Big problems with ZA Pro 3.0! Please help!

Big problems with ZA Pro 3.0! Please help!

Post by David Rosenstrau » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 05:15:05



BIG PROBLEM with the new ZA Pro 3.0 Upgrade!!!

On "High" internet security it is blocking OUTGOING internet traffic
from most of my applications:

* Netscape (v4.08 and v6.2)
* AOL Instant Messenger
* AOL
* FreeAgent
* Eudora

Of course ZA is set to allow these apps. internet access.

It should not be blocking OUTGOING traffic!  Version 2.6 did not do
this.  Version 3.0 only works for me on internet security setting
"medium".

Other details:

* Win98SE
* 2 network cards in my machine - 1 for cable modem network; 1 for
local LAN
* this computer is an internet gateway and is set accordingly in ZA to
192.168.0.1
* it's not a corruption of the rules database since I did a fresh
install which wiped out the old rules
* yes ZA is set to run at startup

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks,

DR

 
 
 

Big problems with ZA Pro 3.0! Please help!

Post by Darren Min » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 06:17:39


You are supposed to leave program control on Medium until you have
accessed the Internet at least once with all you programs that need
Internet access. Then, you turn on High.



>BIG PROBLEM with the new ZA Pro 3.0 Upgrade!!!

>On "High" internet security it is blocking OUTGOING internet traffic
>from most of my applications:

>* Netscape (v4.08 and v6.2)
>* AOL Instant Messenger
>* AOL
>* FreeAgent
>* Eudora

>Of course ZA is set to allow these apps. internet access.

>It should not be blocking OUTGOING traffic!  Version 2.6 did not do
>this.  Version 3.0 only works for me on internet security setting
>"medium".

>Other details:

>* Win98SE
>* 2 network cards in my machine - 1 for cable modem network; 1 for
>local LAN
>* this computer is an internet gateway and is set accordingly in ZA to
>192.168.0.1
>* it's not a corruption of the rules database since I did a fresh
>install which wiped out the old rules
>* yes ZA is set to run at startup

>PLEASE HELP!

>Thanks,

>DR


 
 
 

Big problems with ZA Pro 3.0! Please help!

Post by David Rosenstrau » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 06:45:15


Thanks but you misunderstand.

Program control IS on Medium - and I never set it to high.

Internet Zone Security was set to high (by default) but was causing
most outgoing access to be blocked.  Everything works when I set it to
medium, but I shouldn't have to.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

DR



>You are supposed to leave program control on Medium until you have
>accessed the Internet at least once with all you programs that need
>Internet access. Then, you turn on High.



>>BIG PROBLEM with the new ZA Pro 3.0 Upgrade!!!

>>On "High" internet security it is blocking OUTGOING internet traffic
>>from most of my applications:

>>* Netscape (v4.08 and v6.2)
>>* AOL Instant Messenger
>>* AOL
>>* FreeAgent
>>* Eudora

>>Of course ZA is set to allow these apps. internet access.

>>It should not be blocking OUTGOING traffic!  Version 2.6 did not do
>>this.  Version 3.0 only works for me on internet security setting
>>"medium".

>>Other details:

>>* Win98SE
>>* 2 network cards in my machine - 1 for cable modem network; 1 for
>>local LAN
>>* this computer is an internet gateway and is set accordingly in ZA to
>>192.168.0.1
>>* it's not a corruption of the rules database since I did a fresh
>>install which wiped out the old rules
>>* yes ZA is set to run at startup

>>PLEASE HELP!

>>Thanks,

>>DR

 
 
 

Big problems with ZA Pro 3.0! Please help!

Post by Keezdrive » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 07:06:49



> BIG PROBLEM with the new ZA Pro 3.0 Upgrade!!!

> On "High" internet security it is blocking OUTGOING internet traffic
> from most of my applications:

> * Netscape (v4.08 and v6.2)
> * AOL Instant Messenger
> * AOL
> * FreeAgent
> * Eudora

> Of course ZA is set to allow these apps. internet access.

> It should not be blocking OUTGOING traffic!  Version 2.6 did not do
> this.  Version 3.0 only works for me on internet security setting
> "medium".

