APP DEV1 EXAM

Post by Netsh.. » Tue, 24 Mar 1998 04:00:00

To anyone who recently took this exam (App Dev1)...  I'm taking this
test this week, and have read thru both exam books by McGraw-Hill and
New Riders.

Do these books prepare you enough to pass?

Any thoughts on other sources or areas that they hit * the exam
would be much appreciated.

APP DEV1 EXAM

Post by Thomas Du » Wed, 25 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I used the McGraw-Hill book (along with 1.5 years of experience), and passed
ADI with a 94%.  I credit much of the success to how the McGraw-Hill book
focuses on what is (and what isn't) covered....

Passed ADII with a 95% using the same method.  The real test will be when I
take SAI next month...  ;-)

Tom Duff

>To anyone who recently took this exam (App Dev1)...  I'm taking this
>test this week, and have read thru both exam books by McGraw-Hill and
>New Riders.

>Do these books prepare you enough to pass?

>Any thoughts on other sources or areas that they hit * the exam
>would be much appreciated.

APP DEV1 EXAM

Post by Chri » Wed, 25 Mar 1998 04:00:00

C'mon Tom...you know you love Admin work   :-)

> I used the McGraw-Hill book (along with 1.5 years of experience), and passed
> ADI with a 94%.  I credit much of the success to how the McGraw-Hill book
> focuses on what is (and what isn't) covered....

> Passed ADII with a 95% using the same method.  The real test will be when I
> take SAI next month...  ;-)

> Tom Duff

> >To anyone who recently took this exam (App Dev1)...  I'm taking this
> >test this week, and have read thru both exam books by McGraw-Hill and
> >New Riders.

> >Do these books prepare you enough to pass?

> >Any thoughts on other sources or areas that they hit * the exam
> >would be much appreciated.

APP DEV1 EXAM

Post by Gerry Kin » Thu, 26 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>>To anyone who recently took this exam (App Dev1)...  I'm taking this
>>test this week, and have read thru both exam books by McGraw-Hill and
>>New Riders.

>>Do these books prepare you enough to pass?

Quote:>I used the McGraw-Hill book (along with 1.5 years of experience), and passed
>ADI with a 94%.  I credit much of the success to how the McGraw-Hill book
>focuses on what is (and what isn't) covered....

I bought the New Riders book but only started looking at it on the train
(20 mins) in to take the AD1 exam. I passed but if I had read it I would

Anyone taking this one should watchout for silly errors - missing square
brackets, colon/semi-colons

Quote:

>Passed ADII with a 95% using the same method.

I am reading the book for this one <S>

Quote:>The real test will be when I
>take SAI next month...  ;-)

Arggh - that is the reason I bought the book. I was cramming admin for a
possible position on Friday. The New Riders got me up to speed but then
the interview didn't materialise :-(.

--
Gerry King

APP DEV1 EXAM

Post by Thomas Du » Fri, 27 Mar 1998 04:00:00

You're BAD, Chris....  ;-)

Surprisingly, I'll probably do a fair amount of that in the new job, as well
as rebuild machines, administer the NT network, and everything else that needs
to be done.  They were in the middle of a network cutover the first week, and
just about EVERYTHING they were doing wasn't in my skill set.  Now in the
third week, I built my first Win95 laptop from scratch, and then upgraded it
to NT.  Not that I could do it again all by myself, but it's a start!

So how you doing?

Tom

>C'mon Tom...you know you love Admin work   :-)

>> I used the McGraw-Hill book (along with 1.5 years of experience), and passed
>> ADI with a 94%.  I credit much of the success to how the McGraw-Hill book
>> focuses on what is (and what isn't) covered....

>> Passed ADII with a 95% using the same method.  The real test will be when I
>> take SAI next month...  ;-)

>> Tom Duff

APP DEV1 EXAM

Post by S.. » Fri, 27 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I'm taking My First AD-1 Next Week, I'm using the New Riders CLP and McGraw's
Book, Also I'm using TestPrep Software which has some good Questions and
Samples.

>To anyone who recently took this exam (App Dev1)...  I'm taking this
>test this week, and have read thru both exam books by McGraw-Hill and
>New Riders.

