Go to Lotus or stick with Microsoft?

Post by Joha » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 16:10:31

Maybe not the best place to ask this ... but let's go!
I just started on a new job, and i must decide wath platform to use for oure
messaging, database development and webserver.
In the past i used to work only with Microsoft tools, i whas an exchange
administrator and developed websites in ASP.
Then, when my former employer whas taken over by another company, the wanted
to get Lotus inhouse.
So we did a comparisation, and after about 30 minutes i whas convinced to
switch to Lotus!
I took severall courses, admin and designer, and migrated about 300 users
from outlook and exchange to Lotus.
Since then i have been the only administrator and developer in the company,
running 4 Domino servers, and 1200 clients.

Now, i have a new job, for a small non-profit organisations, that runs about
30 wildlife shelters troughout the country, and has a 1 main office.
In total, when i count all the employees that will be using the mailserver
i'm about to setup i get a number off  7 employees.
The first need is messaging, calendering and sheduling is not an issue.
Another part is database development, currently they have a *BIG* paper
archive, and that should all be put in some databases. It is pure document
management, no relational data.

And last but not least, our websites. We have some big plans with the
internet (oure does the internet have plans with us?).
Our main site, should be redeveloped and become fully dynamic. Then there
will be about 5 projectsites coming up, and very regular, when we do a
special action, there must be a database that collects data from our
visitors.

That are our plans.
Currently there is nothing here, and i'm supposed to get everything up and
running. Call it a one man it department here. Since it is a non profit
organisation, i have time, but i don't have money!

Here is my question: should i get Lotus in the house, or just run the
Microsoft stuff.
There whas a IT-consultant that installed a file server some time ago, and
that runs Microsoft Small business server, so exchange, sql server etc. is
allready here.
Currently, employees here use Outlook express and Oultook with some
mailboxes at the ISP.

Help me deside based on a clear look at the situation! If i let my heart
speak, i go for Lotus, but is it the best choice in my case? 1 server, 7
users.

Thanks in advance,
Sincerly,
Johan.

Go to Lotus or stick with Microsoft?

Post by Danny Lawrenc » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 22:27:52

Quote:>Maybe not the best place to ask this ... but let's go!
>I just started on a new job, and i must decide wath platform to use for oure
>messaging, database development and webserver.
>In the past i used to work only with Microsoft tools, i whas an exchange
>administrator and developed websites in ASP.
>Then, when my former employer whas taken over by another company, the wanted
>to get Lotus inhouse.
>So we did a comparisation, and after about 30 minutes i whas convinced to
>switch to Lotus!
>I took severall courses, admin and designer, and migrated about 300 users
>from outlook and exchange to Lotus.
>Since then i have been the only administrator and developer in the company,
>running 4 Domino servers, and 1200 clients.

>Now, i have a new job, for a small non-profit organisations, that runs about
>30 wildlife shelters troughout the country, and has a 1 main office.
>In total, when i count all the employees that will be using the mailserver
>i'm about to setup i get a number off  7 employees.
>The first need is messaging, calendering and sheduling is not an issue.
>Another part is database development, currently they have a *BIG* paper
>archive, and that should all be put in some databases. It is pure document
>management, no relational data.

>And last but not least, our websites. We have some big plans with the
>internet (oure does the internet have plans with us?).
>Our main site, should be redeveloped and become fully dynamic. Then there
>will be about 5 projectsites coming up, and very regular, when we do a
>special action, there must be a database that collects data from our
>visitors.

>That are our plans.
>Currently there is nothing here, and i'm supposed to get everything up and
>running. Call it a one man it department here. Since it is a non profit
>organisation, i have time, but i don't have money!

>Here is my question: should i get Lotus in the house, or just run the
>Microsoft stuff.
>There whas a IT-consultant that installed a file server some time ago, and
>that runs Microsoft Small business server, so exchange, sql server etc. is
>allready here.
>Currently, employees here use Outlook express and Oultook with some
>mailboxes at the ISP.

>Help me deside based on a clear look at the situation! If i let my heart
>speak, i go for Lotus, but is it the best choice in my case? 1 server, 7
>users.

