Pentium III processor ID # and firewalls

Pentium III processor ID # and firewalls

Post by Tim E. Dayge » Fri, 03 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Okay, I hope that I don't get flamed for asking a "stupid user" question, or
for being a nervous norvus, but I have to ask...

I'm going to be buying a new computer very soon, and I am reluctantly
considering purchasing a low-end P3 system.  However, I'm bothered by
Intel's inclusion of unique processor ID numbers on all P3 CPU's for
possible future use in e-commerce transactions.  Despite Intel's assertions
that you can turn this "feature" off by running a patch at boot-time, I'm
concerned about security issues and privacy abuses that may arise as
websites begin to exploit it.

There have been a number of criticisms offered about Intel's patch to
disable the ID# feature.  Some have claimed that the processor # can still
be obtained over the Internet by running an ActiveX control or Java applet
without the need to re-boot.
the target computer.  Go here for an example:

http://www.zeroknowledge.com/p3/

I'm wondering if one can configure a firewall to prevent the acquisiton of
the ID # without having to disable all ActiveX & Java content.  I currently
do this anyway, but incresingly there are more and more sites that won't
display at all without Java active :-(  Oh yes, I'm presently using AtGuard
under Win95, but I will probably switch to Linux after I get a new machine
and run a compatible firewall product.

Please phrase any technical responses in "english for mere mortals".

-Tim

Pentium III processor ID # and firewalls

Post by Rob Clar » Sat, 04 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Don't know the answer on this question Tim, but you're already sending an
identifying number out right now. You're on RR, which means you're using a
network card, which means you're sending out a NIC number with every packet.
I don't have any, but I know some software out there can get this number.
BlackIce firewall product is one that can do this, good for tracking
hackers.

Quote:>Okay, I hope that I don't get flamed for asking a "stupid user" question, or
>for being a nervous norvus, but I have to ask...

>I'm going to be buying a new computer very soon, and I am reluctantly
>considering purchasing a low-end P3 system.  However, I'm bothered by
>Intel's inclusion of unique processor ID numbers on all P3 CPU's for
>possible future use in e-commerce transactions.  Despite Intel's assertions
>that you can turn this "feature" off by running a patch at boot-time, I'm
>concerned about security issues and privacy abuses that may arise as
>websites begin to exploit it.

>There have been a number of criticisms offered about Intel's patch to
>disable the ID# feature.  Some have claimed that the processor # can still
>be obtained over the Internet by running an ActiveX control or Java applet
>without the need to re-boot.
>the target computer.  Go here for an example:

>http://www.zeroknowledge.com/p3/

>I'm wondering if one can configure a firewall to prevent the acquisiton of
>the ID # without having to disable all ActiveX & Java content.  I currently
>do this anyway, but incresingly there are more and more sites that won't
>display at all without Java active :-(  Oh yes, I'm presently using AtGuard
>under Win95, but I will probably switch to Linux after I get a new machine
>and run a compatible firewall product.

>Please phrase any technical responses in "english for mere mortals".

>-Tim

It is the argument of tyrants. It is the creed of slaves."
     -William Pitt (Pitt the Younger)
Speech to the House of Commons, 18 November, 1783

Remove ! to reply

Pentium III processor ID # and firewalls

Post by Miles Dewi » Sat, 04 Sep 1999 04:00:00

 I would suggest to anyone and everyone with the slightest concern about
security and anonymity to simply use another computer for internet access.
They are cheap enough where home LANs are now the growing popularity why not
retire the old one for this unique access and leave the PIIIs and PIVs and
so on to the full enjoyment of private files and apps. Never to be exposed
to any chance of a hack or virus. Works for me.
 Miles or Bob or Phil...............

Quote:> Okay, I hope that I don't get flamed for asking a "stupid user" question,
or
> for being a nervous norvus, but I have to ask...

> I'm going to be buying a new computer very soon, and I am reluctantly
> considering purchasing a low-end P3 system.  However, I'm bothered by
> Intel's inclusion of unique processor ID numbers on all P3 CPU's for
> possible future use in e-commerce transactions.  Despite Intel's
assertions
> that you can turn this "feature" off by running a patch at boot-time, I'm
> concerned about security issues and privacy abuses that may arise as
> websites begin to exploit it.

> There have been a number of criticisms offered about Intel's patch to
> disable the ID# feature.  Some have claimed that the processor # can still
> be obtained over the Internet by running an ActiveX control or Java applet
> without the need to re-boot.
> the target computer.  Go here for an example:

> http://www.zeroknowledge.com/p3/

> I'm wondering if one can configure a firewall to prevent the acquisiton of
> the ID # without having to disable all ActiveX & Java content.  I
currently
> do this anyway, but incresingly there are more and more sites that won't
> display at all without Java active :-(  Oh yes, I'm presently using
AtGuard
> under Win95, but I will probably switch to Linux after I get a new machine
> and run a compatible firewall product.

> Please phrase any technical responses in "english for mere mortals".

> -Tim

1. Pentium III id - a chance to voice your opinion:

Pentium III id - a chance to voice your opinion:

Intel is planning to embed ID numbers in the upcoming Pentium III chip.
Their reasoning seems honest enough: improve e-commerce security and prevent
stolen computers from getting on the Internet. But what about privacy?
What's to keep Intel or others from tracking where your headed on the
information highway? Look out big-brother may be watching you...

Give us your opinion and be heard at

http://www.degutis.com/vote/vote.htm

Disclaimer: Our web site does not look for embedded ID numbers in
processors.

2. Looking for 68000 optimizer

3. HELP!: Does ZoneAlarm block reading/sending of Pentium III serial number in chip?!

4. M2002 and MoneyLink problem

5. Pentium Pro/Pentium II optimizations for ssh?

6. <none>

7. Cisco IDS-4210, part III

8. IOMega ZIP Tools in OS/2

9. Get Intel Processor ID

10. cisco -> ids -> firewall -> ids

11. Norton Personal Firewall 2000 and UT/Quake III Problems

12. black ICE IDS only gives me generic IDS messages

13. FW-1 on dual pentium-pro system ?