SQL Server 7.0 and DOMINO as a LINKED SERVER

SQL Server 7.0 and DOMINO as a LINKED SERVER

Post by R Baron » Mon, 08 Jan 2001 12:14:46

I have added a Lotus Notes database as a Linked Server
in SQL Server 7.0 using the Lotus Notes SQL 2.06 ODBC Driver.

I can successfully add the linked server and see the tables (Notes
Forms) from my data source but when I run a simple SQL statement
against it, I get the following error message:

Server: Msg 207, Level 16, State 3, Line 1
Invalid column name 'ResourceName'.

The field I am trying to retrieve IS the exact same name given to
the field in my Notes form.  I don't know why it doesn't work....
any ideas??

Thanks,
Ricardo.

SQL Server 7.0 and DOMINO as a LINKED SERVER

Post by Scot » Tue, 09 Jan 2001 16:14:49

Ricardo,

Do you want to give us the rest of the SQL statement.

You can select against either forms or views using the notessql stuff.

Its sounds like you might be selecting against the view instead of the
form is you are trying to use field/clumn name rather than indexes.

Regards
Scott Farrell
www.icconsulting.com.au

IC Consulting offer a range of services including e-business
consulting, CRM Analysis and Integration, network security analysis,
secured e-commerce hosting, business to business e-commerce, Internet
to business integration, ERP leverage and integration, firewall
development and installation, "TimeConnect" our Time Management ASP
and "eContentConnect" a Domino to WebSphere Integration Solution.

Quote:> I have added a Lotus Notes database as a Linked Server
> in SQL Server 7.0 using the Lotus Notes SQL 2.06 ODBC Driver.

> I can successfully add the linked server and see the tables (Notes
> Forms) from my data source but when I run a simple SQL statement
> against it, I get the following error message:

> Server: Msg 207, Level 16, State 3, Line 1
> Invalid column name 'ResourceName'.

> The field I am trying to retrieve IS the exact same name given to
> the field in my Notes form.  I don't know why it doesn't work....
> any ideas??

> Thanks,
> Ricardo.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

SQL Server 7.0 and DOMINO as a LINKED SERVER

Post by R Baron » Tue, 09 Jan 2001 17:23:49

Thanks for the reply Scott.

I realize that you can use either Forms or Views
but it appears that when using SQL Server, all
that is available are the forms (these are the only icons
that appear under the "Tables" view in SQL Enterprise
Manager.

Actually, I did some more playing around today with SQL
Server and tried to create a DTS (Data Transformation Service)
package and when I examined the completed SQL script I
noted something very odd...... It appears the Notes SQL Driver
returned the Notes Field's HELP DESCRIPTION rather than the
field name.

Example:

Say I have a field in my Notes form named 'FirstName'
and in the Help Description for this field (in design mode) I type
'Please enter the first name for this customer'.  When using
the Notes SQL driver connection with SQL Server and look
at the fields, I DO NOT see FirstName as an available field
but rather the HELP DESCRIPTION:
'Please enter the first name for this customer'

So the auto generated SQL statement looked something like:
"SELECT Please enter the first name for this customer FROM
NOTES...Resource"

As you can imagine, this won't work!!!
Why is this happening???

I created another System DSN using the Notes SQL Driver
and mapped it to another Domino database.  This one works
fine (I can use the FIELD NAMES in my query and it works).  The
only difference I can see here is that I never entered any HELP
DESCRIPTIONS for my fields.

On the original database (the one giving me the problems), I went
into a few of the fields and REMOVED the HELP DESCRIPTION
but despite that, the query STILL FAILS and gives me the following error
message.

"Server: Msg 207, Level 16, State 3, Line 1
Invalid column name 'ResourceName'."

1. How to link SQL Server 7.0 to Lotus Notes DB?

Hi y'all,

Here's the problem: when I try and see tables for a Notes Server
linked via ODBC, Enterprise Manager freezes. I also can't get info out
of a SQL query in Query Analyzer (it runs forever). However, once I've
tried to access the linked Notes DB through SQL Server in anyway, the
Notes id file is locked and doesn't unlock without a reboot.

Some background:

We have a Notes DB on a remote server. On the local server in
question, we're running SQL Server 7.0 on NT 4.0. A local Notes client
is also installed, and the user in the Notes ID file has permission to
view the password-protected Notes DB we're trying to link. NotesSQL
2.06 something is also installed.

When I created a NotesSQL system DSN using the data sources manager in
the control panel, I selected a Notes Server, and a password dialog
box popped up asking for the password belonging to the ID file, which
I entered. I also chose the DB I wanted and gave the DSN a name (so
far so good).

Then I linked to the DSN in SQL server. The only info that I put into
the Linked Server properties dialog was a name for the link, the
provider of "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers", and the
product name and data source (in both fields I put the name of the
DSN).

At this point, I can see the Notes DB listed as a linked server, but
I'm having the above problems. I should mention that when the Notes DB
in question was a local copy (replicated) of a similar DB without
password protection then everything works fine. Doing this locally is
not an option, unfortunately.

Does anyone know what's going wrong? Please respond by replying to the
newsgroup. Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Elizabeth

2. Training on ProE

3. help needed!! DECS and MS SQL Server 7.0

4. telnetd replacement logger?

5. Can we have Lotus Domino ánd MS IIS/SQL Server running on one web server machine?

6. Ada News Brief - Week Ending: - 96-03-15.txt [1/1]

7. Looking for server task which can create a multiple domain N&A from several N&A′s

8. ANSI compliance bug in Apple C compiler on OS X

9. OLE: Linking an SQL Server database to Notes

10. OLE: Linking an SQL Server Database to Notes

11. Domino 5 and Domino Decs with MS-SQL server 7

12. LN SERVER to SQL SERVER

13. Step to Migrate multiper domino server to single domino server