Here's why I'd go with a Lotus solution in your case:
1. You only have manage 1 server -- a Domino server (and you can run
it on a Linux box, if you don't want to pony up those MSFT license
fees), with a MSFT solution you are going to need to manage IIS and
Exchanged servers, even if you put them on the same box, they still
have to be managed differently (and I'm sure you have seen cases where
a fix for one screws up the other).  Not to mention upgrading an
Exchanged server usually ends up being a "rip and replace" job (for
example, do you know if you install Win2K3 Active Directory on a
network with an Exchange 2000 running, you can trash the Ex2K
server?).
2. You will have fewer virus problems. There is a reason that MSFT's
email client is refered to as lookOut in this forum (it is short for
"Look out! here comes another virus!"), I would never recommend that
you don't use an AV program, but there have been lookOut-based viruses
that get "into the wild" before the AV vendors have a chance to update
their pattern files.  There has never been a successsful Notes/Domino
virus in the wild.
3. A Domino server is inherently more secure (or to put it another
way, it is easier to get the security right on a Domino server).
4. Domino is an integrated solution, if you want workflow and web
authoring, you don't need to learn another product, and you don't need
a "webmaster" to "Put things on the website", assuming a minimally
competant design you can have people just create documents "just like
creating an e-mail" and they will appear on the website.
5. I'm sure the MSFT fans will tell you that Domino costs more
(especially since you already have the software), and they are right,
my answers to that are, "You get what you pay for" and Lotus/IBM has
just rolled out some SMB programs that have some very attractive
pricing and they also cut deals for non-profits.

Go to Lotus or stick with Microsoft?

Post by TiGGr » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 22:35:31

linux + notes... (keeping costs down)

the sbs is just shite... (when you start running all apps the server will
slow down)

this way you get all in one... and you don't have to worry about viruses if
you go from outlook clients also ;)

// Johan

Quote:> Maybe not the best place to ask this ... but let's go!
> I just started on a new job, and i must decide wath platform to use for
oure
> messaging, database development and webserver.
> In the past i used to work only with Microsoft tools, i whas an exchange
> administrator and developed websites in ASP.
> Then, when my former employer whas taken over by another company, the
wanted
> to get Lotus inhouse.
> So we did a comparisation, and after about 30 minutes i whas convinced to
> switch to Lotus!
> I took severall courses, admin and designer, and migrated about 300 users
> from outlook and exchange to Lotus.
> Since then i have been the only administrator and developer in the
company,
> running 4 Domino servers, and 1200 clients.

> Now, i have a new job, for a small non-profit organisations, that runs
about
> 30 wildlife shelters troughout the country, and has a 1 main office.
> In total, when i count all the employees that will be using the mailserver
> i'm about to setup i get a number off  7 employees.
> The first need is messaging, calendering and sheduling is not an issue.
> Another part is database development, currently they have a *BIG* paper
> archive, and that should all be put in some databases. It is pure document
> management, no relational data.

> And last but not least, our websites. We have some big plans with the
> internet (oure does the internet have plans with us?).
> Our main site, should be redeveloped and become fully dynamic. Then there
> will be about 5 projectsites coming up, and very regular, when we do a
> special action, there must be a database that collects data from our
> visitors.

> That are our plans.
> Currently there is nothing here, and i'm supposed to get everything up and
> running. Call it a one man it department here. Since it is a non profit
> organisation, i have time, but i don't have money!

> Here is my question: should i get Lotus in the house, or just run the
> Microsoft stuff.
> There whas a IT-consultant that installed a file server some time ago, and
> that runs Microsoft Small business server, so exchange, sql server etc. is
> allready here.
> Currently, employees here use Outlook express and Oultook with some
> mailboxes at the ISP.

> Help me deside based on a clear look at the situation! If i let my heart
> speak, i go for Lotus, but is it the best choice in my case? 1 server, 7
> users.

> Thanks in advance,
> Sincerly,
> Johan.

Go to Lotus or stick with Microsoft?

Post by AcCeSsDeNiE » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 22:43:18

Dude,  I think with 7 employees and no groupware stuff involved, you might want to just stick with
the usual mail.

But you might want to consider setting up IMAP instead of pop retrieval.
That way you can provide them with a little bit of 'advance features'.
And with IMAP, the mail folders are stored on the server so that way when one of the PC konks, you
still have the mail on the server. You can also do fancy stuffs like providing web-based mail
interfaces. And you need Linux.

