VisualRoute by Datametrics sends serial number on startup

VisualRoute by Datametrics sends serial number on startup

Post by Bobb Dobb » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Is there a central location where privacy violating software
is listed for everyone to see?

I just discovered that VisualRoute (a trace route program)
by Datametrics sends the serial number of the program
to the Datametrics web site each time VisualRoute is
started up.

VisualRoute by Datametrics sends serial number on startup

Post by Mose » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Try http://www.grc.com... He, Steve Gibson, writes a neat program called OptOut
to determine if you have spyware from Aureate..

MK

Post by Alun Jon » Tue, 11 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> Try http://www.grc.com... He, Steve Gibson, writes a neat program called
>  OptOut
> to determine if you have spyware from Aureate..

To be fair, it's not just Aureate (Radiate) - there's Conducent (TimeSink),
Transcom, Comet, GoHip, Web3000 - all listed at the site
http://www.grc.com/optout.htm .

(Steve Gibson's site isn't exactly easy to navigate to find the OptOut
stuff, so I'd advise using the direct link)

Alun.
~~~~
P.S. I have nothing against adware as a concept, it just seems to have been
implemented so far by people who give me the impression of either being
crooked or incompetent - at the very least, poorly thought out.  My own
personal favourite to slag off at any opportunity is Conducent, who spammed
me (and apparently a list of people harvested from the shareware newsgroups
- hello?  Why not just post in the shareware newsgroups?), then after I
complained, told me it wasn't spam because it was "targeted", and then
spammed me again, before selling or giving my email address to one of their
customers to spam me once more.

--
Texas Imperial Software | Try WFTPD, the Windows FTP Server. Find us
1602 Harvest Moon Place | at web site http://www.wftpd.com or email

Fax +1 (512) 378 3246   | NT-based ISPs, be sure to read details of
Phone +1 (512) 378 3246 | WFTPD Pro, NT service version - $100.

VisualRoute by Datametrics sends serial number on startup

Post by Jerry Jongeriu » Tue, 11 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Bobb,

What you are seeing is part of an automated upgrade check by
VisualRoute -- it tells you about new versions as they are released.

If you do not like this feature then turn it off by unchecking "Hot
Links" in the preferences dialog!!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. HELP!: Does ZoneAlarm block reading/sending of Pentium III serial number in chip?!

Hi,

I have some questions:

1/ from outside: Does ZoneAlarm block outside attempts to read your PIII
serial number?

2/ but also, from inside: if you install software yourself that tries to
read your serial number and then wants to "phone it home" over the
internet, can ZoneAlarm prevent this from happening by blocking it?

3/ is ZoneAlarm the best choice for all the above, or do you recommend
another firewall?

I would really appreciate it if people with good knowledge about this
would be so kind to clarify this! Thanks in advance!

Greetings,

Mike.

2. Easy dvi to ps converters

3. Spinxwall Serial Number

4. FS:C=2088 BridgeBoard

5. who can tell me the serial number of sessionwall-3,thanks!

6. Linux Frequently Asked Questions with Answers (Part 5 of 6)

7. serial numbers

8. Problem with find.exe

9. Serial Number Desperate!!!!!!

10. Watchguard SOHO Feature Upgrade Serial Numbers

11. How can hackers really benefit from having your PIII/P4 serial number?!

12. Change Volume Serial Number

13. AZPR 3.21 serial number?