>Do these books prepare you enough to pass?

>Any thoughts on other sources or areas that they hit * the exam
>would be much appreciated.

APP DEV1 EXAM

Post by David Gordo » Mon, 30 Mar 1998 04:00:00

The only books you really need are the Release 4 Application

Make sure you understand the basics of databases, forms, views, and
agents. If you understand the material in those two books you will pass
the App Dev 1 test. Buying extra training material cannot help you more
than spending a few hours reading these two books.

APP DEV1 EXAM

Post by S.. » Sat, 04 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I Used Both Books McGraw and New Riders - Just Passed My First AD1 Test Today
!! - Missed only 3 Questoins. It Was Easy !!! - The Books Are Greate.
NewRiders: Is For Starters - Greate for Learning from Scratch
McGraw: Good If You Already Know The Stuff and Need A Few Hints Before the
Test.

>>>To anyone who recently took this exam (App Dev1)...  I'm taking this
>>>test this week, and have read thru both exam books by McGraw-Hill and
>>>New Riders.

>>>Do these books prepare you enough to pass?

>>I used the McGraw-Hill book (along with 1.5 years of experience), and passed
>>ADI with a 94%.  I credit much of the success to how the McGraw-Hill book
>>focuses on what is (and what isn't) covered....

>I bought the New Riders book but only started looking at it on the train
>(20 mins) in to take the AD1 exam. I passed but if I had read it I would

>Anyone taking this one should watchout for silly errors - missing square
>brackets, colon/semi-colons

>>Passed ADII with a 95% using the same method.

>I am reading the book for this one <S>

>>The real test will be when I
>>take SAI next month...  ;-)

>Arggh - that is the reason I bought the book. I was cramming admin for a
>possible position on Friday. The New Riders got me up to speed but then
>the interview didn't materialise :-(.

APP DEV1 EXAM

Post by S.. » Sat, 04 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I Used Both Books McGraw and New Riders - Just Passed My First AD1 Test Today
!! - Missed only 3 Questoins. It Was Easy !!! - The Books Are Greate.
NewRiders: Is For Starters - Greate for Learning from Scratch
McGraw: Good If You Already Know The Stuff and Need A Few Hints Before the
Test.

>The only books you really need are the Release 4 Application

>Make sure you understand the basics of databases, forms, views, and
>agents. If you understand the material in those two books you will pass
>the App Dev 1 test. Buying extra training material cannot help you more
>than spending a few hours reading these two books.

APP DEV1 EXAM

Post by Gerry Kin » Mon, 06 Apr 1998 05:00:00

writes

>The only books you really need are the Release 4 Application

>Make sure you understand the basics of databases, forms, views, and
>agents. If you understand the material in those two books you will pass
>the App Dev 1 test. Buying extra training material cannot help you more
>than spending a few hours reading these two books.

I disagree. The same material is repackaged with the exam goal in mind.
You can learn 'how to' do stuff from the manuals - by that metric the
New Riders book would be a poor buy.

I was dreading SA1. Two years ago I went on the R3 course and since then
worked in a development group with minimal contact with the Notes Admin
team. The test exam software on the accompanying CD was a great
confidence booster. You can answer exam questions and check the answers
as you go. I spent a day reading the book and doing a practice test.
When I got into the exam I discovered that you only needed 64% from 34
questions. Knowing I had already done far better with the test software
I settled down to passing the 'dreaded' exam.

The book taught me what I needed to pass the exam. Mind you, I wouldn't
want me administering the servers <g>

(hoping no prospective employer uses Deja News to check people out...)
--
Gerry King

APP DEV1 EXAM

Post by m.. » Wed, 08 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Can somebody give me the full title of the McGraw book with ISBN no
please!! I have to take both App Dev and Sys Ad in the next 2
weeks!!!!

--
Michael Golding

APP DEV1 EXAM

Post by Stra » Thu, 09 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>Can somebody give me the full title of the McGraw book with ISBN no
>please!! I have to take both App Dev and Sys Ad in the next 2
>weeks!!!!

Sure.....

Lotus Notes Certification Exam Guide
McGraw-Hill