Firewall Introductions?

Post by Wesley Griff » Wed, 13 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Are there any good books on firewalls and their use?  I'm a soon-to-be
college student and would like to learn about them, possibly even using
TIS's firewall toolkit (I just read it was free) to put together my own
system.  Any suggestions?  Thanks

--
]-----
Wesley Griffin

]-----

Firewall Introductions?

Post by fi.. » Thu, 14 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>Are there any good books on firewalls and their use?  I'm a soon-to-be
>college student and would like to learn about them, possibly even using
>TIS's firewall toolkit (I just read it was free) to put together my own
>system.  Any suggestions?  Thanks

>--
>]-----
>Wesley Griffin

I've found that "Building Internet Firewalls" by Chapman & Zwicky and published
by O'Reilly & Associates, to be very good reading.

As a beginner it helped me a lot.

Quote:>]-----

Firewall Introductions?

Post by Art Dunc » Sat, 16 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> Are there any good books on firewalls and their use?  I'm a soon-to-be
> college student and would like to learn about them, possibly even using
> TIS's firewall toolkit (I just read it was free) to put together my own
> system.  Any suggestions?  Thanks

You could try the standard reference, Firewalls and Internet Security,
by Cheswick and Bellovin (Addison-Wesley 1994).

One of the best short introductions I've seen is the article "Thinking
about Firewalls," by Marcus Ranum. It's available by anonymous FTP from

        ftp.tis.com

You should also read the firewall FAQ, which you can find at

        http://www.iwi.com

Hope this helps,

---------------------------------------
  Art Duncan
  Adjunct Professor of Computer Science
  Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Firewall Introductions?

Post by Dan Berg » Wed, 20 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Are there any good books on firewalls and their use?  I'm a soon-to-be
>college student and would like to learn about them, possibly even using
>TIS's firewall toolkit (I just read it was free) to put together my own
>system.  Any suggestions?  Thanks

You might try:

        _Firewalls and Internet Security_ by Cheswick and Bellovin
        ISBN: 0-201-63357-4
or

        _Building Internet Firewalls_ by Chapman and Zwicky
        ISBN: 1-56592-124-0

..Dan Berger
   Coordinator of Operations
   Simulation Sciences Inc.
   http://www.simsci.com/~dberger/

Firewall Introductions?

Post by Operat » Fri, 22 Dec 1995 04:00:00

|>Are there any good books on firewalls and their use?  I'm a soon-to-be
|>college student and would like to learn about them, possibly even using
|>TIS's firewall toolkit (I just read it was free) to put together my own
|>system.  Any suggestions?  Thanks
|>

|You might try:
|
|       _Firewalls and Internet Security_ by Cheswick and Bellovin
|       ISBN: 0-201-63357-4
|or
|
|       _Building Internet Firewalls_ by Chapman and Zwicky
|       ISBN: 1-56592-124-0

        also:

        _Internet Firewalls and Network Security_ by Siyan
        ISBN: 1-56205-437-6

--
Bruce Becker    News Administration     Toronto, Ont.

"Beware of geeks bearing GIF's" - C. Shergold