NEEDED:Single PC security software

Post by Luc Holla » Wed, 28 Sep 1994 22:03:29

I have been looking around for about a week now for a piece of software
and have had no luck whatsoever in finding if something like what I need
actually exsists.

What I am hoping to find is a way of securing directories/drives from
various users of a single PC.  What is hapenning is some of the users
wind up corrupting important and semi-important files from time to time,
and for peace of mind would like to find a way to restrict access.  Since
this single PC must be used by many different people, perhaps there is
someway to assign usernames and directory priveledges much the same way
as on a network?

Any help in pointing to some software/shareware that is even *remotely*
like this would be greatly appreciated.

And if this isn't the place to post this, sorry to intrude!

Regards,

--
---Luc Holland--------------------------------------------------------------

- (902) 494-1954         |      >>--(x x)-->    |four years and still have|
- 'Where's my coffee!?!' |-------oOO-(_)-OOo-----|no ideas for a .sig      |

Post by Padgett 0siri » Wed, 28 Sep 1994 23:09:29

>What I am hoping to find is a way of securing directories/drives from
>various users of a single PC.

Enigma-Logic PC-Safe
Fischer Int'l Watchdog
PC-DACS

or possibly just NWDOS 7.0

                        A. Padgett Peterson, P.E.
                        *netic Psychophysicist
                           We also walk dogs
                       PGP 2.4 Public Key Available

NEEDED:Single PC security software

Post by Safety N » Thu, 29 Sep 1994 21:38:35

StopLight provides drive, directory and file-level controls of Read,
Write, Create, Delete and Execute.  This is similar to the controls
offered by Netware, Vines, and others.  By removing all of the
privileges, the drive, directory or file is not accessible to the
user.

An eval of the entry level version, StopLight ELS, is available on
CompuServe in the Safetynet section of the Novell Vendor A forum or
through our BBS at 1-201-467-1581 (14.4,n,8,1).

Regards,

Bob Janacek - Technical Director
Safetynet, Inc.

[...]

: --

: ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEEDED:Single PC security software

Post by Solid Oak Softwa » Fri, 30 Sep 1994 08:04:41

You can try out our package, FileSentry PRO.  It provides access control
at the file, directory, or drive level and by file type as well. You can
anon ftp to solidoak.com:/pub/solidoak/fspro.zip or it is in the IBMSYS
forum on Compuserve.

Ket me know if it is close.

Brian Milburn

Post by Bob Bos » Sun, 02 Oct 1994 01:20:50

: >What I am hoping to find is a way of securing directories/drives from
: >various users of a single PC.

: Enigma-Logic PC-Safe

You can obtain a free evaluation copy of SafeWord PC-Safe III
(by Enigma Logic) via anonymous ftp as follows. Ftp to:

ftp.netcom.com

then cd to:

/pub/bbosen/Enigma/PC-LanSafe

and have a look around. You'll find a "read.me" file that will
tell you how to proceed from there. This is an encrypting file
system that seems to meet your requirements. Note that this
demonstration version has had the heart cut out of its crypto
engine: it just does a ridiculously simple character substituion
so it can't be defined as a crypto system for U.S. export
control purposes. The demo version will allow you to see
exactly how the product functions, though. You'll be able to
verify compatibility and administrative power.

I hope it helps you.

Regards,

--

Bob Bosen
Enigma Logic Inc.

Tel: +1 510 827-5707

* "It wasn't me!!! Somebody must have captured my username/password!!!"  *

Post by Kelly Lee Setz » Mon, 03 Oct 1994 01:57:47

: : What I am hoping to find is a way of securing directories/drives from
: : various users of a single PC.  What is hapenning is some of the users
: : wind up corrupting important and semi-important files from time to time,
: : and for peace of mind would like to find a way to restrict access.  Since
: : this single PC must be used by many different people, perhaps there is
: : someway to assign usernames and directory priveledges much the same way
: : as on a network?

I'm looking for something along these lines.  I need a shareware/freeware
solution, though.  And I'm not looking for high-level security, just enough to
keep the windows-weenies from formatting the hard drive (and other mischief).

Kelly