HELP!: Does ZoneAlarm block reading/sending of Pentium III serial number in chip?!

HELP!: Does ZoneAlarm block reading/sending of Pentium III serial number in chip?!

Post by technomu.. » Sat, 15 Dec 2001 21:04:12

Hi,

I have some questions:

1/ from outside: Does ZoneAlarm block outside attempts to read your PIII
serial number?

2/ but also, from inside: if you install software yourself that tries to
read your serial number and then wants to "phone it home" over the
internet, can ZoneAlarm prevent this from happening by blocking it?

3/ is ZoneAlarm the best choice for all the above, or do you recommend
another firewall?

I would really appreciate it if people with good knowledge about this
would be so kind to clarify this! Thanks in advance!

Greetings,

Mike.

HELP!: Does ZoneAlarm block reading/sending of Pentium III serial number in chip?!

Post by denni » Sat, 15 Dec 2001 21:35:01

Quote:> Hi,

> I have some questions:

> 1/ from outside: Does ZoneAlarm block outside attempts to read your PIII
> serial number?

> 2/ but also, from inside: if you install software yourself that tries to
> read your serial number and then wants to "phone it home" over the
> internet, can ZoneAlarm prevent this from happening by blocking it?

> 3/ is ZoneAlarm the best choice for all the above, or do you recommend
> another firewall?

> I would really appreciate it if people with good knowledge about this
> would be so kind to clarify this! Thanks in advance!

The answers to all 3 questions are -  It can, but.... or Depends, if
you.....

Why not disable reading with the Intel utility first?
http://support.intel.com/support/processors/pentiumiii/psover.htm
http://www.cdt.org/privacy/issues/pentium3/
http://support.intel.com/support/processors/pentiumiii/psqa.htm#4

Post by Juergen Nievele » Sat, 15 Dec 2001 22:10:14

> 2/ but also, from inside: if you install software yourself that tries to
> read your serial number and then wants to "phone it home" over the
> internet, can ZoneAlarm prevent this from happening by blocking it?

No. Any software that you install and run can modify or disable ANY
firewall software that is running on the same machine.

Or it can use other ways to bypass the firewall, like tunneling the
information through your browser.

--
Juergen Nieveler
Support the ban of Dihydrogen Monoxide: http://www.dhmo.org/

HELP!: Does ZoneAlarm block reading/sending of Pentium III serial number in chip?!

Post by 401k » Sun, 16 Dec 2001 15:58:04

Quote:> 1/ from outside: Does ZoneAlarm block outside attempts to read your PIII
> serial number?

Depends how you set up ZA

Quote:> 2/ but also, from inside: if you install software yourself that tries to
> read your serial number and then wants to "phone it home" over the
> internet, can ZoneAlarm prevent this from happening by blocking it?

You direct ZA on what it whats to let go and not let go.  Ask yourself, what
wants to phone home and why,  use the theory with your phone system.  No one
that I know of wants to know a serial number in my years of testing fire
walls.

Quote:> 3/ is ZoneAlarm the best choice for all the above, or do you recommend
> another firewall?

Will only recommend Black Ice which is not free, but with rebates it can be
free to the user.  They have evidence logs which can be decoded for use with
the FBI.  This is if you learn how to decode the evidence logs. ZA doesn't
have this feature.

Quote:> Mike.

401k