serial numbers

Post by cee de » Sun, 06 Feb 2000 04:00:00

how do i find the serial number on my floppy or compact disk if i've lost
it?

serial numbers

Post by Walter Robers » Sun, 06 Feb 2000 04:00:00

:how do i find the serial number on my floppy or compact disk if i've lost
:it?

Usually, you don't.

CDs are mass produced, not individually pressed. There are no
individual serial numbers on them. Instead, the registration program
has an algorithm that "validates" the serial number you type in.
The validation could be primitive (e.g., just a check to be sure the
number was divisible by 3 and 17), or it might be quite sophisticated
(e.g., the DES decrypting of the key has to have particular properties.)

The registration program would typically accept any serial number
with the right properties, so the serial number assigned to you
would not appear anywhere on the media.

serial numbers

Post by Dave Mun » Sun, 06 Feb 2000 04:00:00

        Greetings and Salutations...
        Well, if you are talking about the serial number for the PROGRAMS
on the disk...IF you are a registered owner/licensee of the software,
then the manufacturer will likely have that information on file.  I
have found MOST of them to be very helpful in the past.  They want
their program used, of course, so anything they can do to further this
is a happy thing.
        If you have NOT registered the program, but, are still the legal
owner/licensee, then, the manufacturer will STILL typically be
helpful, although it may require you to jump through more hoops.  For
example, they MAY require you to send the original media back to them,
then, they will ship out a new copy, with serial/ID number.
You might also find a friend who has the same software, and get THEIR
ID number...but, this will pretty well preclude ONE of you from
registering.
        Otherwise...Welll...Pirates are pretty much on their own.
        Regards
        Dave Mundt

>how do i find the serial number on my floppy or compact disk if i've lost
>it?

>--

Remove the "REMOVE_THIS_" from my email address to get to me...
I hate Cullers who gather from newsgroups

Visit my home page at http://www.esper.com/xvart/index.html

1. HELP!: Does ZoneAlarm block reading/sending of Pentium III serial number in chip?!

Hi,

I have some questions:

1/ from outside: Does ZoneAlarm block outside attempts to read your PIII
serial number?

2/ but also, from inside: if you install software yourself that tries to
read your serial number and then wants to "phone it home" over the
internet, can ZoneAlarm prevent this from happening by blocking it?

3/ is ZoneAlarm the best choice for all the above, or do you recommend
another firewall?

I would really appreciate it if people with good knowledge about this
would be so kind to clarify this! Thanks in advance!

Greetings,

Mike.

2. Single line (unnamed, temp) stringstream usage?

3. Spinxwall Serial Number

4. Apple 13" RGB monitor

5. who can tell me the serial number of sessionwall-3,thanks!

6. NewerTech MaxPowr dip switch settings

7. Serial Number Desperate!!!!!!

8. Stylus Catch

9. Watchguard SOHO Feature Upgrade Serial Numbers

10. How can hackers really benefit from having your PIII/P4 serial number?!

11. Change Volume Serial Number

12. VisualRoute by Datametrics sends serial number on startup

13. AZPR 3.21 serial number?