ssh openssh, or ssl/telnet on mswindows?

ssh openssh, or ssl/telnet on mswindows?

Post by Joel Re » Wed, 21 Aug 2002 16:16:00

We need to log in remotely to a MSW2k server from a MSW2k client, and
I was hoping at openssh as a way to do it. But it looks like the
implementations available for MSWindows all require cygwin underneath,
and that causes me some concern (and probably won't fly with either
our management or our customer).

Dug around this ng and didn't see any relevant flamewars in the past
two weeks. Did see some comparisons, but they all seem to be 2001 and
before. I probably missed something, my imagination at search keywords
seems to fail lately, so an STFriendlyW or some such with a good
pointer would also be appreciated.

Anyway, when you have no choice but to do MSWindows to MSWindows, what
do you recommend?

Joel Rees

Post by Derek Chen-Becke » Thu, 29 Aug 2002 22:02:08

> We need to log in remotely to a MSW2k server from a MSW2k client, and
> I was hoping at openssh as a way to do it. But it looks like the
> implementations available for MSWindows all require cygwin underneath,
> and that causes me some concern (and probably won't fly with either
> our management or our customer).

I think there is a Kerberos-enabled telnet for W2K (might be the
included one) that supports encrypted communications. I'm not very
familiar with it but we did breifly look at options for our Kerberos
integration between W2K and Unix.

Derek

ssh openssh, or ssl/telnet on mswindows?

Post by William Peckha » Fri, 30 Aug 2002 07:25:49

I gave up on convincing WINDOWS perople to use ssh between windows platforms
in our environment.  Being a multi-platform kinda guy, I do not really
understand why, but they seem to have a problem speaking anything with a
*NIX style.  Picked up TightVNC and used Cisco's VPN product to tunnel the
firewall with and got them WINDOWS desktop access that they understood.

This is NOT a recomendation.  I have had problems with the VPN client on
some HP Pavilions and  HP Laptops connected using ATTBI (AT&T Broadband
Internet).   Just a suggestion that you may, as we did, have to give up on
SSH and find another solution that your customer base will be ready to
understand better.

> > We need to log in remotely to a MSW2k server from a MSW2k client, and
> > I was hoping at openssh as a way to do it. But it looks like the
> > implementations available for MSWindows all require cygwin underneath,
> > and that causes me some concern (and probably won't fly with either
> > our management or our customer).

> I think there is a Kerberos-enabled telnet for W2K (might be the
> included one) that supports encrypted communications. I'm not very
> familiar with it but we did breifly look at options for our Kerberos
> integration between W2K and Unix.

> Derek

---