Should I turn on Transaction Logging ?

Should I turn on Transaction Logging ?

Post by mike.. » Wed, 22 Nov 2000 04:00:00



We've just recently upgraded to R5 and I am curious what others
experiences are with R5 Transaction Logging. Does it work and is it
worth it, or should it be avoided?

I've had a handful of experiences where users whack a database by
mistake and it would be nice to roll back the changes

Thanks
Mike

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

Should I turn on Transaction Logging ?

Post by Thom.Rosa.. » Thu, 23 Nov 2000 04:00:00


It sounds like you're looking to Transaction Logging to do something it's
not meant to do.  It's essentially a way for the server to recover from
crashes, not to act as an "undelete" functionality.

Look up "Soft Delete" in the Admin help database.

(Transaction Logging works great, BTW!)

 
 
 

Should I turn on Transaction Logging ?

Post by Robert D. Stufflebee » Fri, 24 Nov 2000 04:00:00


The only way to do this is to use archive transaction logs and a
backup/restore product the backups the transaction logs.

Don't not use archive transaction logs unless the are being backup
correctly..


> We've just recently upgraded to R5 and I am curious what others
> experiences are with R5 Transaction Logging. Does it work and is it
> worth it, or should it be avoided?

> I've had a handful of experiences where users whack a database by
> mistake and it would be nice to roll back the changes

> Thanks
> Mike

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

 
 
 

Should I turn on Transaction Logging ?

Post by Bruc » Sun, 26 Nov 2000 04:00:00


To restore a database to a point in time you also need a backup
program that works with transaction logging
 
 
 

Should I turn on Transaction Logging ?

Post by mike.. » Tue, 28 Nov 2000 04:00:00


Thanks for the reply

I'm not looking into T-Logging for an "undelete" tool only, I'm looking
into all the features/benefits/drawbacks. I like the speedy crash
recovery it offers. I would need a 3rd party backup utility to "roll
back" (I will read up on the "Soft Delete"). The R5 admin help seems to
indicate performance gains, have you noticed any?
Mike



> It sounds like you're looking to Transaction Logging to do something
it's
> not meant to do.  It's essentially a way for the server to recover
from
> crashes, not to act as an "undelete" functionality.

> Look up "Soft Delete" in the Admin help database.

> (Transaction Logging works great, BTW!)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.
 
 
 

Should I turn on Transaction Logging ?

Post by mike.. » Tue, 28 Nov 2000 04:00:00


I will heed your advice. Other than faster crash recovery is there
anything else about T-Logging that you find useful?
Mike



> The only way to do this is to use archive transaction logs and a
> backup/restore product the backups the transaction logs.

> Don't not use archive transaction logs unless the are being backup
> correctly..




Quote:> > We've just recently upgraded to R5 and I am curious what others
> > experiences are with R5 Transaction Logging. Does it work and is it
> > worth it, or should it be avoided?

> > I've had a handful of experiences where users whack a database by
> > mistake and it would be nice to roll back the changes

> > Thanks
> > Mike

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.
 
 
 

1. Transaction logging and compacting ?

Hi all,

I recently posted some questions about transaction logging. I am testing
transaction logging using a circular logging on one of our "productive"
servers.
I found out that, when you activate transaction logging on a server, the
compact process (compacting databases) is not working anymore !
When the user starts a compact session (or I do on the server), it always
returns with a 0% result (no error messages). After this I have disabled the
transaction logging, and the compacting is running again !

Is there a explanation for this ?

Greetings,

MarchaO

2. Forward declarations of classes in a namespace

3. transaction logging - who does it?

4. Seeing the Domino console through Terminal client

5. Antwort: Domino - Problems with transaction logging: Limit ignored

6. Hayes/Zoom Optima 56K business modem question.

7. Transaction log

8. FTP and MORE ???

9. Disaster recovery!!! Transaction Logs.

10. Big problems with transaction logging!!

11. Transaction logging

12. Thoughts/questions on clustering and mail/transaction logging