Certifications problems with Sylvan - re: Lotus, Microsoft, and Novell

Certifications problems with Sylvan - re: Lotus, Microsoft, and Novell

Post by DeLano Gordo » Wed, 16 Dec 1998 04:00:00

My name is DeLano Gordon and I am a Certifed Notes Administrator, Novell
CNA, Microsoft MCSE, and tried to take the AppDev 2 exam to be a Certified
Notes Application Developer.  I signed up for this exam mid week by calling
Sylvan at (1800-745-6887) and they took all my information.  However when
I went to the
testing center on
Sat. they had no record of me enrolled to take the exam...but they charged
my the $90 the day I signed up. Took my money just fine but claimed to have
problems
when I called the following Monday. This is only one of my many problems
with Sylvan and their incompetency. I have decided to form a petition and
email it to all the
major vendors.  I am also gonna request that they take a survey of their
certified individuals to find out the level of quality service received at
Sylvan.  I would think at
the very least they would have given individuals a courtesy call.  I am
asking all certified individuals whom experienced problems to please email
me at home at

name and email address and brief description of your troubles if you choose
to so
that I may forward it to Lotus, Microsoft, and Novell.
-- Thank You

Certifications problems with Sylvan - re: Lotus, Microsoft, and Novell

Post by Bernd Kelle » Sat, 19 Dec 1998 04:00:00

You are lucky you reached them at all.
I try to reach Sylvan Germany since two weeks, left 2 messages for them
calling me back, stayed several times for a long time in the waiting
line for registration - nothing.

Bernd Keller

Certifications problems with Sylvan - re: Lotus, Microsoft, and Novell

Post by Michael Riestere » Wed, 23 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I had similar problems with a mcse exam last week. The education center
where  I wanted to make the exam told me, that the German branch of Sylvan
Prometric doesn't exist any longer. So all exams for Germany are organized
by Sylvan Holland. And this company seems to have big trouble to get all
organized.

Michael Riesterer

>You are lucky you reached them at all.
>I try to reach Sylvan Germany since two weeks, left 2 messages for them
>calling me back, stayed several times for a long time in the waiting
>line for registration - nothing.

>Bernd Keller

Certifications problems with Sylvan - re: Lotus, Microsoft, and Novell

Post by Vance Joch » Mon, 28 Dec 1998 04:00:00

My experience with Sylvan has also been bad.  They used to send me to a
local junior college for the exams, and THREE times when I showed up, no
one was at the testing lab, and I had to hunt around for 15-20 min to
find someone to call the Director - they then send out a student intern
to supervise the exam.  The college also had no maps so you couldn't
find the correct building on the first visit, and if you didn't have a
student parking permit they would tow your car - unless you had enough
quarters to feed a parking meter.

You are right to ask for an objective feedback card - Lotus has NEVER
had such a system for any of their outsourced vendors so their product
managers never are held accountable for measuring the quality of work
provided by the vendors they select.

Sylvan also did not have a website and it took 10-20 minutes on hold to
get them to answer (I am in California).   I finally found another local
Sylvan test site that offered Helocopter training and exams, and they
are great and parking is free.  I did, however, learn to confirm with
the test site that they are open during the hours I plan for the test,
and that they have a record of my registration.

Complain to a Sr. Manager in Lotus, maybe they are from IBM and will
react to this constant service problem with Lotus specified vendors.

Vance Jochim, CLP
President, Orange County Notes User Group

[...]

your
&name and email address and brief description of your troubles if you
choose
&to so
&that I may forward it to Lotus, Microsoft, and Novell.
&-- Thank You
&

Vance Jochim ("Yokum"), CLP
Remove the XX in the email address to respond (to prevent spam)
WEBworks Systems
Lotus Notes applications consulting on a contract basis.
Orange County, CA
714-662-2501

Certifications problems with Sylvan - re: Lotus, Microsoft, and Novell

Post by templ » Mon, 28 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Welcome to the club......i went to a center for the first time to take my
sa 2 exams and it's so unbelieveable the testing area was so noisy.  they
had a lady who would not seat in her chair for 10 minutes without going out
to talk with the staff i guess she was a regular.  thank God i passed the
exam . i was going to complain but then i just gave up ......but that is
the first and it will be the last time i go there.

I sympatise with you

> My name is DeLano Gordon and I am a Certifed Notes Administrator, Novell
> CNA, Microsoft MCSE, and tried to take the AppDev 2 exam to be a
Certified
> Notes Application Developer.  I signed up for this exam mid week by
calling
> Sylvan at (1800-745-6887) and they took all my information.  However when
> I went to the
> testing center on
> Sat. they had no record of me enrolled to take the exam...but they
charged
> my the $90 the day I signed up. Took my money just fine but claimed to
have
> problems
> when I called the following Monday. This is only one of my many problems
> with Sylvan and their incompetency. I have decided to form a petition and
> email it to all the
> major vendors.  I am also gonna request that they take a survey of their
> certified individuals to find out the level of quality service received
at
> Sylvan.  I would think at
> the very least they would have given individuals a courtesy call.  I am
> asking all certified individuals whom experienced problems to please
email
> me at home at

> name and email address and brief description of your troubles if you
choose
> to so
> that I may forward it to Lotus, Microsoft, and Novell.
> -- Thank You

1. Novell to AS/400 to Novell

I have a Notes server on my local Novell network.  We also have our
AS/400 attached to the local network.  Over remote lines, I also have
Novell networks attached to their remote controllers.

Has anyone used their AS/400 to route the Notes traffic to another
Novell network?  I don't necessarily want to make my AS/400 a Notes
server itself.  Would TCP/IP be a possible solution?

2. removing X-Workplace

3. problem with Novell DLL and Lotus Notes under win95

4. Motorola 3400 Modems in the UK?

5. Problem updating a Microsoft Word embedded object from within Lotus Notes

6. Excel Sort from Lotus Script

7. Lotus Notes and Microsoft Word problem

8. Putting a VCR into record via SCART

9. Having Problems With Loading Notes onto Novell Server

10. Erratic printing problem in Notes 4.1 on Novell Network

11. Networking problem: Novell and MS's Windows for Workgroup

12. Help : Notes/Novell problem

13. Novell GroupWise 6.5 mail server and Lotus Notes email client