SonicWALL 4.1.1 firmware released

Post by Ole Vi » Wed, 05 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Version 4.1.1 of the SonicWALL firmware was released yesterday.

This is from the release notes:

Current firmware is available at <http://firmware.sonicwall.com>.

SonicWALL Firmware Release Notes
Version 4.1.1 (4/03/2000)

New Features and Enhancements:
* This firmware adds support for the new SonicWALL XPRS product.
* Support for IKE negotiation with the new SonicWALL VPN client 3.02
  has been added.

Bug Fixes:
None

NOTE: Firmware upgrades require the product to be registered before
the install may proceed.  The product may be registered online at
<http://register.sonicwall.com/sonicwall.html>. The information
supplied will be used for registration purposes only and will not be
given to a third party.

--
Ole Vik, Connect AS, Blakstadmarka 26, N-1386 Asker, Norway.

SonicWALL 4.1.1 firmware released

Post by James Schmid » Wed, 05 Apr 2000 04:00:00

says...
Quote:> Version 4.1.1 of the SonicWALL firmware was released yesterday.

> This is from the release notes:

> Current firmware is available at <http://firmware.sonicwall.com>.

> SonicWALL Firmware Release Notes
> Version 4.1.1 (4/03/2000)

> New Features and Enhancements:
> * This firmware adds support for the new SonicWALL XPRS product.
> * Support for IKE negotiation with the new SonicWALL VPN client 3.02
>   has been added.

> Bug Fixes:
> None

Except the BIN file on the Sonicwall Web and FTP sites
for the SOHO version still shows 4.1.0
James
--
My return email address might be bogus.
It's really: schmidtj AT enteract DOT com

SonicWALL 4.1.1 firmware released

Post by kurt_mil.. » Wed, 05 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> says...
> > Version 4.1.1 of the SonicWALL firmware was released yesterday.

> > This is from the release notes:

> > Current firmware is available at <http://firmware.sonicwall.com>.

> > SonicWALL Firmware Release Notes
> > Version 4.1.1 (4/03/2000)

> > New Features and Enhancements:
> > * This firmware adds support for the new SonicWALL XPRS product.
> > * Support for IKE negotiation with the new SonicWALL VPN client 3.02
> > has been added.

> > Bug Fixes:
> > None

> Except the BIN file on the Sonicwall Web and FTP sites
> for the SOHO version still shows 4.1.0
> James
> --
> My return email address might be bogus.
> It's really: schmidtj AT enteract DOT com

Bug Fixes = None ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!

Whats this all about. I thought they were going to fix the PPTP
problems with this release. This is bogus. I hate when companies make
promises and don't follow through with them. I like SonicWALL and I
definitely would recommend it to others, but it seems to be in their
best interest not to fix the PPTP problems they introduced. If PPTP
isn't working then companies will be forced to buy their VPN solution.

Kurt

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

SonicWALL 4.1.1 firmware released

Post by Ole Vi » Wed, 05 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> says...
> > Version 4.1.1 of the SonicWALL firmware was released yesterday.

> > This is from the release notes:

> > Current firmware is available at <http://firmware.sonicwall.com>.

> > SonicWALL Firmware Release Notes
> > Version 4.1.1 (4/03/2000)

> > New Features and Enhancements:
> > * This firmware adds support for the new SonicWALL XPRS product.
> > * Support for IKE negotiation with the new SonicWALL VPN client 3.02
> >   has been added.

> > Bug Fixes:
> > None

> Except the BIN file on the Sonicwall Web and FTP sites
> for the SOHO version still shows 4.1.0

See above:

?Current firmware is available at <http://firmware.sonicwall.com>.?

This means you have to go to this page to get the firmware.

--
Ole Vik, Connect AS, Blakstadmarka 26, N-1386 Asker, Norway.
Telephone +47-66 90 23 00. Telefax +47-66 90 23 05.

Post by Bruce Pennypacke » Wed, 05 Apr 2000 04:00:00

>Bug Fixes = None ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!

>Whats this all about. I thought they were going to fix the PPTP
>problems with this release. This is bogus. I hate when companies make
>promises and don't follow through with them. I like SonicWALL and I
>definitely would recommend it to others, but it seems to be in their
>best interest not to fix the PPTP problems they introduced. If PPTP
>isn't working then companies will be forced to buy their VPN solution.

What PPTP problems are you referring to?  I had some PPTP problems prior to
version 4.1.0 that they fixed, but as of 4.1.0 I've had no problem making
PPTP connections through my SonicWall from Win98, NT4, or Win2K.

-Bruce

SonicWALL 4.1.1 firmware released

Post by kurt_mil.. » Wed, 05 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> >Bug Fixes = None ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!

> >Whats this all about. I thought they were going to fix the PPTP
> >problems with this release. This is bogus. I hate when companies make
> >promises and don't follow through with them. I like SonicWALL and I
> >definitely would recommend it to others, but it seems to be in their
> >best interest not to fix the PPTP problems they introduced. If PPTP
> >isn't working then companies will be forced to buy their VPN
solution.

