computer freezes

Post by Fred » Tue, 07 Dec 1999 04:00:00

my computer freezes after i download guard dog or net bus detective could
you please help me?

computer freezes

Post by Regular Admin log » Tue, 07 Dec 1999 04:00:00

: my computer freezes after i download guard dog or net bus detective could
: you please help me?
:
: --
: Posted via CNET Help.com
: http://www.help.com/

Fred...contact the people at CNET for help.  They seem to be presenting
the Internet newsgroups with a face that looks like they are providing the
help.

--

   Brian P. Hampson                  ASL Analytical Service Laboratories Ltd
   System Administrator,             Vancouver, BC (604)253-4188

I'm not speaking for the company <- They made me say that.

computer freezes

Post by wtsh » Tue, 07 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> my computer freezes after i download guard dog or net bus detective could
> you please help me?

Don't do that.
--
Adequate security means causing an attacker to give up and spend his time attacking someone else.

computer freezes

Post by donol » Wed, 08 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>my computer freezes after i download guard dog or net bus detective could
>you please help me?

>--

Delete both of those.  You can protect yourself without either of those
programs.
donoli.

computer freezes

Post by Fred » Sat, 18 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> > my computer freezes after i download guard dog or net bus detective
could
> > you please help me?

> Don't do that.
> --
> Adequate security means causing an attacker to give up and spend his time

attacking someone else.

so what do i do?

computer freezes

Post by Fred » Sat, 18 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> >my computer freezes after i download guard dog or net bus detective
could
> >you please help me?

> >--

> Delete both of those.  You can protect yourself without either of those
> programs.
> donoli.

> can you tell me how

computer freezes

Post by donol » Mon, 20 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>> >my computer freezes after i download guard dog or net bus detective
>could
>> >you please help me?

>> >--

>> Delete both of those.  You can protect yourself without either of those
>> programs.
>> donoli.

>> can you tell me how

Make sure file sharing is NOT enabled...control panel, network...both boxes
NOT checked.
Run netstat -an from time to time to look for any strange connections.  You
can even log it to a file if you want, but I don't think it's needed.  If
you see any high ports in the foreign address column to an IP address other
than the loop back (127.0.0.1) or an FTP or telnet connection that you
didn't start, then check in the registry for signs of a trojan
HKEY/LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run or RunOnce
If you run Excel or Word go to this site and follow the instructions to
secure the hole(s).
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/russian-new-year.html
If you use IE and/or OE go to the custom security settings and disable
ActiveX.  It's up to you if you want to dsable Java too.  I've received a
couple e-mails w/ Java scripts that tried to hang my machine.  I set it to
prompt me if there is a Java script.
The last thing is NEVER click on e-mail attachment, even if you know the
person.  Don't fall for here's the file you wanted or some other line like
that.
donoli

computer freezes

Post by wtsh » Mon, 20 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> > > my computer freezes after i download guard dog or net bus detective
> could
> > > you please help me?

> > Don't do that.
> > --
> > Adequate security means causing an attacker to give up and spend his time
> attacking someone else.

I may have sounded trivial, but your question is complicated since
interactions between the various programs you have may be a one of a kind
situation.  It is true that some programs will mess up a host of others by
design or stupidity. In building up from scratch, try to minimize
interaction by simply not putting other than bare essentials in place, and
looking for problems when you add each new ingredient.  The order may make
a difference by showing you what programs conflict by trial and error.  I
wish you well.
Quote:> so what do i do?

> --

Death is easy, life is difficult.

1. ZAP - VSMON taking 99% CPU usage... computer freezing.

Just recently ZAP 3.0 has been acting up occasionally. VSMON.EXE will take
up 99% of the CPU usage. It never stops and ZAP cannot be shut down. I have
to manually end the task to free things. When this happens I can usually not
run any of the normal programs because all of the processing power is being
sucked up by ZAP. Any suggestions?

--
Andrew Adams AKA "Jobe"
PC Specs- AMD Athlon XP 1700+ (OC to 1800+), EPoX 8KHA+ (N+ BIOS, updated to

XP, Western Digital 30gb 7200rpm HD, Enermax 431w PSU, 1.1mbit DSL, Windows
XP Pro.

2. **[FS: Fluke DSP100 w/Smart Remote]**

3. computer freezes

4. FS: GVP 4MB SIMMs: $130ea or $220 both

5. AGNITUM causes Computer Freeze?

6. Incomplete Spectrum 128 ROM 0 disassembly online

7. DLink DSL-504 freezes with nmap probe

8. Where can I get a good deal on HP 5L?

9. Zonealarm pro freezes system - When my cable modem is offline!!

10. Kerio Mail server freezes

11. ZA freezes

12. Zonealarm Pro 3 freezes Netscape 6.2

13. Norton P Firewall and IE6 = Freeze-up ???