> Other details:

> * Win98SE
> * 2 network cards in my machine - 1 for cable modem network; 1 for
> local LAN
> * this computer is an internet gateway and is set accordingly in ZA to
> 192.168.0.1
> * it's not a corruption of the rules database since I did a fresh
> install which wiped out the old rules
> * yes ZA is set to run at startup

> PLEASE HELP!

> Thanks,

> DR

Delete the rules in windows/internet logs/ and try again. I run ZAP on
win98SE as a gateway on high security and it works fine. I am using the
beta as well with no problem. Which version of the beta do you have?
--
Michael T
Don't blame me, I didn't vote for him!
Then again neither did a lot of other people.
Linux User #228869 on Linux Machine #147583
 
 
 

Big problems with ZA Pro 3.0! Please help!

Post by David Rosenstrau » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 07:40:30


On Wed, 06 Mar 2002 17:06:49 -0500, Keezdriver


>Delete the rules in windows/internet logs/ and try again. I run ZAP on
>win98SE as a gateway on high security and it works fine. I am using the
>beta as well with no problem. Which version of the beta do you have?
>--
>Michael T
>Don't blame me, I didn't vote for him!
>Then again neither did a lot of other people.
>Linux User #228869 on Linux Machine #147583

Tried deleting the rules, but no luck.

I don't think I'm using a beta.  I think this is the real v3.0 which
it looks like was released today (my machine tells me I'm using
v3.0.081).  I didn't seek out the new version.  ZA alerted me that a
new version was available.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Any others?

DR

 
 
 

Big problems with ZA Pro 3.0! Please help!

Post by Banjo Powe » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 08:21:35



Quote:> I'm using
> v3.0.081

That's odd;  on betanews.com, they mention that 3.0.26 final came out
today. I checked with the update feature in ZAPro, and it took me to a
page that downloaded 3.0.25.  I wonder if they are fixing them as fast
as they can put 'em up?
--
********************************************************

                                     (take out _NOSPAM)
                              Bismarck, ND
********************************************************
ESRD 80, HEMO 84-85, TX 85-95, HEMO 95-99,
CAPD 99-00, TX 12/00-CURRENT
********************************************************
Be an organ donor, sign your donor card today.

Logic is a tweeting bird in a green meadow.   - Mr. Spock

 
 
 

Big problems with ZA Pro 3.0! Please help!

Post by David Rosenstrau » Thu, 14 Mar 2002 23:48:40


I posted this a while ago, but haven't been able to get this problem
solved yet.

And of course ZoneLabs help has basically been non-existent - either
providing obvious suggestions that didn't work or ignoring my messages
altogether.

I'm pretty much at the end of my rope here and am just about to
downgrade from 3.0 back to 2.6 just so that I can get a working
firewall.

About the only additional info I have is that the problem has to do
with MS Internet Connection Sharing.  When ICS is disabled, I can use
ZAP3 on high security.  When it's enabled ZAP blocks my net access.

Please help!  Any suggestions appreciated!

DR



>BIG PROBLEM with the new ZA Pro 3.0 Upgrade!!!

>On "High" internet security it is blocking OUTGOING internet traffic
>from most of my applications:

>* Netscape (v4.08 and v6.2)
>* AOL Instant Messenger
>* AOL
>* FreeAgent
>* Eudora

>Of course ZA is set to allow these apps. internet access.

>It should not be blocking OUTGOING traffic!  Version 2.6 did not do
>this.  Version 3.0 only works for me on internet security setting
>"medium".

>Other details:

>* Win98SE
>* 2 network cards in my machine - 1 for cable modem network; 1 for
>local LAN
>* this computer is an internet gateway and is set accordingly in ZA to
>192.168.0.1
>* it's not a corruption of the rules database since I did a fresh
>install which wiped out the old rules
>* yes ZA is set to run at startup

>PLEASE HELP!

>Thanks,

>DR

 
 
 

Big problems with ZA Pro 3.0! Please help!

Post by Bart » Fri, 15 Mar 2002 03:59:59




Quote:> I posted this a while ago, but haven't been able to get this problem
> solved yet.

> And of course ZoneLabs help has basically been non-existent - either
> providing obvious suggestions that didn't work or ignoring my messages
> altogether.

> I'm pretty much at the end of my rope here and am just about to
> downgrade from 3.0 back to 2.6 just so that I can get a working
> firewall.

