Review: WriteRight Screen Enhancements from Concept Kitchen

Review: WriteRight Screen Enhancements from Concept Kitchen

Post by Justin Mecha » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Earlier today I received my order from BuyComp containing the WriteRight
Screen Enhancements by Concept Kitchen.  I was pleased they had finally
arrived after about a week and a half of waiting.  Making purchases by money
order usually ends up in a rather large wait period!  Here are my first
impressions of the WriteRights...

5:20 -  Pulled WriteRight container from the box BuyComp sent

5:21  -  Opened container discovering that is the same style container that
DVD discs are packaged in.  Even has a CD-looking piece of cardboard in the
CD holder outlining how to install a WriteRight.

5:22 -  Read over instructions and pulled out my PalmPilot, cleaning the
screen with a soft lens cloth.

5:23 to 5:27 -  Applied the WriteRight to my screen trying my best to keep
it aligned and air bubble free.  Used the credit-card sized squeegee
included with the product to finish it off.  In the process of applying the
WriteRight, two particles of dust became attached to the sticky side of the
WriteRight.  I also had quite a few air bubblesin the graffiti area.  These
defects are not visible while looking straight at the screen, but by turning
the PalmPilot slightly you can see them.  Wondering if they will affect my
graffiti entry.

5:28  -  Turned my PalmPilot on and wrote a few things in Memo Pad.  Makes
funny noises while dragging the stylus across the screen.  Nothing major.
Tried writing where the air bubbles were to find that they did not affect my
writing at all.  I did notice it was a little bit harder to read the screen.
The film seems to "lighten" what is being displayed.  Turned on backlight
and could not tell any difference from when I did not have a WriteRight
applied.

5:57  -  After playing with my PalmPilot for a little while, I was used to
writing with the film on it.  Feels much more natural, like the box says it
would.  Overall I think I am pleased with the enhancement.

Perhaps my next attempt to apply the WriteRight will be a tad more
successful.  Although the visible defects from the air bubbles and particles
are not function-impairing, they are a little annoying to look at.

PROS  -  Enhances the feel of writing on the screen, reduces glare, and
protects from scratches.

CONS  -  Difficult to apply properly.

By the way, how do you remove these things without damaging the screen?  I
found no instructions with the product packaging.

My overall rating of this product is 7 (on a scale of 1 to 10).

Justin Mecham (aka MrOpie)

P.S. Let me know what you think of this review.  Perhaps I will write more
like it!

Post by Henri H. Arsenau » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> By the way, how do you remove these things without damaging the screen?  I
> found no instructions with the product packaging.

Geez, I dunno, I still have the first Writeright strip I put on three
months ago. I just clean it with a damp cloth once in  a while and it
becomes like new.

I suppose you could slip a fingernail under an edge, then peel it off.

Henri

Review: WriteRight Screen Enhancements from Concept Kitchen

Post by D.- » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I was able to get a hold of a few sample WriteRights.  I gave up on them
after going through 5 of them until I got one applied perfectly.  I
would get some dust particles under the adhesive, I would have some air
bubbles, it made the screen harder to read, etc.

I don't like their writerights, but I love their brain wash product.
--
Web Course Developer
Virtual College

http://www.fhsu.edu/ctc/dave
My employer is not responsible for the content of this message

Review: WriteRight Screen Enhancements from Concept Kitchen

Post by Scott Advan » Fri, 13 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I purchased the WriteRights, and I've pretty wells stopped using them.
The contrast on the PalmPilot Personal is difficult enough to see
without the added interference of the WriteRight cover.  I found it was
pretty easy to figure out how to get the thing on without too many
bubbles in it (my best one so far had one small bubble near the top).

I ended up purchaing one of the Cross pens with a Pilot insert, instead.
The pen has a really nice heft to it, and is very comfortable to use.  I
make better progress with that than with the WriteRight's.

Some may like the WriteRights, but I'm not going to be buying any more.

 -= Scott =-

> I was able to get a hold of a few sample WriteRights.  I gave up on them
> after going through 5 of them until I got one applied perfectly.  I
> would get some dust particles under the adhesive, I would have some air
> bubbles, it made the screen harder to read, etc.

