Exporting to Excel2K

Post by Mike » Sat, 14 Dec 2002 01:29:54

When exporting to excel2K from access2K, I've noticed my text fields are
acquiring a ' character in front of the actual data.
This disappears during a re-import.

Any idea what this is from and how to get rid of it or not create it?

Exporting to Excel2K

Post by Ken Snel » Sat, 14 Dec 2002 14:15:11

The initial apostrophe is one way that spreadsheet programs "identify"
numbers as being text, not numeric. It's nothing to be concerned with in
terms of EXCEL properly showing/knowing the values in those cells.

--
Hoping that this is helpful...
       Ken Snell

Quote:> When exporting to excel2K from access2K, I've noticed my text fields are
> acquiring a ' character in front of the actual data.
> This disappears during a re-import.

> Any idea what this is from and how to get rid of it or not create it?

Exporting to Excel2K

Post by Mike » Thu, 19 Dec 2002 01:15:58

I think I've answered and fixed my own problem.
What I'd noticed is that when sorting the exported table within Excel,
the default sort function differentiated between a value of '1 and 1.

Looking at this, the problem is obvious.  I've saved a number as a text
field which I have since changed within Access2k.  Sorting text fields
in Excel does not have this issue.

> The initial apostrophe is one way that spreadsheet programs "identify"
> numbers as being text, not numeric. It's nothing to be concerned with in
> terms of EXCEL properly showing/knowing the values in those cells.

Exporting to Excel2K

Post by Ken Snel » Thu, 19 Dec 2002 02:50:36

Glad to hear you found a solution!

--
Hoping that this is helpful...
       Ken Snell

> I think I've answered and fixed my own problem.
> What I'd noticed is that when sorting the exported table within Excel,
> the default sort function differentiated between a value of '1 and 1.

> Looking at this, the problem is obvious.  I've saved a number as a text
> field which I have since changed within Access2k.  Sorting text fields
> in Excel does not have this issue.

> > The initial apostrophe is one way that spreadsheet programs "identify"
> > numbers as being text, not numeric. It's nothing to be concerned with in
> > terms of EXCEL properly showing/knowing the values in those cells.

1. EXPORTING FROM ACC2K TO EXCEL2k ERRORS

The error we receive when attempting to export from Access
to Excel is that the database could not be found. This
happens when we try to export within the same folder on a
shared drive.  This doesn't happen to every user however.
What could the problem be in relation to?

2. Form_Current re-firing before the first iteration has finished.

3. ExcelXP cannot find Excel2K opjects

4. Run Excel Macro from Access

5. Ref errors in Excel2k

6. Slow response opening attachment in Outlook 2002

7. Excel2k, Custom Function category ???

8. Sorting of data in a sheet by more than 3 columns

9. Program to size Excel2K to all Monitor Sizes

10. Excel 97 Vs Excel2K Code does not run......

11. refering to text cells with excel2k

12. Excel97 vs. Excel2K

13. Excel2k files cause ExcelXP to crash