Tiny F/W Rules

Post by bassba » Mon, 05 Nov 2001 21:17:27

Have made a rule for OE to connect to newsgroups (freeserve)
Protocol...TCP
Direction....Outgoing
Port Type.....Any Port
Application.....OE (Path)
Address Type....single
Host Address........195.92.195.157
Port Type.....Single Port
Port Number....119
Rule Valid...Always
Permit....yes.

Everything works fine with  above rules except when applying another rule
suggested in Tiny FAQ...which is..
"Block Outbound Unathorized Apps TCP UDP.
Protocol....TCP & UDP
Direction.....Outgoing
Port Type ...Any
Local App....Any
Remote Address Type.....Any
Port Type....Any
Action....Deny.
This rule is blocking the first one that Ive implemented.How do I get both
to work successfully?.
Thanks in advance
me

---

Tiny F/W Rules

Post by denni » Mon, 05 Nov 2001 21:36:38

Quote:> Have made a rule for OE to connect to newsgroups (freeserve)
> Protocol...TCP
> Direction....Outgoing
> Port Type.....Any Port
> Application.....OE (Path)
> Address Type....single
> Host Address........195.92.195.157
> Port Type.....Single Port
> Port Number....119
> Rule Valid...Always
> Permit....yes.

> Everything works fine with  above rules except when applying another rule
> suggested in Tiny FAQ...which is..
> "Block Outbound Unathorized Apps TCP UDP.
> Protocol....TCP & UDP
> Direction.....Outgoing
> Port Type ...Any
> Local App....Any
> Remote Address Type.....Any
> Port Type....Any
> Action....Deny.
> This rule is blocking the first one that Ive implemented.How do I get both
> to work successfully?.
> Thanks in advance
> me

Your second rule (which blocks everything) must be below all your other
rules which allow activity.

If it still seems to be blocking OE then edit the rule and check the
"display alert box when this rule match" box.  This means that when the
alert box pops up it will contain details of what it is blocking allowing
you to adjust the OE rule (eg just guessing but maybe freeserve news
actually uses an IP address range rather than the single IP you've allowed).

Tiny F/W Rules

Post by bassba » Mon, 05 Nov 2001 22:11:06

Thanks Dennis...
It was both reasons that you mentioned ,that caused the problem.Did as you
suggested and its working fine.
Thanks again
me

> > Have made a rule for OE to connect to newsgroups (freeserve)
> > Protocol...TCP
> > Direction....Outgoing
> > Port Type.....Any Port
> > Application.....OE (Path)
> > Address Type....single
> > Host Address........195.92.195.157
> > Port Type.....Single Port
> > Port Number....119
> > Rule Valid...Always
> > Permit....yes.

> > Everything works fine with  above rules except when applying another
rule
> > suggested in Tiny FAQ...which is..
> > "Block Outbound Unathorized Apps TCP UDP.
> > Protocol....TCP & UDP
> > Direction.....Outgoing
> > Port Type ...Any
> > Local App....Any
> > Remote Address Type.....Any
> > Port Type....Any
> > Action....Deny.
> > This rule is blocking the first one that Ive implemented.How do I get
both
> > to work successfully?.
> > Thanks in advance
> > me

> Your second rule (which blocks everything) must be below all your other
> rules which allow activity.

> If it still seems to be blocking OE then edit the rule and check the
> "display alert box when this rule match" box.  This means that when the
> alert box pops up it will contain details of what it is blocking allowing
> you to adjust the OE rule (eg just guessing but maybe freeserve news
> actually uses an IP address range rather than the single IP you've
allowed).

---

1. Tiny Personal Firewall on WinXP Pro - keeps prompting - ignores filter rules

Hi

I am using Tiny Personal Firewall on Windows XP Pro. My problem is that it
doesn't seem to reference the rules that I create and it always prompts me
with 'connection alerts'.

For example...

Details:
Someone on address 192.168.126.2 wants to send ICMP packet to your machine

Details about application:
tcpip kernel driver

(I assume this is from my cable ISP.)

When such an alert is displayed I check "Create appropriate filter rule and
don't ask me again' then click 'Permit'.

When I look at my list of filter rules the rule has been created (once for
each time I do this) but it continues to prompt which is a pain.

Up until a couple of months ago I had been using the free Zone Alarm
firewall quite happily, then I upgrade ZA to the trial version of the 'paid
for' version with a view to maybe buying for it. This version of ZA had the
same problem that it ignored rules and kept prompting, hence I eventually
removed ZA altogether. Now I thought I'll try Tiny, but I'm getting the same
problem.

Has anyone had a similar problem / know a solution?

Thanks
Ollie

2. tcp/ip on laptop

3. tiny firewall resetting rules

4. What I want to see different

5. Tiny 3.0 Forgetting Permanent Rules

6. Graduate student ISO employment

7. Kerio (Tiny) Personal Firewall rule 'TCP ack packet attack'

8. legend formatting question

9. Tiny Personal Firewall,automatic rule removing

10. Tiny Personal Firewall - where are the rules stored

11. Tiny Personal Firewall bugs in rule creation

12. Tiny Firewall and rule for LAN please help

13. Tiny F/W Rules order.