Reverse map delay on OpenSSH 3.4 on FreeBSD

Reverse map delay on OpenSSH 3.4 on FreeBSD

Post by Aaron Baughe » Sat, 29 Jun 2002 01:16:35

I've just installed OpenSSH 3.4 on five FreeBSD systems (4.5-RELEASE)
from the port tree.  Four of them are working fine, but when I try to
ssh into the fifth one, it pauses for 30 seconds or so before giving
me a password prompt and letting me login.  I turned on debugging in
sshd, and found this line came after the pause:

  Could not reverse map address 205.205.205.205.  (IP munged.)

However, I can nslookup the IP just fine, and other programs that do
reverse lookups are working fine.  I've also tried these options in
sshd_config:

VerifyReverseMapping no
ReverseMappingCheck no

and run sshd with -u0, with no improvement.  I'm using IP rules in
/etc/hosts.allow to control access.  I'm not using any RHosts stuff,
but I do have RSAAuthentication on, and I need it for other clients.

Any suggestions?

Aaron

Post by chri » Sat, 29 Jun 2002 04:54:45

> However, I can nslookup the IP just fine, and other programs that do
> reverse lookups are working fine.

Try looking up your IP against what the server is using, look at
/etc/resolv.conf to get a list, then for each do (use dig, nslookup is
lame):

etc

and run it from the server, to make sure sshd can.

Post by Aaron Baughe » Sat, 29 Jun 2002 19:58:48

> Try looking up your IP against what the server is using, look at
> /etc/resolv.conf to get a list, then for each do (use dig, nslookup
> is lame):

Works fine; returns the FQDN immediately.  This is a new problem, that
just developed when installing OpenSSH 3.4.  Also, it doesn't help to
put the FQDN and IP in /etc/hosts; sshd still delays trying to reverse
map the IP.

Aaron

1. Installing openss 2.2.0p1 on FreeBSD 3.4

Greetings,

I'm having some problems getting openssh2.2.0p1 installed on a freebsd
3.4  machine.  I'm not familiar with freebsd as I am with bsdi, in
addtion to  the fact that PAM modules are somewhat a mystery to me.
Basically, if I  compile using this configuration command,

  ./configure --with-etcdir=/usr/local/etc
--with-ssl-dir=/usr/local/openssl

I am able to compile it and install it fine. The problem, is when
clients  connect to the server, their windows client programs keep
asking for their  password or with unix clients i get a permission
denied.  In my log file I  see that sshd is giving an error message
of:

.... sshd[94861]: no modules loaded for `sshd' service

Ok, I figure it's the pam module, so I decide to compile using:

../configure --with-etcdir=/usr/local/etc
--with-ssl-dir=/usr/local/openssl
- --without-pam

But it bombs during the make...

/usr/local -lssh -lopenbsd-compat -lz  -lutil -lcrypto
auth-passwd.o: In function `auth_password':
/usr/local/packages/in-progress/openssh-2.2.0p1/auth-passwd.c(.text+0x72):
undefined reference to `crypt'
gmake: *** [sshd] Error 1

Any suggestions?

Mahalo,
Booker

2. *nix for an A2500/30 ?

3. 3.4 : Privilege separation & compression on Freebsd?

4. persiting xml dom in application variable

5. Turning off reverse address mapping in OpenSSH

6. Anderaa conjecture

7. X fails with upgrade to OpenSSH 3.4

8. Market Share numbers:

9. OpenSSH 3.4 Packages for RH 6.2?

10. problem installing openssh 3.4 on Mandrake 8.1

11. Privilege separation in OpenSSH 3.4 and operating system support

12. Installing OpenSSH 3.4

13. OpenSSH over PPPD doesn't work with 3.4?