ssh time outs

Post by boe.. » Sat, 20 Jan 2001 23:07:56

Would anyone know why my ssh sessions seem to time out after a certain
amount of time? This only happens when I connect from work, but when I
connect from within a LAN machine, it never times out???

Thanks,
Tony

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

ssh time outs

Post by Richard E. Silverm » Mon, 22 Jan 2001 11:19:14

    Tony> Would anyone know why my ssh sessions seem to time out after a
    Tony> certain amount of time? This only happens when I connect from
    Tony> work, but when I connect from within a LAN machine, it never
    Tony> times out???

I just posted about this same issue on a different thread, actually.  It's
likely that your Net connection at work is using NAT, and the NAT gateway
is timing out your TCP connection across it after a period of inactivity.
It does that to conserve available connections, since NAT shares a smaller
set of possible outbound TCP "channels" over a larger number of machines.

If you absolutely must, you can do something to ensure that some traffic
goes over your connection periodically, so it doesn't time out.  Consider,
though, that by doing so you are keeping a shared resource away from other
people, which you are not actually using.  Letting it time out may be the
right thing to do.  If the timeout is set too short, talk to you network
administrator about lengthening it.

--
  Richard Silverman

1. ZA and intermittent broadband cut-outs

This may be the wrong forum for this question, but it may involve my
firewall, so here goes:

problem with short-term cessation of service.  Every few days, usually or
always at night, the system will shut down, though modem (Toshiba PCX-1100U)
lights remain as normal.  Pinging my default gateway fails, and nothing
works--no browser, mail, or newgroups. Going into WINIPCFG, releasing, then
renewing addresses on the NIC will restore operation after about one minute.

I've talked with Cox at least a dozen times and techs have been out on three
occasions, and it still fails occasionally.  Now they're suggesting my
firewall may be to blame.  Until three days ago I was using ZoneAlarm v2
(latest update) and now have v3.0.118 installed.  The cessation of service
has occurred once since upgrading, and to test I will begin the process of
cutting ZA off at night when the outages most often occur.

Has anyone experienced this before or otherwise have any ideas on what may
be causing these outages?  Again, Cox has tested the lines and although
they've found some problems have not been able to stop the problem entirely.

2. mop on Digital Unix

3. Firewall for PPP Dial-outs?

4. VEST - Where can I find it

5. Accout Lock outs

6. CISCO MIB for Managewise

7. Is two times encrypting ALWAYS more secure than one time encrypting ???

8. Help Config Vlans for the 48 Group sw ether module

9. openssh on solaris8 - lastlogin time is always current time

10. Last login time as UTC time ONLY?

11. HELP: idle ssh connections time out on FreeBSD 2.2.6 firewall

12. Do openssl timing attacks affect ssh?

13. SSH connection timing out