with Gauntlet 5.0
on Solaris.  If you want ease of Administration, I'd say go with
Checkpoint-1 on Solaris.  I'm not really familiar with the PIX
appliance, even though we do run part of the firewall feature set on
some of our routers.

Your mileage may vary as some people prefer stateful inspection over
application proxy.  I am not one of them as I think the jury is still
out on the technology.

As far as interoperability goes, I was referring to a URL filter,
Content scanning, 3rd party VPN and authentication products and the
like.  It just kinda depends on what you are trying to do.

Firewall Opinions wanted

Post by than » Thu, 07 Oct 1999 04:00:00

thanks

1. Opinions wanted on these firewalls

Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a small, relatively inexpensive hardware firewall
for a 25 node network. I've done some research and narrowed it down to the
following choices

- Checkpoint small office FW-1 running on  an intrusion.com appliance

The network is connected to the internet via a dedicated T1. I need VPNs,
ideally as many as there are nodes (25), but could live with a minimum of 5.
The Checkpoint box is way more expensive and is only licensed for 25 nodes
(w/30 VPNs), but includes a third port for DMZ, and, after all, is
Checkpoint. The Firebox II and the Sonicwall XPRS2 also have DMZ ports, the
PIX and the Netscreen do not.

Anyone have any opinions on any of the particular products? If so, I'd love
to hear 'em.

Thanks in advance

2. .bst wanted (clarification)

3. Informed Opinions wanted: Firewall for Web Servers

4. Problem with 2-port router

5. opinions wanted about firewall at ISP location

6. Basic Portal Question

7. How to have a closing curley brace behind lines?

8. Opinion wanted: Outpost replacing TPF

9. Security Q.- Architecture - opinions wanted...

10. Opinion wanted

11. Opinions wanted

12. Opinions Wanted. Best Centralized logging Solutions.