Domain not known....

Post by Seekers46 » Tue, 09 May 2000 04:00:00

What does the below message mean when performing a trace of an IP address?

: )

- NSLOOKUP QUERY RESULTS --

*** First PTR Name Server Lookup unsuccessful.
*** Second PTR Name Server Lookup unsuccessful.
*** All Three Name Server Lookup attempts were unsuccessful.

Domain not known....

Post by Ken Kali » Tue, 09 May 2000 04:00:00

That there is no pointer (PTR) record for that IP address contained in the
nameserver(s), PTR records show reverse DNS (rDNS). Here is the 'dig' as per
SamSpade on deja.com. Notice that the PTR record is the reverse of the Address
(A) record - one if for reverse DNS, the other for forward DNS.

Authoritative Answer
Recursive queries supported by this server
 Query for 240.192.10.208.in-addr.arpa type=255 class=1
  240.192.10.208.in-addr.arpa PTR (Pointer) x40.deja.com
  240.192.10.208.in-addr.arpa PTR (Pointer) www.deja.com
  240.192.10.208.in-addr.arpa PTR (Pointer) deja.com
  192.10.208.in-addr.arpa NS (Nameserver) odns1.dejanews.com
  192.10.208.in-addr.arpa NS (Nameserver) odns2.dejanews.com
  192.10.208.in-addr.arpa NS (Nameserver) ns.dejanews.com
  odns1.dejanews.com A (Address) 208.10.192.67
  odns2.dejanews.com A (Address) 208.10.192.68
  ns.dejanews.com A (Address) 205.238.157.74

Looks also like three nameservers were queried in your case, and as you can see
deja has also three nameservers set up for queries. A domain must have at least
two, primary and secondary.

The next step would probably be to get the IP block owner. HTH.

>What does the below message mean when performing a trace of an IP address?

>: )

>- NSLOOKUP QUERY RESULTS --

>*** First PTR Name Server Lookup unsuccessful.
>*** Second PTR Name Server Lookup unsuccessful.
>*** All Three Name Server Lookup attempts were unsuccessful.

---

Regards,

Ken Kalish

free, no-ads web-based scanner at http://kalish.daughtkom.com/

1. workstations not on the domain can access domain resources

I have an active directory (domain) in which several of
our subcontractors share the network link to access common
data on our server. Normally, I set up their workstations
and place them on the domain so they can access these
shared resources. Recently, one of the subs bought a new
pc from Dell and just plugged it into the network. They
signed in with their user name and password but never put
the w/s on the domain. Now, they have complete access to
all the shares because they are logged in as a valid user;
but they are not on the domain so I can't control policies
for them.

Q: is there any way to allow only workstations that are on
the domain access and to deny access to any "foreign"
workstations that are either on another domain or simply
in a workgroup?

2. xpr?modem.library specifications

3. NT Domain not seen from firewall

4. 90deg-filters - how to implement?

5. Non NT devices can not authenticate with Domain Controller.

6. Remote Sync to PC via modem HELP!

7. Token does not contain builtin and local group entries of foreign domain

8. Agfa Snapscan Touch and Vuescan

9. iptables & virtual interfaces/domains NOT WORKING ??

10. Domain name not recognize on Firewall

11. In Network Connections Do Not Know What 1394 Net Adapter is?

12. Host Key not found from List of Known hosts

13. Is opening a not well known port on a firewall a secutity horror ?