> What PPTP problems are you referring to? I had some PPTP problems
prior to
> version 4.1.0 that they fixed, but as of 4.1.0 I've had no problem
making
> PPTP connections through my SonicWall from Win98, NT4, or Win2K.

> -Bruce

Here is a excerpt from a 3/31/00 email from a SonicWALL support rep who
was helping me with PPTP problems:

"There is currently a known issue with PPTP connections to a server
defined with a public address using one-to-one NAT. We believe we have
this solved and the fix should be released very soon."

Some other users have posted PPTP problems regarding only one incomming
PPTP connection is allowed at a time. I have not confirmed this to be
true, but have ass-umed it is true. I will test it and post the results.

Kurt

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

SonicWALL 4.1.1 firmware released

Post by kurt_mil.. » Wed, 05 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> > says...
> > > Version 4.1.1 of the SonicWALL firmware was released yesterday.

> > > This is from the release notes:

> > > Current firmware is available at <http://firmware.sonicwall.com>.

> > > SonicWALL Firmware Release Notes
----
> > > Version 4.1.1 (4/03/2000)

> > > New Features and Enhancements:
> > > * This firmware adds support for the new SonicWALL XPRS product.
> > > * Support for IKE negotiation with the new SonicWALL VPN client
3.02
> > > has been added.

> > > Bug Fixes:
> > > None

> > Except the BIN file on the Sonicwall Web and FTP sites
> > for the SOHO version still shows 4.1.0

> See above:

> ?Current firmware is available at <http://firmware.sonicwall.com>.?

> This means you have to go to this page to get the firmware.

> --
> Ole Vik, Connect AS, Blakstadmarka 26, N-1386 Asker, Norway.
> Telephone +47-66 90 23 00. Telefax +47-66 90 23 05.

Ole, I am a bit confused. That link brings you to a page that says "VPN
Downloads". I have two SOHO's without VPN options. When I enter my
serial number it brings me to a page that says "SonicWALL SOHO/DMZ with
encryption (English)" on a page that is titled "VPN Downloads". Is the
4.1.1 release only for SOHO's with the VPN options installed or should
all users use this "with encryption" firmware?

Also, it should be noted that on the "Free Downloads" page there is a
link that says "SonicWALL SOHO and DMZ Firmware (version 4.1.1)", but
this link is broken (ie doesn't point to any file and causes an error).

Any ideas?

Kurt

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

SonicWALL 4.1.1 firmware released

Post by kurt_mil.. » Wed, 05 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> > > says...

<http://firmware.sonicwall.com>.

Quote:

> ----

> 3.02

> > > Except the BIN file on the Sonicwall Web and FTP sites
> > > for the SOHO version still shows 4.1.0

> > See above:

> > ?Current firmware is available at <http://firmware.sonicwall.com>.?

> > This means you have to go to this page to get the firmware.

> > --
> > Ole Vik, Connect AS, Blakstadmarka 26, N-1386 Asker, Norway.
> > Telephone +47-66 90 23 00. Telefax +47-66 90 23 05.

> Ole, I am a bit confused. That link brings you to a page that
says "VPN
> Downloads". I have two SOHO's without VPN options. When I enter my
> serial number it brings me to a page that says "SonicWALL SOHO/DMZ
with
> encryption (English)" on a page that is titled "VPN Downloads". Is the
> 4.1.1 release only for SOHO's with the VPN options installed or should
> all users use this "with encryption" firmware?

> Also, it should be noted that on the "Free Downloads" page there is a
> link that says "SonicWALL SOHO and DMZ Firmware (version 4.1.1)", but
> this link is broken (ie doesn't point to any file and causes an
error).

> Any ideas?

> Kurt

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

No need to reply. SonicWall has fixed the broken link on the "Free
Downloads" page. It now points to the 4.1.1 firmware.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

SonicWALL 4.1.1 firmware released

Post by ampute » Thu, 06 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Just for future reference for anyone else asking the same question, the VPN
firmware contained
on the VPN firmware download site has the capability to do VPN (hence the
"with encryption" tag),
but it is not functional unless you have a VPN license, so if you
don't..it's not a problem, just download it
anyway, it doesn't decrease performance or anything.
Quote:

> Ole, I am a bit confused. That link brings you to a page that says "VPN
> Downloads". I have two SOHO's without VPN options. When I enter my
> serial number it brings me to a page that says "SonicWALL SOHO/DMZ with
> encryption (English)" on a page that is titled "VPN Downloads". Is the
> 4.1.1 release only for SOHO's with the VPN options installed or should
> all users use this "with encryption" firmware?

> Also, it should be noted that on the "Free Downloads" page there is a
> link that says "SonicWALL SOHO and DMZ Firmware (version 4.1.1)", but
> this link is broken (ie doesn't point to any file and causes an error).

> Any ideas?

> Kurt

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

SonicWALL 4.1.1 firmware released

Post by Greg Aske » Mon, 10 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Indeed there was a problem with more than a single inbound concurrent PPTP
connection, at least when using NAT.

I upgraded to 4.1.1, and amazingly enough, it is working now.  I'm going to
test
this out for a while before jumping up and down, but it does look promising.