DAO vs ADO: demands upon ODBC drvr capability

DAO vs ADO: demands upon ODBC drvr capability

Post by Randall Parke » Sat, 22 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I am still using DAO syntax on an old large (100,000 lines of Basic, 160+
tables) Access project. I was thinking about starting to use ADO instead
and have a few questions:

1) If one uses ADO rather than DAO will there be fewer ODBC drivers that
the resulting application will work with?
   IOW, does ADO use more advanced features of ODBC than does DAO?

2) Is ADO-based code any faster than DAO-based code?

3) Are there any other possible pitfalls of doing a partial migration to
using ADO?

DAO vs ADO: demands upon ODBC drvr capability

Post by mary chipma » Sat, 22 Jul 2000 04:00:00

the only reason i can think of to convert that much code from DAO to
ADO would be if you were NOT going to be using jet for the data store
and were moving to SQL Server or something. otherwise, DAO is going to
give you the best performance and functionality with an Access app.
however, there's nothing to stop you from using both, especially if
you want to take advantage of some of the more advanced features in
ADO.

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000 07:14:16 -0700, Randall Parker

>I am still using DAO syntax on an old large (100,000 lines of Basic, 160+
>tables) Access project. I was thinking about starting to use ADO instead
>and have a few questions:

>1) If one uses ADO rather than DAO will there be fewer ODBC drivers that
>the resulting application will work with?
>   IOW, does ADO use more advanced features of ODBC than does DAO?

>2) Is ADO-based code any faster than DAO-based code?

>3) Are there any other possible pitfalls of doing a partial migration to
>using ADO?

DAO vs ADO: demands upon ODBC drvr capability

Post by Randall Parke » Sat, 22 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Mary,

I don't think I'll have the time to do a complete conversion. I'm
wondering whether ADO is any faster for a back-end database though.
Perhaps select pieces could be translated to use ADO.

Also, is ADO only beneficial with MS SQL Server? I basically use 3
different back-end databases and none of them are MS SQL Server. Though I
may start using MSDE for something and is is son-of-SQL Server.

Is there any chance that ADO will make Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere or
DB2 access from Access Basic go any faster?

says...

Quote:> the only reason i can think of to convert that much code from DAO to
> ADO would be if you were NOT going to be using jet for the data store
> and were moving to SQL Server or something. otherwise, DAO is going to
> give you the best performance and functionality with an Access app.
> however, there's nothing to stop you from using both, especially if
> you want to take advantage of some of the more advanced features in
> ADO.

DAO vs ADO: demands upon ODBC drvr capability

Post by mary chipma » Sun, 23 Jul 2000 04:00:00

if your tables in Access, then generally speaking, ADO is slower than
DAO. however, either library can be used inefficiently.

if you're going against other back-ends, then DAO is slower since Jet
gets in the picture. for code against anything else, ADO will most
likely give you better performance. again, this is all relative since
you can write slow, bad code in either.

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000 15:59:59 -0700, Randall Parker

>Mary,

>I don't think I'll have the time to do a complete conversion. I'm
>wondering whether ADO is any faster for a back-end database though.
>Perhaps select pieces could be translated to use ADO.

>Also, is ADO only beneficial with MS SQL Server? I basically use 3
>different back-end databases and none of them are MS SQL Server. Though I
>may start using MSDE for something and is is son-of-SQL Server.

>Is there any chance that ADO will make Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere or
>DB2 access from Access Basic go any faster?

>says...
>> the only reason i can think of to convert that much code from DAO to
>> ADO would be if you were NOT going to be using jet for the data store
>> and were moving to SQL Server or something. otherwise, DAO is going to
>> give you the best performance and functionality with an Access app.
>> however, there's nothing to stop you from using both, especially if
>> you want to take advantage of some of the more advanced features in
>> ADO.

1. ADO Recordsets and Forms (ADO vs DAO)

Hello,

I have a situation where I have an Excel spreadsheet that contains a
list of records that I need to append to an Access Table (MS-Access
2000).  I also need to display some of those records and manipulate them
within my MS-Access 2000 application.

I figured the easiest thing would be to create an ADO Recordset that
contains the MS-Excel records and then use it in my application as a
Recordset.

The first thing that I wanted to do was to display the records in a
subform / datasheet for the user to preview before commiting to the
import.

I setup my sub-form and everything looked fine until I tried to assign
the ADO Recordset to the form as in:

Me.Recordset = rs (ADO Recordset)

It gave me an error message about different Recordsets or something.  I
have read here and there about problems with ADO and DAO but I don't
know too much about it.  I don't normally use MS-Access.  In the past I
have used either Delphi or VB and worked almost exclusively with MS-SQL
Server, lastely version 7.0 which uses ADO -- hence my working with ADO
so much.

I have never worked with DAO, only ADO before which as I understand it
is the newer technology and the way to go (although I have seen remarks
to the contrary).  I find it quite confusing (and certainly a little
fustrating) as it seems that nothing is constant.  I was under the
impression that Microsoft was making life easier by providing an overall
standard, but that doesn't seem to be the case??

Anyways -- my first question is: Can I import the Excel data into my
Access application using Recordsets? Either by using DAO to access Excel
or by using ADO Recordsets with forms?

Secondly -- can anyone give some pointers (or a pointer) to where I can
find more information about ADO vs DAO -- what one should use when, why,
and how?

I have already spent enough time in the past learning technologies that
quickly became extinct and although it is inevitable, I would like to
try and slow the process down somewhat!!

Thanks,

Hugh

2. Indirect Replication setup - COMPLETED!!!

3. Using ADO Recordset with Forms (ADO vs DAO)

4. Custom Menu Stumper (A2000)

5. ADO vs DAO vs ADODB

6. Lables in report

7. DAO ADO Access vs Excel