Default value vs. Inherit value for a field

Post by FreyG » Tue, 27 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hi all;

Body is a rich text field that has in inherited value (vis-a-vis the
Reply with History form in the 4.5.x mail template).

       When setting a default value for 'Body' rich text field in the
Reply with History form in the Notes 4.5.x mail template, the default
value that is entered it is set physically AFTER the rich text field
inherits the parent field's value.
       In other words, I have the Body field's Default Value set to
"Memo from KevFrey" (for instance). When the Reply with History form
is executed, the parent document is inherited via the default
collapsed section and the "Memo from FreyGuy" text appears directly
AFTER (or UNDER) the iherited text.

It seems that Default value is executed AFTER the Inherit is executed.
I am looking for a work around / method that will set the default
value at the 'top' of the Body (before the Inherited text).

Any help greatly appreciated...
Thanks,

Kevin Frey

Post by Molley Burg » Wed, 28 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>        In other words, I have the Body field's Default Value set to
> "Memo from KevFrey" (for instance). When the Reply with History form
> is executed, the parent document is inherited via the default
> collapsed section and the "Memo from FreyGuy" text appears directly
> AFTER (or UNDER) the iherited text.

> It seems that Default value is executed AFTER the Inherit is executed.
> I am looking for a work around / method that will set the default
> value at the 'top' of the Body (before the Inherited text).

Can you do something like this?  I'm not sure how different Rich Text
fields are to regular fields...  Anyhow, you could try this:

Put as your default value:

See if that works.  Good luck!

- MB

Check out my website: MollNet!
http://www.rit.edu/~mpb9954

Check 'em out BEFORE you waste your money!
Go to the Movie Critiquery!
http://www.rit.edu/~mpb9954/critique.htm

Post by FreyG » Wed, 28 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>>        In other words, I have the Body field's Default Value set to
>> "Memo from KevFrey" (for instance). When the Reply with History form
>> is executed, the parent document is inherited via the default
>> collapsed section and the "Memo from FreyGuy" text appears directly
>> AFTER (or UNDER) the iherited text.

>> It seems that Default value is executed AFTER the Inherit is executed.
>> I am looking for a work around / method that will set the default
>> value at the 'top' of the Body (before the Inherited text).

>Can you do something like this?  I'm not sure how different Rich Text
>fields are to regular fields...  Anyhow, you could try this:

>Put as your default value:

>See if that works.  Good luck!

>- MB

Thanks for the reply Molley;  This is the kind of simple solution for
which I'm looking, but your hesitation regarding Rich Text fields
proved to be founded.

Since the field is Rich Text, it won't evaluate (if it was a simple
Text field, no problem).

Good suggestion though... It has given me an idea to determine the
execution logic of Default value vs. Inherit value.  These two things
seem to be conflicting, but I wonder if there is a way to 'flip-flop'
the execution schedule of these two actions.

KevFrey
==============================

Post by Patricia Ladouc » Sat, 01 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
I have also been working on this body field with the reply with history
form.
What you need to use is the InsertText method of the NotesUIDocument
(the reply document). It will add the text to the field you are in :

So maybe you could add this to the queryopen in the reply with history form:

if IsNewdoc then
   Call Source.GotoField("Body")
   Call Source.InsertText( Chr$(10) & "Memo from KevFrey" & Chr$(10)  )
   Call Source.GotoField("Body")
end if

Actually, that is what they used here to add the Reply Separator in my
company.
Hope this will help.

1. Default value vs. Inherit value for a field

[...]

2. Which version of MetroNub do I need?

3. default value replacing entered value in editable field

4. STR# resources

5. editable date field imediately inherit a value from a previous editable date field

6. Internet Adventurer - very promising...

7. Change the value of one field based on the value of another field

8. Remote Administration...

9. Inheriting Field values!

10. Inheriting field values into responses from the main doc.

11. Inheriting field values from main documents to reponse documents

12. HELP - Inheriting Field Values from parent documents

13. Inherited fields in response doc. loose their values on refresh/save ??!?