If I have a Linksys cable router, is getting a 3COM Firewall pointless?

If I have a Linksys cable router, is getting a 3COM Firewall pointless?

Post by Baphome » Wed, 16 Jan 2002 07:36:13

The linksys uses NAT and has a firewall built in from what I understand. Is
this good enough on its own, or should I also put a hardware firewall in the
loop?
I have 3 PC's connecting via DSL, and have a linksys cable/dsl router tying
them all together. The only incoming traffic that I need is a PCAnywhere
connection, and I use port forwarding on the linksys router to forward
incoming pcanywhere traffic to my PC running the PCAW host.

So should I also have a hardware firewall, or does the Linksys provide
enough security from outside intruders?

Thanks,
Jeff

If I have a Linksys cable router, is getting a 3COM Firewall pointless?

Post by Hughie » Wed, 16 Jan 2002 13:41:24

That depends on how paranoid you are.  I've seen the interface on both and
the 3com does have some bells and whistles the Linksys does not.

Quote:> The linksys uses NAT and has a firewall built in from what I understand.
Is
> this good enough on its own, or should I also put a hardware firewall in
the
> loop?
> I have 3 PC's connecting via DSL, and have a linksys cable/dsl router
tying
> them all together. The only incoming traffic that I need is a PCAnywhere
> connection, and I use port forwarding on the linksys router to forward
> incoming pcanywhere traffic to my PC running the PCAW host.

> So should I also have a hardware firewall, or does the Linksys provide
> enough security from outside intruders?

> Thanks,
> Jeff

If I have a Linksys cable router, is getting a 3COM Firewall pointless?

Post by Baphome » Thu, 17 Jan 2002 03:46:24

How common or frequent do PC's that only have NAT protecting them get
hacked? The only open ports on the PC are for PCAnywhere, and they're not
the default ports. No other services (FTP, HTTP, Telnet, etc) are running on
the host machine. The IP address on the host would be static, and people
would only know about it if they scanned the Internet for open ports.

Thanks,
Jeff

> That depends on how paranoid you are.  I've seen the interface on both and
> the 3com does have some bells and whistles the Linksys does not.

> > The linksys uses NAT and has a firewall built in from what I understand.
> Is
> > this good enough on its own, or should I also put a hardware firewall in
> the
> > loop?
> > I have 3 PC's connecting via DSL, and have a linksys cable/dsl router
> tying
> > them all together. The only incoming traffic that I need is a PCAnywhere
> > connection, and I use port forwarding on the linksys router to forward
> > incoming pcanywhere traffic to my PC running the PCAW host.

> > So should I also have a hardware firewall, or does the Linksys provide
> > enough security from outside intruders?

> > Thanks,
> > Jeff

If I have a Linksys cable router, is getting a 3COM Firewall pointless?

Post by Lars M. Hanse » Thu, 17 Jan 2002 08:00:53

On 15 Jan 2002 12:46:24 -0600, Baphomet spoketh

Quote:>How common or frequent do PC's that only have NAT protecting them get
>hacked? The only open ports on the PC are for PCAnywhere, and they're not
>the default ports. No other services (FTP, HTTP, Telnet, etc) are running on
>the host machine. The IP address on the host would be static, and people
>would only know about it if they scanned the Internet for open ports.

>Thanks,
>Jeff

Saying "zero" would probably be overstating it, because NAT only
protects you from the outside. Most of the exploits today consists of
worms that arrive in E-Mail, and no NAT router can protect against
that...

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net
(replace 'badnews' with 'lars' in e-mail address)