Strange Problem Related to Norton Firewall

Strange Problem Related to Norton Firewall

Post by Tom » Fri, 01 Feb 2002 07:03:58

I have run into a Windows boot problem three times in the past 3
months which I discovered was being caused by Norton Firewall.  The
first two times, (2-3 months ago) I was running a small shareware
program called memwatcher to free up my ram while burning CDs.  Both
times, after using this pgrm, I got a "Windows protection error,
restart your computer" msg which when rebooting after I was done,
would only allow me to go into windows via the safe mode.  DELETING
Norton Firewall fixed the problem both times.  (The first time it
happened was really fun - I spent about 3 hours experimenting with
different things before I happened upon the firewall corrolation.)
Anyway, upon reinstall, everything worked fine.  This morning I

them since Cox has switched over to their own servers.  Anyway, after
taking these programs off, I once again ran into the above mentioned
problem.  I deleted the Firewall and everything is working fine.  Have
any of you ever heard of this, or run into it yourself?  I have not
yet put the firewall back on, and am not sure if I really need it, but
I think that something must be amiss in the software for this to keep
happening.  I also wonder if Symantec would like to know about this.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Tom.

Strange Problem Related to Norton Firewall

Post by Joseph V. Morri » Fri, 01 Feb 2002 08:36:24

TomR,

Well, I certainly haven't experienced or even heard of anything like this.
. . .  (inline below) . . . .

| I have run into a Windows boot problem three times in the past 3
| months which I discovered was being caused by Norton Firewall.  The
| first two times, (2-3 months ago) I was running a small shareware
| program called memwatcher to free up my ram while burning CDs.  Both
| times, after using this pgrm, I got a "Windows protection error,
| restart your computer" msg which when rebooting after I was done,
| would only allow me to go into windows via the safe mode.  DELETING
| Norton Firewall fixed the problem both times.  ...

What's your OS and version of Norton (and is it NPF or NIS)?  You don't
say at the moment. May I suggest you go to www.capimonitor.nl and get
Albert Janssen's NIS Settings utility?  (Works up through NIS/NPF 4.0 and
all the way back to AG 3.22.xx) This will allow you to document both your
NIS/NPF settings, your system configuration, and the NIS/NPF files in use.

Post this and maybe someone can provide some assistance.  (You might want
to do some 'sanitizing' of the output before posting, however, just as a
generally prudent step.)  I used to run some memory clean-up routines, but
I quit long time ago before I even got to NIS/NPF 3.0/4.0.

If Brendon doesn't show up on his own in a day or so, I'll point him to
this thread.

I assume that, whichever version of NIS/NPF you were running, you'd run
LiveUpdate (possibly multiple times) and gotten all the relevant updates?
Have you also done the same thing with Windows Update?  (And please tell
me you're not running Win 9X/ME Lite.)

| Anyway, upon reinstall, everything worked fine.  This morning I

| them since Cox has switched over to their own servers.  Anyway, after
| taking these programs off, I once again ran into the above mentioned
| problem.  I deleted the Firewall and everything is working fine.  Have
| any of you ever heard of this, or run into it yourself?  I have not
| yet put the firewall back on, and am not sure if I really need it, but
| I think that something must be amiss in the software for this to keep
| happening.  I also wonder if Symantec would like to know about this.

Yes, there's obviously some sort of conflict involved here, but I can't
tell you what it is.  Again, I don't use the memory management utilities

know about it so that Symantec can investigate it.

[Don't bother trying Symantec tech support; all you'll get from them is
some non-specific, canned responses that are probably not relevant to your
problem and that will simply irritate you more.]

--
Regards,
    Joseph V. Morris

    ICQ #29438199

This is a NEWSGROUP message; except for privacy reasons, please respond
therein; an e-mail COPY is always appreciated, of course.
Almost all electrons used in the creation of this message were recycled.
No electrons used in the production of this message were harmed or
mistreated in any manner.

Strange Problem Related to Norton Firewall

Post by Tom » Fri, 01 Feb 2002 09:31:13

Joseph - Thanks for the info.  The program is Norton Personal Firewall
2001 ver 2.5, and the OS is Windows 98, although it is an early
upgrade version to convert 95 to 98.  The Norton System Works is also
2001, ver 2001-04 Build 50, and I had run live update on these
programs almost daily.  I originally thought that the memwatcher
program was causing the conflict, and even emailed the guy who wrote
the program to see if he had any input on it.  (He did not)  Anyway, I
have not been using that program since I had the two problems, so

programs.  If this is a Symantec problem, they should be made aware of
it, as this type of thing could cause an awful lot of headache to
someone who is not very computer savvy.  Until the NPF is removed, you
absolutely cannot get past safe mode in Windows.  Again, everything
works fine after you reinstall the firewall, after first deleting it.
A buddy who is much geekier than me told me that the Windows
Protection error indicates that there is a memory problem.  I do not
not know much about it myself.  I will let you know if I can find out
any more info.

Thanks

Tom

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002 18:36:24 -0500, "Joseph V. Morris"

>TomR,

>Well, I certainly haven't experienced or even heard of anything like this.
>. . .  (inline below) . . . .

>| I have run into a Windows boot problem three times in the past 3
>| months which I discovered was being caused by Norton Firewall.  The
>| first two times, (2-3 months ago) I was running a small shareware
>| program called memwatcher to free up my ram while burning CDs.  Both
>| times, after using this pgrm, I got a "Windows protection error,
>| restart your computer" msg which when rebooting after I was done,
>| would only allow me to go into windows via the safe mode.  DELETING
>| Norton Firewall fixed the problem both times.  ...

