Eliminating Firewall

Post by Roger G » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I recently purchased a Linksys Router/Firewall to network
two home computers using RR cable modem service.
Previously, I had been using Zone Alarm on one PC, and Blackice on the other,
( no reason really other than to compare the two).
Once I install the Linksys is there any reason I even need to have the software
based firewalls installed anymore? Does having a software firewall running along
with the Linksys even provide that more much security, or will it just create
headaches, (anticipated or unforseen)? I don't plan on running any computers
in the DMZ.

Eliminating Firewall

Post by Pankaj Aror » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I'm not sure about the Linksys Router/Firewall -- I would assume it is
designed to be fairly secure, but to really be secure it must allow room for
changes and customizations.  Can you change firewall rules on it?  Linksys'
website didn't have details about that -- but it did have a firmware update
section for device -- which is a really good thing; it would be stupid not
to at least allow firmware updates to something like that.

Even assuming the Linksys Router/Firewall is very secure, the thing that I
like about ZoneAlarm [Not sure about Blackice] is that it also monitors what
leaves your computer -- and if something fishy is leaving, you get the
chance to stop it.  This prevents programs that are sending data to the net
that may not need to be [such as spyware] and also allows you to stop Trojan
horses such as BO/BO2K before they allow room for damage -- that example
shouldn't matter, however, since with the router people won't be able to
establish a direct connection to you -- you must initiate the connections.

Either way, my point it running ZoneAlarm internally may not be as crucial
as it would be if the machines were hooked up to the outside world directly,
but, it doesn't hurt still running programs like ZoneAlarm.  You can't beat
the price for ZoneAlarm anyway :-)

Quote:> I recently purchased a Linksys Router/Firewall to network
> two home computers using RR cable modem service.
> Previously, I had been using Zone Alarm on one PC, and Blackice on the
other,
> ( no reason really other than to compare the two).
> Once I install the Linksys is there any reason I even need to have the
software
> based firewalls installed anymore? Does having a software firewall running
along
> with the Linksys even provide that more much security, or will it just
create
> headaches, (anticipated or unforseen)? I don't plan on running any
computers
> in the DMZ.

Eliminating Firewall

Post by Ben Noj » Tue, 11 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Thats one thing I dislike very much after buying it...

I was used to being able to specify my own rules under linux, but with the
linksys there is no logging and no in depth configuration options other than
port forwarding, blocking access (only on outbound traffic, go figure..) and
setting up routing and a basic DMZ.

> I'm not sure about the Linksys Router/Firewall -- I would assume it is
> designed to be fairly secure, but to really be secure it must allow room
for
> changes and customizations.  Can you change firewall rules on it?
Linksys'
> website didn't have details about that -- but it did have a firmware
update
> section for device -- which is a really good thing; it would be stupid not
> to at least allow firmware updates to something like that.

> Even assuming the Linksys Router/Firewall is very secure, the thing that I
> like about ZoneAlarm [Not sure about Blackice] is that it also monitors
what
> leaves your computer -- and if something fishy is leaving, you get the
> chance to stop it.  This prevents programs that are sending data to the
net
> that may not need to be [such as spyware] and also allows you to stop
Trojan
> horses such as BO/BO2K before they allow room for damage -- that example
> shouldn't matter, however, since with the router people won't be able to
> establish a direct connection to you -- you must initiate the connections.

> Either way, my point it running ZoneAlarm internally may not be as crucial
> as it would be if the machines were hooked up to the outside world
directly,
> but, it doesn't hurt still running programs like ZoneAlarm.  You can't
beat
> the price for ZoneAlarm anyway :-)

> > I recently purchased a Linksys Router/Firewall to network
> > two home computers using RR cable modem service.
> > Previously, I had been using Zone Alarm on one PC, and Blackice on the
> other,
> > ( no reason really other than to compare the two).
> > Once I install the Linksys is there any reason I even need to have the
> software
> > based firewalls installed anymore? Does having a software firewall
running
> along
> > with the Linksys even provide that more much security, or will it just
> create
> > headaches, (anticipated or unforseen)? I don't plan on running any
> computers
> > in the DMZ.

Eliminating Firewall

Post by John Nava » Sat, 22 Jul 2000 04:00:00

[POSTED TO comp.dcom.modems.cable]

Quote:>I recently purchased a Linksys Router/Firewall to network
>two home computers using RR cable modem service.
>Previously, I had been using Zone Alarm on one PC, and Blackice on the other,
>( no reason really other than to compare the two).
>Once I install the Linksys is there any reason I even need to have the software
>based firewalls installed anymore? Does having a software firewall running along
>with the Linksys even provide that more much security, or will it just create
>headaches, (anticipated or unforseen)? I don't plan on running any computers
>in the DMZ.

The principal advantage of a local software firewall is monitoring
outbound connections by application, something that is not possible with
a standalone hardware firewall.  This can provide protection against
trojans (e.g., spyware).

--
Best regards,
John Navas     <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/>

Eliminating Firewall

Post by c dossm » Tue, 15 Aug 2000 04:00:00

>[POSTED TO comp.dcom.modems.cable]

>>I recently purchased a Linksys Router/Firewall to network
>>two home computers using RR cable modem service.
>>Previously, I had been using Zone Alarm on one PC, and Blackice on the other,
>>( no reason really other than to compare the two).
>>Once I install the Linksys is there any reason I even need to have the
> software
>>based firewalls installed anymore? Does having a software firewall running
> along
>>with the Linksys even provide that more much security, or will it just create
>>headaches, (anticipated or unforseen)? I don't plan on running any computers
>>in the DMZ.

>The principal advantage of a local software firewall is monitoring
>outbound connections by application, something that is not possible with
>a standalone hardware firewall.  This can provide protection against
>trojans (e.g., spyware).

Geez John, I was hoping you were still around. You have been such a great help
to me through the years.

Eliminating Firewall

Post by larsmhan.. » Wed, 16 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> The principal advantage of a local software firewall is monitoring
> outbound connections by application, something that is not possible
with
> a standalone hardware firewall.  This can provide protection against
> trojans (e.g., spyware).

> --
> Best regards,
> John Navas     <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/>
>      CABLE MODEM/DSL GUIDE:  <http://Cable-DSL.home.att.net/>

Wouldn't your anti-virus software make sure you're trojan free...

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. "Pirate CD's" Will it be eliminated????

Hi there,

I would like to discuss on the matter of the "Pirate Cd's".  It seems
that many countries are working hard to try to eliminate those illegal
CD's, includes software, game and even the mp3.

I just wonder what do you guys think of those pirate cd's, do you
think the pirate cd's are good as it is so cheap and the price of the
original are much much higher than the pirate one, do you think that
the pirate cd's will finally be eliminated?

I will be really appreciated for any commence.

best regards,
Dirak

2. Graphical coordinate system

3. How to eliminate the need for entering passphrase?

4. pointer declaration

5. Eliminate sshd DNS lookup delays

6. Geotrains Netgun CCIE course

7. eliminating password dialog box

8. Driver for SUPERQUAD 4X CD55A

9. How to eliminate crosspostings

10. HELP NOW! HOW TO ELIMINATE "SLACK SPACE" PROBLEM?

11. SHOULD I PROTECT MY FIREWALLS FIREWALL WITH A FIREWALL?

12. Home Firewall VS Enterprise Firewall