SNMPv2 versus SSL versus IPSEC versus Kerberos

SNMPv2 versus SSL versus IPSEC versus Kerberos

Post by Patrick Knig » Wed, 11 Apr 2001 04:01:02

Can anyone briefly point out the differences (pros and cons) of SNMPv2 (or
greater) versus SSL, IPSEC and Kerberos? Is there another pre*
network security protocol out there that may be comparable to these?

Thanks,

Patrick L. Knight

--
Posted from [63.85.115.10]
via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.veryComputer.com/

Post by pe.. » Wed, 11 Apr 2001 07:18:13

> Can anyone briefly point out the differences (pros and cons) of SNMPv2 (or
> greater) versus SSL, IPSEC and Kerberos? Is there another pre*
> network security protocol out there that may be comparable to these?

OK, i''l bite

snmp is a network managemnt framwork, has nothing to do with security

ssl is a transport layer security "subroutine package" capable of
negotiating keys and transport TCP data with slightly modificated
programs

ipsec is a encryption and signature architecture that may protect
any ip traffic, in addition key handling and (machine) identification
is provided

kerberos is a distributed user authentifier that generates "tickets"
that other applications may trust.

Apart from those differences they are somewhat simular :-)

Quote:> Thanks,
> Patrick L. Knight
> --
> Posted from [63.85.115.10]
> via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.veryComputer.com/

--
Peter H?kanson
        IPSec  Sverige      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)

Post by H C » Wed, 11 Apr 2001 08:05:32

> > Can anyone briefly point out the differences (pros and cons) of SNMPv2 (or
> > greater) versus SSL, IPSEC and Kerberos? Is there another pre*
> > network security protocol out there that may be comparable to these?

They are all acronyms, except for the last one.