FTP-GW with Netscape

Post by Jim Schimmoell » Thu, 14 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I have a TIS fwtk running with the ftp-gw.  If I do a straight ftp it works
fine, but when I set up Netscape to use this proxy, the ftp starts fast and
the transfer rate slows almost to a crawl????

Any possible solution would be appreciated.

Please email or post to this newsgroup.

Jim Schimmoeller
Sys Admin, SAIC

FTP-GW with Netscape

Post by J. T. Jud » Sun, 17 Dec 1995 04:00:00

   The "web" proxies should point to the 'http-gw' ... not the 'ftp-gw'.
   (http, gopher and ftp should all point to the same place, in essence).

   Netscape and other web browsers do not negotiate an ftp session through
   the myriad of ftp-through-a-firewall possibilities -- they only hit the
   web proxy and say 'get me this ftp file'.

      -joe

> I have a TIS fwtk running with the ftp-gw.  If I do a straight ftp it works
> fine, but when I set up Netscape to use this proxy, the ftp starts fast and
> the transfer rate slows almost to a crawl????

> Any possible solution would be appreciated.

> Please email or post to this newsgroup.

> Jim Schimmoeller
> Sys Admin, SAIC

1. speaking of http-gw and ftp-gw

Referring to the attached mail below ...

I have experienced a similar problem. Although I have TIS proxy
firewall running in it and configured Netscape to use a proxy
server and a designated port of 8080 for HTTP.

I got this similar packet using EtherPeek and I never get connected
outside.  Did I miss anything in configuring my netperm-table with
regards to http-gw and plug-gw.  ( used both to allow selective
incoming and outgoing HTTP packets to my protected Web server.)

Also, if I ftp from inside my firewall to outside, I get my
ftp-welcome.txt then 500 command not understood many times on my
browser ( using browser to initiate ftp outside . When doing ftp on
the browser, do I need to pass through the proxy server's address
in the URL? ). Did I miss anything in configuring the ftp-gw lines
in net-perm.table?

To recap, here are my questions.
1.  I get the HTTP request packet but never get anything up on my
   browser. Configuration error or absence of daemon?
2.  Re ftp-gw, why do I get the "500 command not understood" text?
    is my port number assignment screwed up?  I assigned port 400/tcp
     for my ftp-gw in /etc/services.
3. How to write the URL in the browser when initiating FTP
        connection from inside the firewall to outside?  and
outside
        coming in?

I do appreciate you help. Please CC me if you can.

Thanks,
Marianne

2. sender fake.domain.com

3. ftp-gw and Checkpoint FW-1

4. Offline unattended backup on NT (ALPHA & Intel)

5. Anyone ever setup a *long* -dest list w/ fwtk2/ftp-gw?

6. Help! Need to give program QSECOFR authority.

7. Passive mode and TIS ftp-gw

8. Sendmail statistics & accounting...

9. FWTK ftp-gw timeout to soon

10. TIS ftp-gw crashing?