logoff taking too long

Post by Zarko Jovanovi » Wed, 30 Apr 2003 18:26:40

When I logoff it takes about 1 minute (saving your settings is running more
than 30sec).
Other user logoff normaly (about 10 sec or less)

win2k,sp3

logoff taking too long

Post by MV » Wed, 30 Apr 2003 19:46:21

> When I logoff it takes about 1 minute (saving your settings is running more
> than 30sec).
> Other user logoff normaly (about 10 sec or less)

> win2k,sp3

Hi

This problem is very often introduced when the Q329170 Security Patch is
installed.

Go to Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs > Change/Remove Programs and see if
Q329170 is listed as an update. If it is, remove it and see if it solves the
problem. If you get a warning that other installs may stop working if you
remove it, just ignore it.

Q329170 is not very important or relevant unless you are
on a network where you have configured your Windows 2000
or Windows XP Gold systems to use SMB Signing (default
they do not use it):

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/?url=/technet/security/bull...

<quote>
Impact of vulnerability: Modify group policy.

Maximum Severity Rating: Moderate

Recommendation: Administrators whose Windows 2000 or Windows XP Gold systems
are configured to use SMB Signing should install the patch immediately.
</quote>

http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms02-070.asp

<quote>
Why We Are Issuing This Update
An identified security issue in Microsoft? Windows? 2000 and Windows XP could
enable an attacker to modify a network's security policies. Network
administrators can help protect their networks by installing this update from
Microsoft. This update only affects networks running Windows 2000 or Windows
XP.

Home users and those using workstations on corporate networks do not need this
update.
</quote>

If you still want to have Q329170 installed, here is the latest from Microsoft:

There is now a fix available for customers experiencing slow logoff issues
after applying the security patch in Q329170. This patch is recommended only
for customers who are experiencing this issue.

More about this here:

Unexpected Delay When You Log Off Your Domain
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;814770

As the article states, you need to call Microsoft Product Support Services to
obtain the fix (outside the US, customers should contact their local Microsoft
subsidiary.). The support call will be be free as long as you refer to the
Knowledge Base Article number (Q814770)

--
torgeir
Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page

1. Why is it taking Kerio so long to start?

I switched from ZAP to Kerio a week ago and have noticed that on our laptop
XP Home system (DELL Inspiron 8100) Kerio is very slow during
startup. It takes at least 30 seconds longer than our desktop.

If anyone has ideas about what might be causing this slow down I would
appreciate hearing them.

I uninstalled / installed Kerio and it was just as slow before any
permissions were created.

Les Alderson

2. Psos Task Variables

3. Let's see how long CERT takes this time...

4. file change>need help

5. Openssh authentication takes a long time (about 4 seconds)

6. Looking for a telephone call back software for DOS

7. SSH login takes too long

8. Kickstart 3.1 software

9. Forcing logoff with TACACS ?

10. NT Logon/Logoff Log

11. Windows program logon/logoff accounting

12. Automatic network logoff

13. How to identify NT4 Domain Logon and Logoff