> I don't like their writerights, but I love their brain wash product.
> --
> Web Course Developer
> Virtual College
> Fort Hays State University

> http://www.fhsu.edu/ctc/dave
> My employer is not responsible for the content of this message

Review: WriteRight Screen Enhancements from Concept Kitchen

Post by Bill In » Fri, 13 Nov 1998 04:00:00

...Never leave home without 'em (Write Right).

I got a bunch as a way for the salesguy to reel me into the sale.  However,
I've heard that clear thin vinyl cupboard liners from the local hardware
store (same sorta sticky stuff as the writerights) works just as effectively
and is ten times cheaper.  There's also a similar product available at art
stores.

I keem my PP Pro in the 3com leather belt case all the time* off of
my belt when not in use.  I guess that's part of the reason why the
writeright stuff's lasted over a month so far.  Application becomes easier
over time, as was the case with my girlfriend's P3.

I gave up on the little plastic stylus that came with the PP Pro and went
with PDAPanache's Nail.  It's weighted quite nicely (looks just like a real
nail with a plastic flourescent orangey tip on it and fits perfectly in the
stylus holder).

I've got a few coworkers convinced that they should dump their old plastic
stylii and go with the Nail too.  The Cross digital writers and anything
else that is the same size as a regular pen feel good to write with but
aren't as good as the Nail's stylus holder dimensions.

 Cheers

Co-workers

Review: WriteRight Screen Enhancements from Concept Kitchen

Post by SHOO » Fri, 13 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi Palmateers!

If there is anyone out there who has some  WriteRight screen enhancements left
over that they don't intend to use anymore please let me know. I'd be happy to
take them off your hands. I am trying to sample as many different products that
do what the WriteRights do in order to see who has the "best" IMHO ! Drop me an
email if you feel like unloading any you don't want into my snailmailbox!
Shooey

Post by IndexVie » Fri, 13 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> Hi Palmateers!

> If there is anyone out there who has some  WriteRight screen enhancements left
> over that they don't intend to use anymore please let me know. I'd be happy to
> take them off your hands. I am trying to sample as many different products that
> do what the WriteRights do in order to see who has the "best" IMHO ! Drop me an

What other products have you found that do what WriteRrights do?

Steve

--
 |\    /

 |  \/

Review: WriteRight Screen Enhancements from Concept Kitchen

Post by JMakows » Sat, 14 Nov 1998 04:00:00

My coworker and I both like the Nail as well, for our PalmIII's.  The
size and weight are perfect and it glides smoothly over the trimmed
down 3M Post-it Note Tabs we use over the writing areas (as suggested
by someone someplace).

However, regarding it's dimensions for the holder, neither of us kept
the Nail in the stylus holder longer than a week of usage.  The Nail
was too large at the non-writing end to fit comfortably inthe holder.
It normally stuck in the holder so tightly that we would have to use
teeth or something to remove the Nail from the holder, which defeated
the purpose.  So it's back to the regular stylus for us, unless we're
sitting at our desks.

Jim

Quote:>...Never leave home without 'em (Write Right).

>I got a bunch as a way for the salesguy to reel me into the sale.  However,
>I've heard that clear thin vinyl cupboard liners from the local hardware
>store (same sorta sticky stuff as the writerights) works just as effectively
>and is ten times cheaper.  There's also a similar product available at art
>stores.

>I keem my PP Pro in the 3com leather belt case all the time* off of
>my belt when not in use.  I guess that's part of the reason why the
>writeright stuff's lasted over a month so far.  Application becomes easier
>over time, as was the case with my girlfriend's P3.

>I gave up on the little plastic stylus that came with the PP Pro and went
>with PDAPanache's Nail.  It's weighted quite nicely (looks just like a real
>nail with a plastic flourescent orangey tip on it and fits perfectly in the
>stylus holder).

>I've got a few coworkers convinced that they should dump their old plastic
>stylii and go with the Nail too.  The Cross digital writers and anything
>else that is the same size as a regular pen feel good to write with but
>aren't as good as the Nail's stylus holder dimensions.

