Encrypting Office documents stored on netdisks

Encrypting Office documents stored on netdisks

Post by Matz Engstr » Mon, 18 Feb 2002 05:40:58

At my company we share a lot of documentation on netdisks. Most is
written as Word or Excel or other Office documents. Some is sensitive,
so it ought to be encrypted. Have you seen any products, probably
plugins to Office, that enable me to store the documents encrypted,
and to have them travel over the network encrypted, to be decrypted
when opened in Office? It should be good encryption, and not what is
part of Office out of the box. Encrypted file systems and disks are no
good, since then the document will be decrypted before being sent over
the network to my PC
Regards / Matz

Encrypting Office documents stored on netdisks

Post by Jeremy Bisho » Mon, 18 Feb 2002 05:54:49

Matz Engstrom spake thus:

Quote:> At my company we share a lot of documentation on netdisks. Most is
> written as Word or Excel or other Office documents. Some is sensitive,
> so it ought to be encrypted. Have you seen any products, probably
> plugins to Office, that enable me to store the documents encrypted,
> and to have them travel over the network encrypted, to be decrypted
> when opened in Office? It should be good encryption, and not what is

Easiest I can think of would be to use IPsec on your network.  This
would have the benefit of protecting all traffic, not just Office docs.
 Combining this with encrypted disks should give you all you need in
the way of security.  (Oh, except on the local workstation, where
you'll likely have temp copies scattered around.)

--
"The bullets are just his way of saying 'Keep it down, I've got a
hangover.'"

Post by p.. » Mon, 18 Feb 2002 07:58:55

> At my company we share a lot of documentation on netdisks. Most is
> written as Word or Excel or other Office documents. Some is sensitive,
> so it ought to be encrypted. Have you seen any products, probably
> plugins to Office, that enable me to store the documents encrypted,
> and to have them travel over the network encrypted, to be decrypted
> when opened in Office? It should be good encryption, and not what is
> part of Office out of the box. Encrypted file systems and disks are no
> good, since then the document will be decrypted before being sent over
> the network to my PC
> Regards / Matz

Get PGP, it won't "plugin" to "office", however it's still both
reasonable easy and still secure.

It allows to encrypt documents to several persons at once if that
is a requirement, without sharing any "public secrets". ( everyone has
a public/private keypair, the public keys are known to everyone).

--
Peter H?kanson
        IPSec  Sverige      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)

Post by Adrian Edmond » Mon, 18 Feb 2002 17:13:37

Quote:> At my company we share a lot of documentation on netdisks. Most is
> written as Word or Excel or other Office documents. Some is sensitive,
> so it ought to be encrypted. Have you seen any products, probably
> plugins to Office, that enable me to store the documents encrypted,
> and to have them travel over the network encrypted, to be decrypted
> when opened in Office? It should be good encryption, and not what is
> part of Office out of the box. Encrypted file systems and disks are no
> good, since then the document will be decrypted before being sent over
> the network to my PC
> Regards / Matz

You might like to see our product VoiceProof on the website in my sig.

--
Adrian Edmonds
Your voice is your key

1. Storing password in encrypted form

Hi!
  I would like to store encrypted password into database (
in order to keep history of passwords during last 12
months). Application is written in VB5 and target database
is Sybase 11.9.2.

My original idea is that I do checking against history of
passwords, stored in encrypted form. To do that I need a
program that will encrypt password and that encryption
will give the same encrypted password for the same input.
I shuld be able to call this program from VB5.

Do you know any freeware that would be able to do this?

Regards

John

2. Remembering window sizes

3. Double clicking on MS Office documents from Windows Explorer may execute arbitrary programs in some cases

4. benefits of sonicwall VPN over 2000 IPsec

5. Stripping out VBA from Office document attachments at the Enterprise/Internet perimeter

6. OS-9 on the Mac

7. Encrypting word documents

8. Newbie VPN - My head hurts

9. VPN - Branch office to Branch office - Secure?

10. Is two times encrypting ALWAYS more secure than one time encrypting ???

11. Encrypting again an already encrypted file increase security ?

12. ZoneAlarm - where are Program Control settings stored?

13. Tiny Personal Firewall - where are the rules stored