Looking for Windows 3.1.1 Security Program

Looking for Windows 3.1.1 Security Program

Post by Zante » Sat, 29 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I'm a teacher with a single computer in my classroom.  I let my students
use it throughout the day, but I'm finding that I need a security program
to allow different groups of students or individuals different access to
my computer (it seems that every day my computer looks a little bit
different)

Hopefully, it could be something share/free ware, cuz I really don't have
a lot of money to spend.

thank-you

Geoffrey Palmer

Post by DeVern Gerb » Wed, 02 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>I'm a teacher with a single computer in my classroom.  I let my students
>use it throughout the day, but I'm finding that I need a security program
>to allow different groups of students or individuals different access to
>my computer (it seems that every day my computer looks a little bit
>different)
>Hopefully, it could be something share/free ware, cuz I really don't have
>a lot of money to spend.
>thank-you
>Geoffrey Palmer

There are several sites on the web offering hints and tips on how to
configure windows to shut out minor annoyances, but most involve
editing .INI files and so forth.  Try a search for "security" and
"Windows" for starters.

If you're looking for reasonably priced install and forget type

for schools is only $75.00 or so for a building site license.

DeVern

1. Looking for Windows Security Program

I'm looking for a Windows security program, and I know what I
want, I just don't know if it exists.  Basically, I run a small
computer lab.  My users give new meaning to the word clueless.
I need something that will be easy for them to understand, yet keep
them from doing damage.
     I want something that will prevent users from exiting to DOS
without a password.
     I would like something that forces users to save to floppy
and will not allow saving to the hard drive (the majority of my
users don't understand the concept of a floppy disk vs. a hard
disk, and leave stuff all over the hard drives.  We clean the hard
drives regularly to keep them from getting too full, and plan to
begin reformatting the hard drives and reloading the OS across the
network when we get one.  But people always leave stuff on the hard
drive and have a cow when they come back and it's gone.  Despite
the signs everywhere saying to save to floppy)
     I would like something that will allow me to set up a shell
for users where they have like 4 groups - Word Processing, Database,
Spreadsheets, etc.  They need to be able to access the programs, but
I don't want them accessing anything else without a password.

    So, does such a thing exist?  I mostly want to keep the
users from wreaking havok and I want something that will be simple
and easy so I don't spend all my time answering simple questions.
I'd appreciate any pointers to software that might help.

     Thanks!

     Rose

--
"Yesterday upon the stair          Rose M. Delckum

2. OS/2 Warp Installation FAQ

3. Looking for windows program

4. Disk Mirroring for Motorola Unix VME Bus Systems

5. Looking for a Security Auditing Program...

6. Call for Student Volunteers: Computer-Supported Cooperative Work '94 (CSCW '94)

7. Need password program for Windows *.exe programs

8. Geocom Software fax number ?

9. File protecting by password tool needed for DOS-Windows-Windows 95 programs

10. SANS Windows ON-LINE security course with local mentor program !!!!!!!!!

11. ANNOUNCE: New encryption/security program for Windows 95

12. Security under Windows 95 (get this program for FREE!!)