Sonicwall XPRS2 as a web server firewall?

Sonicwall XPRS2 as a web server firewall?

Post by Paul Dix » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 01:17:13

We're moving a website consisting of 4 different publicly available
servers to a new host. The new host has suggested we use a Sonicwall
XPRS2 as a firewall for these servers.

Looking at the product specs, the Sonicwall appears to be more a
corporate firewalling device than something geared as webserver
firewall - I'm assume we'd run our servers through its DMZ port and
pretty much ignore its many other features.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else is using one for this
purpose. I realise this is not really a high traffic solution, but
it's really a stopgap until we can afford something meatier.

Any opinions welcome!

Sonicwall XPRS2 as a web server firewall?

Post by Michael Scheidel » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 04:17:18

Quote:> We're moving a website consisting of 4 different publicly available
> servers to a new host. The new host has suggested we use a Sonicwall
> XPRS2 as a firewall for these servers.

> Looking at the product specs, the Sonicwall appears to be more a
> corporate firewalling device than something geared as webserver
> firewall - I'm assume we'd run our servers through its DMZ port and
> pretty much ignore its many other features.

you could just get a TELE2 (10 inside ip addresses, no DMZ, ) and the
optional VPN software and put the webservers on the LAN side (and configure
it)
or a SOHO2 (5 inside ip addresses, VPN included).

they have the same cpu, and processing power as the xpres2, but no DMZ
either one should run at T1 speeds up to thousands of concurrent connections

--
Michael Scheidell
Florida Datamation, Inc.

Internet Security and Consulting
See updated IT Security News at http://www.fdma.com/
After system Compromise : http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/

1. SonicWall XPRS2 and Exchange Server 5.5

I hope any network guru's out there can help me with this one.  I've
been assigned the task of trying to figure out how to separate our
Exchange 5.5. server from our LAN.

Currently it resides on our LAN and everyone is able to receive and
send email because the SonicWALL is forwarding ports 110 and 25 to the
internal IP address of the mail server.  The XPRS2 also has a DMZ zone
and we would like to put it out on the DMZ zone to protect our LAN in
case the mail server becomes compromised.  I've tried doing this a
couple of times and haven't had much success.

I've inputted the external IP address into the XPRS2, used a x-over
cable directly to the box.  But the clients on our LAN can't access
their mail.  Anyone with any suggestions??? HELP!!!!

2. Data Recording - Real-Time Digital Comms

3. SonicWall: soho2/50 vs xprs2 vs sonicwall pro

4. Preferred Systems? What do you like to use?

5. allow web server behind the firewall(sonicwall)

6. Is there a walk-thru for DM?

7. Firewall for a web server - is the sonicwall SOHO2 appropriate

8. CDRW

9. Web Server to Web Server SSL

10. Sonicwall xprs2 DMZ problems

11. Sonicwall XPRS2 & SOHO3

12. Sonicwall XPRS2 heat problems

13. Comunications from the DMZ to LAN on a Sonicwall XPRS2