NT 4.0 Beta 2 Server - Firewall

Post by Darren Garsi » Wed, 07 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Does anyone have any details of how to implement a firewall on NT 4.0
Server, or any WWW sites with information on this subject.

If not are there any free packages for firewall implementation under
NT.

Thanks for any you can give.

Darren Garside

NT 4.0 Beta 2 Server - Firewall

Post by Mattias Lindstro » Sat, 10 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> Does anyone have any details of how to implement a firewall on NT 4.0
> Server, or any WWW sites with information on this subject.

> If not are there any free packages for firewall implementation under
> NT.

> Thanks for any you can give.

> Darren Garside

If I where you, I woudnt rush of and installing NT4 as a firewall.
The prime objetive for a firewall is to be a trusted host. To be able te be a trusted host, you
must be able to rely on the security on the OS. Even today, you see (I know this isnt really
tru, but anywhay) UNIX security breaches. Unix has had over 20 years to mature, NT has been out
there for 5 years (if you count the first 3.1 betas). In the internet community, NT is still
considerd a "baby" and will have to prove it self as a secure platform before people start
relying on it.
Microsoft must take its responsibility as sole vendor and release every security breach to us,
the users!

You might think, hey I havent seen any reports on security flaws on NT, therefore it must be
secure! Nope.

There just arent any reporting body (like CERT) that deals with NT security. Different
mailinglists (as ISS ntsecurity) discusses security questions on NT.

I doubt that you are going to find a vendor in the near future that are releasing an NT 4.0
firewall. Everey OS change has it bugs, caveats and major disasters. Switching to NT4 will also
have this impact.

Dont get upset, just giving my opinion,
Mattias

NT 4.0 Beta 2 Server - Firewall

Post by Kevin Speich » Fri, 16 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>If I where you, I woudnt rush of and installing NT4 as a firewall.
>The prime objetive for a firewall is to be a trusted host. To be able te be a trusted host, you
>must be able to rely on the security on the OS. Even today, you see (I know this isnt really
>tru, but anywhay) UNIX security breaches. Unix has had over 20 years to mature, NT has been out
>there for 5 years (if you count the first 3.1 betas). In the internet community, NT is still
>considerd a "baby" and will have to prove it self as a secure platform before people start
>relying on it.

20 years for known holes to surface and propagate vs 3, hmmmm ...
makes you wonders who's would be more secure.   If an OS has to prove
itself as a secure platform before people start relying on it, then
Unix would never have gotten off the ground!  Don't you agree ..

No offence, just my opinions ... ;)