> Cheers

>Co-workers

Review: WriteRight Screen Enhancements from Concept Kitchen

Post by Mick Simo » Sun, 15 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Are you certain that your *nails* are for the P3 and not PPro?

>My coworker and I both like the Nail as well, for our PalmIII's.  The
>size and weight are perfect and it glides smoothly over the trimmed
>down 3M Post-it Note Tabs we use over the writing areas (as suggested
>by someone someplace).

>However, regarding it's dimensions for the holder, neither of us kept
>the Nail in the stylus holder longer than a week of usage.  The Nail
>was too large at the non-writing end to fit comfortably inthe holder.
>It normally stuck in the holder so tightly that we would have to use
>teeth or something to remove the Nail from the holder, which defeated
>the purpose.  So it's back to the regular stylus for us, unless we're
>sitting at our desks.

>Jim

>>...Never leave home without 'em (Write Right).

>>I got a bunch as a way for the salesguy to reel me into the sale.
However,
>>I've heard that clear thin vinyl cupboard liners from the local hardware
>>store (same sorta sticky stuff as the writerights) works just as
effectively
>>and is ten times cheaper.  There's also a similar product available at art
>>stores.

>>I keem my PP Pro in the 3com leather belt case all the time* off of
>>my belt when not in use.  I guess that's part of the reason why the
>>writeright stuff's lasted over a month so far.  Application becomes easier
>>over time, as was the case with my girlfriend's P3.

>>I gave up on the little plastic stylus that came with the PP Pro and went
>>with PDAPanache's Nail.  It's weighted quite nicely (looks just like a
real
>>nail with a plastic flourescent orangey tip on it and fits perfectly in
the
>>stylus holder).

>>I've got a few coworkers convinced that they should dump their old plastic
>>stylii and go with the Nail too.  The Cross digital writers and anything
>>else that is the same size as a regular pen feel good to write with but
>>aren't as good as the Nail's stylus holder dimensions.

>> Cheers

>>Co-workers

Review: WriteRight Screen Enhancements from Concept Kitchen

Post by Lawrence Che » Tue, 17 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Give it time.....in typical PDApanache stylus....over time it makes the holder
wider and wider, until the stylus will more freely....and eventually be able
to fall out on its own.

I had the same problem when I had the Newton...in the first week, it made the
holder bigger so that it would nolonger hold the stock stylus....now it falls
out easily.

My P3 Nail goes all the way in easily now on my P3....so it'll be a matter of
time that I'll reach of it and find it had fallen out somewhere.

Though these days the annoying thing is when I pull it out and only the top
comes out, because it has unscrewed itself while in the holder.

--

     2715 Tuller Parkway               URL: http://www.veryComputer.com/
     Dublin, OH  43017        Currently at: OpenText, BASIS Div.  614-761-7449

Post by who knows.. » Wed, 18 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> > Hi Palmateers!

> > If there is anyone out there who has some  WriteRight screen enhancements left
> > over that they don't intend to use anymore please let me know. I'd be happy to
> > take them off your hands. I am trying to sample as many different products that
> > do what the WriteRights do in order to see who has the "best" IMHO ! Drop me an

> What other products have you found that do what WriteRrights do?

Scotch 811 tape ?

bla...

--
Remove the fancy "NOSPAM" in the header when sending e-mail.
Note: People who are sending uninvited solicitations by email to me

1. Damaged Writerights from Concept Kitchen

If anyone has recently received Writeright screen enhancements that have
been damaged from the fact that they ship in a CDROM case (what were
they thinking?), you can call them at 1.415.929.1002 and they'll send
you replacements for the damaged portion.  I must say I'm impressed with
the speed and friendliness of their customer support.

----------------------
Please remove NOSPAM from email address when replying

Alex Tatistcheff

2. How to insert images in the dropdown toolbar button menu items in VB.

3. SPUG reviews Concept Kitchen's Bumper Case

4. Linear Frame Buffer

5. Question about WriteRight Screen Enhancement

6. what about Sun's Java?

7. uploading using cute ftp

8. WriteRight Screen Enhancement

9. Buying Experience at Concept Kitchen !!!

10. ANN - Concept Kitchen product discounts

11. Visit Concept Kitchen & PDA Dash at Comdex