JOIN Help

Post by Luca » Tue, 17 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hi all, I'm mostly a Notes Administrator and don't know very much about
NOTES programming. I'd like to know if there's any way to make a sort of SQL
like join. I'll try to explain myself better wi this scenario:

DBaseA
FormA (with fields:   Client Name and Client Last Name and Client Code)
View with Client Code sorted as first column and Name and Last Name

DBaseB
FormB (with fields:   Client Code and Client discount percentage)
View with Client Code sorted as first column and discount percentage

Now that's the question: Can I make a view on DBaseA like this:

Name    Last_Name    Client_Code    Discount_Percentage

of course Discount_Percentage shoud be taken from the DBaseB with something
like DBLookup but I'm afraid it won't work on views so do I have any
chanches to make such a thing w/o any other external dbase ??

Thanks a lot in advance!

(4 human remove the extraKKK)

JOIN Help

Post by Scott Sulliva » Tue, 17 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Notes doesn't work like a relational Database.  Why not store that in the same
database or better yet in the same form?

In article , "Luca" says...

>Hi all, I'm mostly a Notes Administrator and don't know very much about
>NOTES programming. I'd like to know if there's any way to make a sort of SQL
>like join. I'll try to explain myself better wi this scenario:

>DBaseA
>FormA (with fields:   Client Name and Client Last Name and Client Code)
>View with Client Code sorted as first column and Name and Last Name

>DBaseB
>FormB (with fields:   Client Code and Client discount percentage)
>View with Client Code sorted as first column and discount percentage

>Now that's the question: Can I make a view on DBaseA like this:

>Name    Last_Name    Client_Code    Discount_Percentage

>of course Discount_Percentage shoud be taken from the DBaseB with something
>like DBLookup but I'm afraid it won't work on views so do I have any
>chanches to make such a thing w/o any other external dbase ??

>Thanks a lot in advance!

>(4 human remove the extraKKK)

JOIN Help

Post by Luca4N.. » Wed, 18 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Why not store that in the same database or better yet in the same form?

Thanks Scott,
  anyway it was a try I'll follow your suggestion even if I'd have liked to
be able to solve my problems with different dbases ;-)

Thanks again

Luca

1. HELP: mimicing a JOIN?

I'm relatively new to Notes. I understand that it is not an RDBMS.
However, how would I achieve the following:

Main topic: Company document, including type of company, and status.
Response document: Configuration document, including what individual
hardware and software they have purchased from us.

Query: How many clients (company type = client) that are property managers
(company business = property manager) have purchased

Unless I'm missing something, full text search is fine for queries on
data in a single document type. But if I need to query on the contents
of more than one, and I can't afford to duplicate the fields because
there would be too many, do I need something like the Notes Reporter?

tia,

lcc.

2. DB Trigger (Feature???)

3. Join a file to a email ...???

4. Access

5. Crystal Reports (performance when doing "join")??

6. I need a BBC emulator!!!!!

7. Joining 2 views to form a new view

8. Unhappy with money98

9. Note SQL and outer join

10. How do you join the LNOTESL Mailing List?

11. Joining an oracle database to notes so queries can be performed

12. Are views based on "joins" possible in Lotus Notes?

13. join to fields