Firewall suggestion

Post by Rand » Fri, 09 Mar 2001 23:32:57

I am looking to purchase two firewalls, one in our office and a second in a
remote office. We will be running a VPN between the two offices. We are
installing a 1.5 DSL in both locations and we will moving fairly large files
between the two locations.

I am looking at Sonicwall PRO-VX, Watchguard Firebox II Plus FastVPN, and
the Velociraptor. Can anyone give me suggestions on which firewall I should
purchase.

I heard the support for the sonicwall is great and the support for the
firebox is not so good.

Thanks for any help.

Randy

Firewall suggestion

Post by mramund » Sat, 10 Mar 2001 03:14:50

Hi Randy-

Actually, I've heard the opposite - in this group, it has been reported that
Sonicwall's support has been substandard.  I've used the Watchguard support,
and while it's not up to par with Cisco's, it's definitely better than
Sonicwall's.  Watchguard includes 1 year of technical support with their
firewall, along with a year subscription to their content filtering service.

You've picked three worthwhile products - as with a lot of things, you get
what you pay for.  If money is really tight, go with the Sonicwall.  If
you've got a little more, the Watchguard will do everything you want and
more.  I'm not familiar with the Velociraptor product, but I have used
Raptor on NT -  it's a great firewall, and their support is topnotch -
however, this will be the priciest solution.

Mark Amundsen

mramundsATemailDOTcom

Quote:> I am looking to purchase two firewalls, one in our office and a second in
> remote office. We will be running a VPN between the two offices. We are
> installing a 1.5 DSL in both locations and we will moving fairly large
files
> between the two locations.

> I am looking at Sonicwall PRO-VX, Watchguard Firebox II Plus FastVPN, and
> the Velociraptor. Can anyone give me suggestions on which firewall I
should
> purchase.

> I heard the support for the sonicwall is great and the support for the
> firebox is not so good.

> Thanks for any help.

> Randy

Firewall suggestion

Post by Lars M. Hanse » Sat, 10 Mar 2001 10:39:00

On Thu, 8 Mar 2001 08:32:57 -0600, Randy spoketh

Quote:>I am looking to purchase two firewalls, one in our office and a second in a
>remote office. We will be running a VPN between the two offices. We are
>installing a 1.5 DSL in both locations and we will moving fairly large files
>between the two locations.

>I am looking at Sonicwall PRO-VX, Watchguard Firebox II Plus FastVPN, and
>the Velociraptor. Can anyone give me suggestions on which firewall I should
>purchase.

>I heard the support for the sonicwall is great and the support for the
>firebox is not so good.

>Thanks for any help.

>Randy

Support for the Sonicwalls really depends on what you pay for it. If you
don't buy their support package, you get only e-mail support, which may
take a week to get the initial reply! And if that doesn't magically
solve your problem, you'll need to get into a discussion with the e-mail
tech support, which can drag on. If you pay for it, you'll get a phone
number, and support is (rumored to be) better.

All three products are good, the VelociRaptor would probably be the most
secure solution...

1. New Advanced Firewall Suggestions?

Am I looking for firewall appliance suggestions based on the
requirements listed below.  Please offer any helpful input.

    *** Firewall Requirements ***

1 - Proxy/packet filter hybrid firewall technology.
     Ability to use either proxy or packet filter
     for tcp port use depending on requirements.

2 - Firewall AntiVirus option to check for any viruses
     passing through it.

3 - VPN, both IPSEC and PPTP

     Firewall company should have a SOHO firewall
     that supports dialup/dsl to an ISP and VPN to
     HQ firewall for "extended" LAN over Internet.
     The VPN network address has to be static so that
     UNIX host print jobs can be routed over the VPN
     to a printer in the SOHO location.

4 - Ability to add up to 4 network interfaces to allow for
     2 separate DMZs.

5 - SPI, and Denial Of Service defense.

6 - User groups that are attached to a security
     policy.  For example, RestrictedUsers would
     only be able to HTTP browse a predefined set of
     web sites, and Unrestricted Users would have no
     restrictions on HTTP browsing and could connect
     to FTP servers on the Internet and telnet out.

7 - Flexible user authentication mechanism including local
     database, to WindowsNT domain database.

8 - Script blocking: Block ActiveX and VBScript but allow
     JavaScript and Java.

9 - URL blocking defined by categories and user defined, attached
     to security policy.

10 - Management via SSL/TLS browser connection.

11 - Real Time monitoring of Internet activity broken
      down by TCP service port.  Reporting module includes
      Top Sites and User Analysis including bytes transferred.

12 - Definable firewall alerts to email address(s)

13 - Support up to 200 users to allow for future growth.

Thanks,
Dan

2. Money 2002 Monthly Reports

3. Firewall suggestion

4. Turning a level off when plotting?

5. firewall Suggestions?

6. Publishing from FP97 using VSS 5.0

7. Firewall suggestions

8. MagiC file selector

9. Need a firewall suggestion (residential)

10. Firewall suggestions needed

11. Firewall suggestion for SOHO

12. Rule-based Win2000 firewall - suggestions?

13. Modem sharing/firewall suggestion for sm. business