Blackice in conjuction with ZA Futility or value added?

Blackice in conjuction with ZA Futility or value added?

Post by mvccer.. » Wed, 14 Nov 2001 05:56:03

Does it make sense to run both to capitalize on the strengths of each
or does it cut into system performance more than it adds?  thoughts?

Blackice in conjuction with ZA Futility or value added?

Post by M. P. Brenna » Thu, 15 Nov 2001 06:28:14

I ran this setup for more than a year.  At the time, I was using a dial-up
connection that never got disconnected, so I'd be online 24 hours per day.

ZA appeared to run "in front" of BID, so nearly all of the alarms were
recorded there.  A few times each month, though, BID would record an alarm
that ZA did not, so I'm assuming the belt-and-suspenders (belt-and-braces
for you overseas folks) approach was paying a dividend.

Once I went to DSL and put in a Linksys router with a fake IP address in the
DMZ, I quit getting any alarms whatsoever on either program, so now I only
run ZA (since it gives outbound control).

Quote:> Does it make sense to run both to capitalize on the strengths of each
> or does it cut into system performance more than it adds?  thoughts?

1. BlackIce / ZA or ZA / BlackIce?

I've recently gone broadband and used to run just ZoneAlarm.  I'd run
BlackIce Defender on a machine at work.

When the broadband came in I installed BlackIce on my PC so I'm now running
both.

THE QUESTION OF THE DAY IS:

In what order should they be loaded?  Currently ZA loads last.  Would it be
better if BlackIce loaded last?  Does it matter?  Who's on first (so to
speak)?

2. Need prep info for Rodime drive...

3. Does a PC Firewall add value next to my router?

4. Help: After installing Opcode direct x pluggin Sound forge doesn't work

5. Value added resellers needed

6. PM Word 1.1 Vs. DeScribe/Word for Windows

7. ANNOUNCE: The Enterprise Web: Security and Added-Value Tools

8. Question about repl

9. Workshop on Enterprise Web: Security and Added-Value Tools

10. BlackICE - possible to add an IP block entry from the command line?

11. How many ports can be added to BlackICE?

12. BlackIce add-on Software, the creates Reports

13. Add Firepower To BlackICE Defender!