FTP problems with ZA & Linksys 4 port router/switch

FTP problems with ZA & Linksys 4 port router/switch

Post by deep » Sun, 20 Aug 2000 15:34:23

Hi,

Recently installed a Linksys/Router switch to my system. So far, it seems as
though the majority of users can access the FTP site I run and transfer
files without a problem. Some users, however, find that they get spanked
from the system. Since this only started happening once I put the Linksys
router in place, I'm assuming it's the cause. I have it configured to
forward the FTP's port requests to the proper computer, as well, I have
disabled the WAN network requests block in the advanced settings. It appears
as though some users aren't able to FXP to the site regardless. Can anyone
shed any light as to why a] some users can't even retrive directory listings
or transfer files or why B] others cannot FXP? My server is configured not
to recognize FXP's as bounce attacks and it worked fine before the Linksys
was installed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have read through anything I could
find on the Web on the subject - even Tim Higgen's great site does not cover
this topic, and Linksys' support documentation is lacking.

Thank you in advance.

FTP problems with ZA & Linksys 4 port router/switch

Post by InternetSecurity10 » Sun, 20 Aug 2000 04:00:00

You might want to explain to the audience here, exactly what this
"FXP" thingy is. If you have FTP being forwarded and configured
correctly, you should not have any problems. If some of the people are
trying to hack your ~~~~~~, some of them try this "complain" stuff, to
see if an unsuspecting admin will change some settings, thus letting
them back in. (one scenario).

On the other hand, I would remotely test it myself with different
connections to see if there might be a problem. Test it with DialUps,
Cable, xDSL and the like. If the people you trust, and know are not
trying to mess with you, give you back good reports, the reast are
leary at best.

Hope all goes well,

Internet Security 101

Quote:> Hi,

--
Firewall Information:
http://www.robertgraham.com/pubs/firewall-seen.html

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Switched from ZA to ZA Pro - FTP no longer works

I used the free version of ZA for a week without any problems behind a
DSL modem. Configured both local and internet zone to high security.

Then I upgraded to ZA Pro, and am generally happy with it. Except, I can
no longer perform FTP transfers. Both browsers and commandline ftp
encounter the same problem: Can log into the site, but when the server
opens the data connection ZA Pro refuses the incoming packet.
Since the incoming connection opens a dynamically assigned port, there's
no way of opening the port.

I have all applications set to either ask to be a server, or even allow
certain ones to be a server. But I never get a prompt. I assume that
some service/program on my side negotiated the dynamic port and should
be listening on it?

I searched the ZA FAQs and played with different settings for several
hours, but couldn't get it to work. Interestingly enough I didn't have
this problem with the free version of ZA which was to my knowledge
configured similary (except for all the additional stuff).

Any ideas?

Jan

2. Wanted: Boyer and Moore(eds):"The Correctness Prob in Comp Science"

3. Anybody experience problem with Linksys Router and ZA Pro?

4. Windows Full User Name

5. ZA Pro and Linksys router- Print sharing problems

6. Use Visio as a design tool for Access 97/2000?

7. FTP Behind Linksys Router problems

8. comment about TZ

9. possible solution to ftp problems with Linksys Router

10. LinkSys switch, NAT, and FTP

11. Unicast UDP pass through by Linksys router/switch BEFSR41

12. For Rent: Hands-On Training Equipment -- Routers & Ethernet Switches