Norton Personal Firewall 2003 or ZA Pro???

Norton Personal Firewall 2003 or ZA Pro???

Post by NeoSadis » Wed, 20 Nov 2002 20:30:36

First off, this would be an opinion question.  My preference is NPF, but
that's just me.
But seriously, ZAP is for people who want security without having to
configure things.
NPF, while able to configure itself, is a lot more customizeable, making it
more adaptive.
But NPF isn't for everyone.
By the way, if you have WinXP, the internet connection firewall (included in
WinXP) is enough, in my opinion, for home use.

Norton Personal Firewall 2003 or ZA Pro???

Post by Robert Dubenezi » Thu, 21 Nov 2002 00:52:10

I noticed that when I have NPF installed I do not get any intrusion alerts.
When I had ZA installed, I got them all the time.

Thanks

Bob

Post by NeoSadis » Thu, 21 Nov 2002 03:48:12

> I noticed that when I have NPF installed I do not get any intrusion
alerts.
> When I had ZA installed, I got them all the time.

> Thanks

> Bob

> > First off, this would be an opinion question.  My preference is NPF, but
> > that's just me.
> > But seriously, ZAP is for people who want security without having to
> > configure things.
> > NPF, while able to configure itself, is a lot more customizeable, making
> it
> > more adaptive.
> > But NPF isn't for everyone.
> > By the way, if you have WinXP, the internet connection firewall
(included
> in
> > WinXP) is enough, in my opinion, for home use.

Could be because it's auto-configuring itself.
Could also be a bad uninstall from ZAP (same results as the "two firewalls
are worse than just one")
I dunno.  PCMag is still ranking NIS and NPF above ZAP, but it's a marginal
difference (i.e. not worth mentioning the difference, cause it's so small)

Norton Personal Firewall 2003 or ZA Pro???

Post by John Scanla » Thu, 21 Nov 2002 05:35:35

Go into "Alerting Level" on the main screen (for Norton Firewall). There is
a slider control that will show as many intrusion alerts as you can stand to
see.
John Scanlan

Quote:> I noticed that when I have NPF installed I do not get any intrusion
alerts.
> When I had ZA installed, I got them all the time.

> Thanks

> Bob

Norton Personal Firewall 2003 or ZA Pro???

Post by Robert Dubenezi » Thu, 21 Nov 2002 09:54:35

I purchased the NAV Pro 2003 and NPF 2003 bundle directly from Symantec.  I
just wiped my HDD clean and only have NPF installed as my firewall.

Thanks

Bob

> On Tue, 19 Nov 2002 08:14:11 GMT, "Robert Dubenezic"

> Could you please post your question in the message body also?

> Anyways to answer your question...

> ZAP is a good firewall, however it has gotten worse over the past few
> months. Perhaps Zone Alarm Plus would be better for just a firewall as
> it doesnt have all the extra add blocking etc built in.

> Norton is nice however it can be a little "heavy" on the system. It
> does work very well though. If you dont have any antivirus software
> yet i would highly recommend getting Norton Internet Security 2003 as
> it is Norton AntiVirus 2003 and Norton Personal Firewall 2003 as well
> as some extras such as automatically adding "Spam Alert: " to the
> subject of suspected SPAM so that you can create just one rule in your
> email client and be done with it. It also has ad blocking etc (i know
> i said get ZAPlus and not Pro because of this but it is included and
> you are getting 2 very good products).

> I personally use NIS2003 and i am very happy with it. Good program and
> I dont notice it on my system (performance wise).
> --
> Morgan Pugh
> http://mrp.freeshell.org

> change moc to com to email me

Norton Personal Firewall 2003 or ZA Pro???

Post by Robert Dubenezi » Thu, 21 Nov 2002 09:56:37

I know I must be getting attacked but NPF is not showing it in the statistic
area.

> I purchased the NAV Pro 2003 and NPF 2003 bundle directly from Symantec.
> just wiped my HDD clean and only have NPF installed as my firewall.

> Thanks

> Bob

> > On Tue, 19 Nov 2002 08:14:11 GMT, "Robert Dubenezic"

> > Could you please post your question in the message body also?

> > Anyways to answer your question...

> > ZAP is a good firewall, however it has gotten worse over the past few
> > months. Perhaps Zone Alarm Plus would be better for just a firewall as
> > it doesnt have all the extra add blocking etc built in.

> > Norton is nice however it can be a little "heavy" on the system. It
> > does work very well though. If you dont have any antivirus software
> > yet i would highly recommend getting Norton Internet Security 2003 as
> > it is Norton AntiVirus 2003 and Norton Personal Firewall 2003 as well
> > as some extras such as automatically adding "Spam Alert: " to the
> > subject of suspected SPAM so that you can create just one rule in your
> > email client and be done with it. It also has ad blocking etc (i know
> > i said get ZAPlus and not Pro because of this but it is included and
> > you are getting 2 very good products).

> > I personally use NIS2003 and i am very happy with it. Good program and
> > I dont notice it on my system (performance wise).
> > --
> > Morgan Pugh
> > http://mrp.freeshell.org

> > change moc to com to email me

1. Windows XP firewall v Norton Personal Firewall 2003?

I have recently had my system upgraded from Windows 98 to Windows XP Home which
has its own firewall.  I also have Norton PF 2003 on the computer. The
technician has left it to me which firewall to use.  I wonder if anyone with
knowledge could please tell me which they consider the better program - XP or
Norton, or are they about the same?

Many thanks.

Regards,

Chas_G

2. Q: How to directly call bank switch routine?

3. Problem with the Norton Personal Firewall 2003, please advice

4. Sync probs with Windows 2000 RC1

5. Norton Personal Firewall 2003 Install Problem

6. Null modems

7. norton personal firewall 2003

8. Norton Personal Firewall 2003

9. Configuring Norton Personal Firewall 2003 to allow WinMX 3.31 uploads

10. Norton Personal Firewall 2003

11. Norton Personal Firewall 2003 Problem (Please Help)

12. Solution - Newbie News Problem With Norton Personal Firewall 2003