> About the only additional info I have is that the problem has to do
> with MS Internet Connection Sharing.  When ICS is disabled, I can use
> ZAP3 on high security.  When it's enabled ZAP blocks my net access.

> Please help!  Any suggestions appreciated!

David,

Have you tried adding the servers to your trusted zone? I too was puzzled
for a while but after I added the necessary IP numbers and host names it all
worked. I have a very similar system setup with two NIC's, Win98SE, ICS etc.
goto firewall->zones->add and fill in the IP numbers or hostnames for your
pop3 accounts, newsservers etc and mark them as trusted.

goodluck,
Bart

 
 
 

Big problems with ZA Pro 3.0! Please help!

Post by Ted Anderso » Tue, 19 Mar 2002 13:08:17


Bart, I too read this suggestion on the ZA site and think it's a bad way to
deal with problems.  It only took me 30 seconds to add my mail and news
servers, but from there I had to go one at a time adding servers as ZA
decided to block them.  I use an instant messaging program called Trillian,
which allows simultaneous connections to AOL, ICQ, Yahoo, and MSN.  So far
I've added over a half dozen hosts but still can't get Trillian to work
right on high because it can't answer server requests, etc.  More
importantly, now I've authorized my POP3 server for outbound traffic, so a
virus sending mail instead of my mail program will be able to send mail
without me knowing.

The real problem here is that the ICS enabled host is somehow sending
packets in a different manner than a non-ICS computer.  Before installing
ICS, ZA recognized that when I checked mail Outlook was responsible, and it
let me authorize Outlook to do that.  After installing ICS, ZA thinks my
computer is trying to access my POP3 server.  Because ZA thinks that no
program is associated with the request, it blocks it.  We need to get MS and
ZA working together to fix it...so far each one wants to point the finger at
the other.

Just my $0.02,

Ted




> > I posted this a while ago, but haven't been able to get this problem
> > solved yet.

> > And of course ZoneLabs help has basically been non-existent - either
> > providing obvious suggestions that didn't work or ignoring my messages
> > altogether.

> > I'm pretty much at the end of my rope here and am just about to
> > downgrade from 3.0 back to 2.6 just so that I can get a working
> > firewall.

> > About the only additional info I have is that the problem has to do
> > with MS Internet Connection Sharing.  When ICS is disabled, I can use
> > ZAP3 on high security.  When it's enabled ZAP blocks my net access.

> > Please help!  Any suggestions appreciated!

> David,

> Have you tried adding the servers to your trusted zone? I too was puzzled
> for a while but after I added the necessary IP numbers and host names it
all
> worked. I have a very similar system setup with two NIC's, Win98SE, ICS
etc.
> goto firewall->zones->add and fill in the IP numbers or hostnames for your
> pop3 accounts, newsservers etc and mark them as trusted.

> goodluck,
> Bart

 
 
 

1. Please help with ZA Pro and XP Pro

I recently did a totally clean install of WinXP Pro,  and reinstalled ZA Pro
2.6.362.

Two new items are asking for permissions which were not there when I was
running WinME.

1. Generic Host Process for Win32 Services (svchost.exe)

2. Services and Controller app (services.exe)

I noticed that in order for me to browse the net I must allow item #1 to
connect.  But do I need to allow it server rights?

Also,  what should I do with item #2, allow connect or not?  Allow server or
not?

Please give me some insight to exactly what these 2 items are, and how I
should handle them in ZA.

Thanks for any help,
D. Rasmussen

2. API to check if a computer is in a domain

3. newbie help wiv ZA Pro please

4. unsubscribe

5. problem with ZA please help or suggest!

6. Freelance s/w developer avail. - MIT ’87 - C/Unix/NT/SQL/Sybase DBA/IVR/Internet

7. ZA 2.6 Pro vs. ZA 3.5 (Free) Reinstall Problems

8. \arraystretch

9. xp home and za pro 3.0 the latest one

10. ZA Pro 3.0 Is Out.. Opinions ?

11. ZA Pro 1.0122 to ZA Pro 2.688??

12. Need help with Big Secret(security program) please!

13. zonealarm problem- Grokster/Kazaa won't work with ZA 3.0