>Maybe not the best place to ask this ... but let's go!
>I just started on a new job, and i must decide wath platform to use for oure
>messaging, database development and webserver.
>In the past i used to work only with Microsoft tools, i whas an exchange
>administrator and developed websites in ASP.
>Then, when my former employer whas taken over by another company, the wanted
>to get Lotus inhouse.
>So we did a comparisation, and after about 30 minutes i whas convinced to
>switch to Lotus!
>I took severall courses, admin and designer, and migrated about 300 users
>from outlook and exchange to Lotus.
>Since then i have been the only administrator and developer in the company,
>running 4 Domino servers, and 1200 clients.

>Now, i have a new job, for a small non-profit organisations, that runs about
>30 wildlife shelters troughout the country, and has a 1 main office.
>In total, when i count all the employees that will be using the mailserver
>i'm about to setup i get a number off  7 employees.
>The first need is messaging, calendering and sheduling is not an issue.
>Another part is database development, currently they have a *BIG* paper
>archive, and that should all be put in some databases. It is pure document
>management, no relational data.

>And last but not least, our websites. We have some big plans with the
>internet (oure does the internet have plans with us?).
>Our main site, should be redeveloped and become fully dynamic. Then there
>will be about 5 projectsites coming up, and very regular, when we do a
>special action, there must be a database that collects data from our
>visitors.

>That are our plans.
>Currently there is nothing here, and i'm supposed to get everything up and
>running. Call it a one man it department here. Since it is a non profit
>organisation, i have time, but i don't have money!

>Here is my question: should i get Lotus in the house, or just run the
>Microsoft stuff.
>There whas a IT-consultant that installed a file server some time ago, and
>that runs Microsoft Small business server, so exchange, sql server etc. is
>allready here.
>Currently, employees here use Outlook express and Oultook with some
>mailboxes at the ISP.

>Help me deside based on a clear look at the situation! If i let my heart
>speak, i go for Lotus, but is it the best choice in my case? 1 server, 7
>users.

>Thanks in advance,
>Sincerly,
>Johan.

To e-mail, remove the obvious

Go to Lotus or stick with Microsoft?

Post by walt » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 15:00:48

Quote:> In total, when i count all the employees that will be using the mailserver
> i'm about to setup i get a number off  7 employees.
> The first need is messaging, calendering and sheduling is not an issue.

Messaging for 7 employees with as few costs as possible? Look for
shareware. Pegasus, Eudora etc. will be fine.

Quote:> Another part is database development, currently they have a *BIG* paper
> archive, and that should all be put in some databases. It is pure document
> management, no relational data.

For this a full indexed Notes document database is definitely the best
thing. But a well organised Linux server tree will do as well, I
guess.

Quote:> And last but not least, our websites. We have some big plans with the
> internet (oure does the internet have plans with us?).
> Our main site, should be redeveloped and become fully dynamic. Then there
> will be about 5 projectsites coming up, and very regular, when we do a
> special action, there must be a database that collects data from our
> visitors.

My favorite webserver is Apache+Tomcat, language for dynamic pages
PHP, database MySQL. It's by far the most used combination, and the
reasons are obvious once you work with it.
Does all you describe above and is simple and fast and stable. And for
free!

Quote:> Here is my question: should i get Lotus in the house, or just run the
> Microsoft stuff.

None of it for what you describe. All is overpowered.
If you absolutely want one of them I would use Notes because of the
better document management utilities and the simple web content
manager built into standard Notes NSFs.
Also for security, because *every* virus and worm avalanche rallying
round the world is written for Outlook/Exchange, zero for Notes.

Walter

1. Now stuck in Outbound Queue - was "Mail stuck in Inbound Queue"

Howdy,

I really hate following up my own posts, but I'm at a loss.  I shut down and
restarted the SMTPMTA
(not the service, and not the whole server) and it started serving all the
mail fine for a while, but now
the mail has gotten stuck in the Outbound Queue.  Restarting the SMTPMTA
made it start serving again.

Can anyone shine a little light this direction?  Off to call Lotus . . .

Hunter

Hunter previously yammered:

2. V5 Custom Pallettes

3. Newsgroups for Lotus Notes & MicroSoft Exchange Email Adminstrators

4. OS/2, FAT32X, & SCSI

5. Update Java Servlet API 1.0 to 2.0 (Lotus Domino Go)

6. DCOMCnfg command-line interface (?)

7. How can I transfer the contact data from Microsoft Outlook and import to Lotus Notes

8. microsoft lotus notes connector

9. Lotus Notes Client r5 and Microsoft Exchange

10. Update Java Servlet API 1.0 to 2.0 (Lotus Domino Go)

11. Certifications problems with Sylvan - re: Lotus, Microsoft, and Novell