How to pwd protect local mail database ?

How to pwd protect local mail database ?

Post by Christian Meno » Fri, 24 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Or simply set in ACL consistence on your ACL, so that the ACL would have
effect locally. it's the same when you want to test roles.

How to pwd protect local mail database ?

Post by Kelly Rya » Fri, 24 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Enforce Consistent ACL was not available for version 3.x.  I think
encryption is the only way to go with this.

Kelly
(remove nospam to reply)

Post by Danny Lawren » Sun, 26 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>I noticed that in version 3.34, users can open the LOCAL mail file
>database & start reading messages without entering a password.  I tried
>several settings with access control, server/ws setup etc. but it seems
>like impossible to protect the local replica file.
>Has anyone got a workaround for this issue ?

Upgrade to R4.  That;s the only way you're going to get what you want

--Danny Lawrence, Tiassa Technologies Inc.
  Lotus Notes Configuration, Development and Management

 "Tiassa Dreams and plots are born"  --Steven Brust

How to pwd protect local mail database ?

Post by Charlie Brow » Sat, 22 Nov 1997 04:00:00

This is not particularly secure.  If someone has access to your
workstation, and knows much about Notes, they can get by ACL protection
on local databases pretty quickly, even with "enforce consistent ACL"
set.  (I've done it myself!)  The only way to really secure local DBs is
with encryption.

> Or simply set in ACL consistence on your ACL, so that the ACL would have
> effect locally. it's the same when you want to test roles.

How to pwd protect local mail database ?

Post by Chri » Tue, 25 Nov 1997 04:00:00

But who was in the ACL to allow you to bypass it is the question.

> This is not particularly secure.  If someone has access to your
> workstation, and knows much about Notes, they can get by ACL protection
> on local databases pretty quickly, even with "enforce consistent ACL"
> set.  (I've done it myself!)  The only way to really secure local DBs is
> with encryption.

> > Or simply set in ACL consistence on your ACL, so that the ACL would have
> > effect locally. it's the same when you want to test roles.

How to pwd protect local mail database ?

Post by Marc Jaeg » Wed, 26 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

Even Lotus doesn't recommend the option "enforce consistent ACL" as a
secure security feature.
With some programming it's possible to go over it.

Regards

Marc Jaegy
Novartis

> But who was in the ACL to allow you to bypass it is the question.

> > This is not particularly secure.  If someone has access to your
> > workstation, and knows much about Notes, they can get by ACL protection
> > on local databases pretty quickly, even with "enforce consistent ACL"
> > set.  (I've done it myself!)  The only way to really secure local DBs is
> > with encryption.

> > > Or simply set in ACL consistence on your ACL, so that the ACL would have
> > > effect locally. it's the same when you want to test roles.

1. How can I protect database from copying or replicating to local ?

I have application on server with rather confidential informations.
Some users are set as readers in ACL. If they work on server - all is ok.
But if they know how to copy or replicate thie database to their local
server,
and they know that they can deselect copying ACL list, so
on local server they can do everything with data.
They can take it everywhere.
How can I protect database from copying or replicating this way ?
Help..

2. Data Transfer Cable

3. How to password protect a local database?

4. The eventual laptop

5. How can I protect database from copying or replicating to local ?

6. fatal error (repost non html this time,sorry.)

7. mail-in database: do you save to local as well as mail-in database?

8. Replacing Bitmaps

9. How can I protect my application from copying to local ?

10. Protect from copying to local

11. Change or disable database encryption for local mail archive

12. Sending Mail with C Lotus Notes API - without PWD prompt

13. is it my Notes Database protected?