Note:NT vs OS2 vs UNIX vs NETWARE

Post by Eli Sega » Sun, 26 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Our site curtreny us Netware 3.12&4.1, 50 users, IPX, WIN3.1 .
We are in process to implemet notes on a dedicate server .

We are looking for the right NOS (notes server), who sutes are needs
take in consderation the follwing paramets:
        1.Performenc
        2.support the curent envieorment
        3.Futuer devolpemt
        3.Simple implemention
        4.Cost

        Eli Segal

Note:NT vs OS2 vs UNIX vs NETWARE

Post by Kristian Buchwal » Sat, 02 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Could you expand on your rating?

I am in the same position as the original author, on the edge of
implementing a dedicated Notes server, and am looking into operating
systems. I am looking primarily into NT and OS/2.

Where do differences lie? Are there noticable performance differences? Do
they integrate equally well with existing Netware environments?

And an entirely different matter - will IBM support all platforms
equally?

Kristian Buchwald
IT Manager

Kristian Juncker Buchwald // IBSEN Micro Structures A/S
P.O.Box.30 / Frederiksborgvej 399 / DK-4000 Roskilde
Tel.: (+45) 46 75 40 14 / Fax.: (+45) 46 75 40 12

        "The opposite of a profound truth
         may very well be another profound truth."
                   -- Niels Bohr

Note:NT vs OS2 vs UNIX vs NETWARE

Post by David Morg » Wed, 06 Dec 1995 04:00:00

For those looking for evaluations on running Notes servers
(ver. 3.3 was tested) on different operating systems (OS/2, Windows
NT, Sun Solaris, and Netware NLM) take a look at PC Magazine's page
at:

http://www.zdnet.com/~pcmag/1412/pcm00125.htm

Quote:>Where do differences lie? Are there noticable performance differences? Do
>they integrate equally well with existing Netware environments?

NT integrates very well with Netware environments. Configuring OS/2's
LAN Services is a bit tricky. Perhaps this will change with the
upcoming OS/2 Warp Server.

OS/2 and NT were pretty much neck and neck -- although these two
platforms (according to the PC Magazine article) are the first to
crash under servere mail traffic. Notes Server for Solaris was a good
mail server, but failed miserably as a database server.

Quote:>And an entirely different matter - will IBM support all platforms
>equally?

I recently attended at Lotus Notes seminar and from all the Lotus
representative was saying about upcoming product development, it
appears that Lotus is developing for NT first, then porting to other
platforms. They said OS/2 would be supported, but no more development
would be done for Netware NLM (and considering that NT operates well
in Netware settings, it probably saves them some time and money).

-----

George Bush had his vision thing, I've got mine,
and they both come from Panama.

Note:NT vs OS2 vs UNIX vs NETWARE

Post by Roy Ruman » Thu, 07 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I just put beta 2 of V4 on my new HPNetServer running NT 3.51 and boy
did it scream. Of course it is a P5/100 with 96Meg of RAM, 8Gig of
RAID-5 configured drives.  Gotta love big corporations with deep
pockets <G>  On top of that, you can run both the server and the
client at the same time as well as create new users without downing
the server.

Roy Rumaner
Lotus Notes Administrator/Developer
Stone Container Corporation

Note:NT vs OS2 vs UNIX vs NETWARE

Post by Remi Junea » Tue, 12 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Hi

NT is the most stable of the two. (miles away from OS/2) We've
been running 14 OS/2 servers for the past 3 years and are now
slowly migrating to NT. The biggest problem in the NT version is
that you cannot run the Notes client on the server when it (the
server) is running. I still do not know if this will be possible
in V4. As for Netware integration, they're on par.

Regards

1. !!!!!!NT vs. AS/400 vs. Unix!!!!!!!

Okay I'm trying to come up with some arguments to take our Lotus Notes
off of our NT box and move to an AS/400.  We have approx. 350 users and
run about 100-500 Transactions per Minute.  Which machine would be best
and if there are some ppl out there that has ever ran Lotus on the
AS/400 please let me know I want to hear your issues and praises.  Or
even ppl that have used it on the HP/9000 or any Unix machine.

Your Input is Appreciated
Jerry

2. Warp 4 - After installation what to patch?

3. GroupWise vs. Notes vs. Exchange/Outlook vs. Netscape Mail

4. How to read the information displayed on the screen (that is console or stdout)

5. Notes.Admin VS Notes.Dev VS Notes.Jobs

6. Sending to server with BSD 3.5

7. RDBMS-based Intranet groupware products vs Notes : RDBMS vs proprietary

8. IBM 4019 Laser printer

9. RDBMS-based Intranet groupware products vs Notes : RDBMS vs proprietary doc. storage

10. Notes vs. Exchange vs. WWW

11. Notes vs. WWW = GM vs. US Interstate Highway System

12. Workflow Products: Notes vs Filenet vs Delrina

13. Notes Market Share of NT vs. UNIX