>What's your OS and version of Norton (and is it NPF or NIS)?  You don't
>say at the moment. May I suggest you go to www.capimonitor.nl and get
>Albert Janssen's NIS Settings utility?  (Works up through NIS/NPF 4.0 and
>all the way back to AG 3.22.xx) This will allow you to document both your
>NIS/NPF settings, your system configuration, and the NIS/NPF files in use.

>Post this and maybe someone can provide some assistance.  (You might want
>to do some 'sanitizing' of the output before posting, however, just as a
>generally prudent step.)  I used to run some memory clean-up routines, but
>I quit long time ago before I even got to NIS/NPF 3.0/4.0.

>If Brendon doesn't show up on his own in a day or so, I'll point him to
>this thread.

>I assume that, whichever version of NIS/NPF you were running, you'd run
>LiveUpdate (possibly multiple times) and gotten all the relevant updates?
>Have you also done the same thing with Windows Update?  (And please tell
>me you're not running Win 9X/ME Lite.)

>| Anyway, upon reinstall, everything worked fine.  This morning I

>| them since Cox has switched over to their own servers.  Anyway, after
>| taking these programs off, I once again ran into the above mentioned
>| problem.  I deleted the Firewall and everything is working fine.  Have
>| any of you ever heard of this, or run into it yourself?  I have not
>| yet put the firewall back on, and am not sure if I really need it, but
>| I think that something must be amiss in the software for this to keep
>| happening.  I also wonder if Symantec would like to know about this.

>Yes, there's obviously some sort of conflict involved here, but I can't
>tell you what it is.  Again, I don't use the memory management utilities

>know about it so that Symantec can investigate it.

>[Don't bother trying Symantec tech support; all you'll get from them is
>some non-specific, canned responses that are probably not relevant to your
>problem and that will simply irritate you more.]

Strange Problem Related to Norton Firewall

Post by Joseph V. Morri » Fri, 01 Feb 2002 10:25:40

Tom,

I have informed (abused) Brendon of the problem.  With luck, you may see
some input from his shortly.  Oops, maybe I didn't.  Looks like he's
offline at the moment--missed that at the time.

Run NIS Settings (which I assume you have now managed to download and
install) and copy off the output to a text file.  You'll want this when
Brendon gets in contact with you. I'll e-mail the thread ref to him
shortly.

FTM, NIS 2.5 on Win 98 (FE upgrade from Win 95).  NSW version 2001-04,
Build 50.  All of which are routinely updated.  Now, is NIS 2.5 the
original install or are you now up to something like 2.55 (or higher?),
based on what you see in NIS Settings?  (There is a dramatic change
between NPF 2.50 and NPF 2.55, due to inclusion of the hashing algorithm
(SHA1 for NIS/NPF, as opposed to the more inferior MD5 used by ZA/ZAP and
TPF) to 'validate' executables in the ruleset.  This actually transpired
about a year ago, now.)

--
Regards,
    Joseph V. Morris

    ICQ #29438199

This is a NEWSGROUP message; except for privacy reasons, please respond
therein; an e-mail COPY is always appreciated, of course.
Almost all electrons used in the creation of this message were recycled.
No electrons used in the production of this message were harmed or
mistreated in any manner.

| Joseph - Thanks for the info.  The program is Norton Personal Firewall
| 2001 ver 2.5, and the OS is Windows 98, although it is an early
| upgrade version to convert 95 to 98.  The Norton System Works is also
| 2001, ver 2001-04 Build 50, and I had run live update on these
| programs almost daily.  I originally thought that the memwatcher
| program was causing the conflict, and even emailed the guy who wrote
| the program to see if he had any input on it.  (He did not)  Anyway, I
| have not been using that program since I had the two problems, so

| programs.  If this is a Symantec problem, they should be made aware of
| it, as this type of thing could cause an awful lot of headache to
| someone who is not very computer savvy.  Until the NPF is removed, you
| absolutely cannot get past safe mode in Windows.  Again, everything
| works fine after you reinstall the firewall, after first deleting it.
| A buddy who is much geekier than me told me that the Windows
| Protection error indicates that there is a memory problem.  I do not
| not know much about it myself.  I will let you know if I can find out
| any more info.
|
| Thanks

. . . .

1. Strange Norton Firewall (NIS) 2002 behaviour

I installed Norton Internet Security 2002 on my laptop and executed
LiveUpdate.
Now if I download an asp page from my web server (using for example MS
Visual Studio through FrontPage Server Extension), I have the following
strange behaviour: with NIS disabled everything works fine, with NIS enabled
the files come to me modified. For example the code:

is changed by NIS to

Besides when I download some .zip files, they arrive to me modified if NIS
is enabled.
I tried to give IE more rights, give the web server more rights, disable
some features of NIS ... but nothing works except turn it off completely.

Is there anyone with the same problem and/or a solution?
Thanks in advance
Andrea Pierini

2. My Network Places Shortcuts

3. Strange problem with WinRoute (quite possibly a setup problem)

4. Page at a time ActiveX

5. Port forwarding problem with 2.0.10 -- Strange problem

6. Email Chain Letters Illegal?

7. Strange problem with Firewall-1 HTTP security server

8. OT: Spam in the newsgroups

9. Strange Problem with VisNetic Firewall

10. Strange Problems with Firewall-1, 2.1

11. Strange blockage by Norton Internet Security

12. browser-related security problem- Netscape