MS Proxy 2 + UNIX?

Post by Paul Mos » Fri, 17 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hello!

I currently use Firewall-1 V2 on a Sun Ultra 1 machine.  Works great.

However I now have a need to use the Ultra for something else and so have
been looking at firewalls for NT.

I have an eval copy of MS Proxy 2.  Installed, no problem.  BUT, does
anybody know if it works OK with UNIX machines?  Do I need special SOCKS
compliant apps on my machines?

MS are amazing in that they can talk about firewalls all through the
manuals/on-line help/reviewers guide and yet not mention UNIX once.

Amazing.

Any info would be appreciated.

Paul

MS Proxy 2 + UNIX?

Post by MM » Fri, 17 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> Hello!

> I currently use Firewall-1 V2 on a Sun Ultra 1 machine.  Works great.

> However I now have a need to use the Ultra for something else and so have
> been looking at firewalls for NT.

> I have an eval copy of MS Proxy 2.  Installed, no problem.  BUT, does
> anybody know if it works OK with UNIX machines?  Do I need special SOCKS
> compliant apps on my machines?

Their proxy requires the client (Windows) to run their Winsock client.
We switched to the CSM Proxy so that our Mac (and single Linux) clients
could also use the gateway.

Quote:> MS are amazing in that they can talk about firewalls all through the
> manuals/on-line help/reviewers guide and yet not mention UNIX once.

> Amazing.

-MM

MS Proxy 2 + UNIX?

Hello there.

:
: Their proxy requires the client (Windows) to run their Winsock client.
: We switched to the CSM Proxy so that our Mac (and single Linux) clients
: could also use the gateway.
:

MSP relies heavy on NT domain authentication.

S. Pidgorny, MCSE

MS Proxy 2 + UNIX?

Post by Michael David Jon » Tue, 21 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>I currently use Firewall-1 V2 on a Sun Ultra 1 machine.  Works great.
>However I now have a need to use the Ultra for something else and so have
>been looking at firewalls for NT.

Why not just use FireWall-1 on NT? MS's track record on security is,
well, not very good. I don't think I'd trust my network to one of
their products, frankly.

Number of courses on the Vietnam War required for graduation from
West Point: 0
        - Harper's Index, April 1991

MS Proxy 2 + UNIX?

Post by GRF » Tue, 21 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Any app that is "socksified" will work with Proxy.

>> Hello!

>> I currently use Firewall-1 V2 on a Sun Ultra 1 machine.  Works great.

>> However I now have a need to use the Ultra for something else and so have
>> been looking at firewalls for NT.

>> I have an eval copy of MS Proxy 2.  Installed, no problem.  BUT, does
>> anybody know if it works OK with UNIX machines?  Do I need special SOCKS
>> compliant apps on my machines?

>Their proxy requires the client (Windows) to run their Winsock client.
>We switched to the CSM Proxy so that our Mac (and single Linux) clients
>could also use the gateway.

>> MS are amazing in that they can talk about firewalls all through the
>> manuals/on-line help/reviewers guide and yet not mention UNIX once.

>> Amazing.

>-MM

MS Proxy 2 + UNIX?

Post by Larry Cannel » Mon, 27 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Another option is to run the Unix app under "runsocks" which automatically
SOCKSifies the connection without the applications's knowledge. Checkout the
latest socks5 release at http://www.socks.nec.com

--
Larry Cannell

MS Proxy 2 + UNIX?

Post by Forsake » Fri, 31 Jul 1998 04:00:00

www.aventail.com has an autosocks program for all unix machines. It is
commercial but it works very well. It is supposed to be fore their VPN's but
you can use it for any socks server including the nec socks server. I would
e-mail them for information.

Dennis J Potechin

>Another option is to run the Unix app under "runsocks" which automatically
>SOCKSifies the connection without the applications's knowledge. Checkout
the
>latest socks5 release at http://www.socks.nec.com

>> > Hello!

>> > I currently use Firewall-1 V2 on a Sun Ultra 1 machine.  Works great.

>> > However I now have a need to use the Ultra for something else and so
have
>> > been looking at firewalls for NT.

>> > I have an eval copy of MS Proxy 2.  Installed, no problem.  BUT, does
>> > anybody know if it works OK with UNIX machines?  Do I need special
SOCKS
>> > compliant apps on my machines?

>> Their proxy requires the client (Windows) to run their Winsock client.
>> We switched to the CSM Proxy so that our Mac (and single Linux) clients
>> could also use the gateway.

>> > MS are amazing in that they can talk about firewalls all through the
>> > manuals/on-line help/reviewers guide and yet not mention UNIX once.

>> > Amazing.

>> -MM

>--
>Larry Cannell

1. access thru ms-proxy thru unix

Hi ! I'm looking about how to use ftp (and other progs)  thru ms proxy
but without having the msp client installed ( we're not using windows
, instead, we're using unix ). Any contributions would be greatly
appreciated.

2. linksys woes!

3. MS Proxy Server 2.0 and Unix

4. DHCP Problem

5. A question about MS. proxy.

6. New version of messenger sign in failure

7. MS proxy server 2.0 and my network

8. How to get dots like in the TOC

9. MS Proxy vs Cisco PIX

10. MS-Proxy 2.0 and Exchange Server 5.5: Open ports question.

11. Reporting Tool for MS Proxy?

12. MS Proxy 2.0 vs CheckPoint vs WinProxy

13. H/W firewall after MS Proxy & Exchange