How difficfult is writing a Palm OS programme?

How difficfult is writing a Palm OS programme?

Post by IL » Wed, 04 Oct 2000 04:00:00



I have a great idea for develloping a Palm-application, but I have no
programming experience.

1) How long does it take to learn Palm-programming (I'm not a complete
idiot...)
2) Where can I find resources etc.?

Ivan Lietaert
Belgium

 
 
 

How difficfult is writing a Palm OS programme?

Post by Oscar Kin » Wed, 04 Oct 2000 04:00:00



> I have a great idea for develloping a Palm-application, but I have no
> programming experience.
> 1) How long does it take to learn Palm-programming (I'm not a complete
> idiot...)

About the same time it takes to learn C. From scratch, this can take every
evening of a full month, but by then you'll be able to write complete,
non-trivial programs. At the same time, learn about event-driven programming.

Quote:> 2) Where can I find resources etc.?

http://www.massena.com/darrin/pilot/

http://www.palmos.com/dev/tech/docs/palmos/CompanionTOC.html
(or more general: http://www.palmos.com/dev/)

http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/groups/pilot/doc/pptdg/TableOfContents.htm

http://nyip.net/~dan/palmos/

Oscar

--
   ,-_  Nothing hurts a new truth more than an old error.                  
  /() )                                                                    
 (__ (   -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe                                      
=/  ()                                                                      

    My PGP key is available via keyserver & email (subject: get pgp key)

 
 
 

How difficfult is writing a Palm OS programme?

Post by Mark » Wed, 04 Oct 2000 04:00:00


If you don't want to learn C, there are several visual basic type languages
that are easy to learn and quite powerful.
My favorite is CASL (www.caslsoft.com) which I have used for several years.
I originally started using it because I could get up to speed quickly. After
two years I haven't run out of power yet. It has a built in database (with
ODBC connectivity coming soon), a very nice desktop development environment
(with editor, emulator, and de*), and lots of pre-defined objects.

You can run it with a p-code emulator or compile it to C code (and add
external C routines).

/Mark


Quote:> I have a great idea for develloping a Palm-application, but I have no
> programming experience.

> 1) How long does it take to learn Palm-programming (I'm not a complete
> idiot...)
> 2) Where can I find resources etc.?

> Ivan Lietaert
> Belgium

 
 
 

How difficfult is writing a Palm OS programme?

Post by Jan Exne » Wed, 04 Oct 2000 04:00:00



> 1) How long does it take to learn Palm-programming (I'm not a
>    complete idiot...)
> 2) Where can I find resources etc.?

If you are going to do it using C, buy CodeWarrior and understand the
examples. That gives you a good start.

Do a small program first, something else, to learn how to handle your
little beast.

--

 
 
 

How difficfult is writing a Palm OS programme?

Post by Harvey Louzo » Wed, 04 Oct 2000 04:00:00



Quote:>1) How long does it take to learn Palm-programming (I'm not a complete
> idiot...)

Get the book "Palm OS programming for dummies" (idiots).

h

 
 
 

How difficfult is writing a Palm OS programme?

Post by Daniel Jame » Thu, 05 Oct 2000 04:00:00



> 1) How long does it take to learn Palm-programming (I'm not a complete
> idiot...)

If you were a complete idiot you wouldn't be able to do it at all. If
you're a competent C programmer the new Palm-specific concepts should
become familiar after a week or so.

Quote:> 2) Where can I find resources etc.?

A good starting point is the book "Palm Programming - the developer's
guide" by O'Reilley press. The text of the book is available on the
O'Reilley website, but it's worth buying in hardcopy for the CD-full of
tools that comes with it.

Cheers,
 Daniel.

 
 
 

How difficfult is writing a Palm OS programme?

Post by Warren Youn » Fri, 06 Oct 2000 04:00:00



> I have a great idea for develloping a Palm-application, but I have no
> programming experience.

> 1) How long does it take to learn Palm-programming (I'm not a complete
> idiot...)
> 2) Where can I find resources etc.?

I just finished writing a program for the Palm.  Start to finish, it
took me almost exactly one month of weekend hacking -- probably 60 hours
total work.  From this, I can tell you that programming for the Palm is
not much tougher than programming for Windows or programming for Unix.

The trick in your case is learning to program, period.  I suggest
starting programming for Windows or Linux or something like that, simply
because programming for the Palm has rough spots: for one thing, you're
not writing and debugging on the same machine.  For another, programming
for the Palm requires that you be a little more careful than you might
when programming for a "full size" computer.

Once you learn to program your main computer, you can think about
transitioning to the Palm.
--
= Warren Young, creator of f/Calc, a photographer's calculator:
=     http://www.*port.com/~tangent/photo/fcalc/
=
= ICBM Address: 36.8274040 N, 108.0204086 W, alt. 1714m

 
 
 

How difficfult is writing a Palm OS programme?

Post by Kjell Are Refsv » Fri, 06 Oct 2000 04:00:00




> > I have a great idea for develloping a Palm-application, but I have no
> > programming experience.

> > 1) How long does it take to learn Palm-programming (I'm not a complete
> > idiot...)

> About the same time it takes to learn C. From scratch, this can take every
> evening of a full month, but by then you'll be able to write complete,
> non-trivial programs. At the same time, learn about event-driven programming.

You must be joking, right?

For most people not familiar with syntax/semantics of C, it will surely
take them far more than every evening of a full month if
(evening=5hrs*31days=155hrs). Finding suitable litterature and software,
setting this up, getting it to work, and understanding the concept of C
will for most people take far more than 150hrs?

I spent a 5 unit course at college and a semester to just C.

I think you might want to multiply that with 3-5.

Sincerely

Kjell Are Refsvik

PHYSICAL<----------------------------------------------------->VIRTUAL

Project Manager - Multimedia                     http://valhall.hil.no
Centre for Continuing Education                   Tel: +47 61 28 82 34
Lillehammer College, Norway                       Fax: +47 61 28 82 00

 
 
 

How difficfult is writing a Palm OS programme?

Post by Oscar Kin » Fri, 06 Oct 2000 04:00:00



Quote:> For most people not familiar with syntax/semantics of C, it will surely
> take them far more than every evening of a full month if
> (evening=5hrs*31days=155hrs). Finding suitable litterature and software,
> setting this up, getting it to work, and understanding the concept of C
> will for most people take far more than 150hrs?
> I spent a 5 unit course at college and a semester to just C.

When I learned programming at the university, There was a 4 studypoint
course (i.e. 4x40=160 hours work) to learn programming. It didn't teach
anything fancy, such as using pointers or creating your own include files;
that was another 4 studypoint course. The course to learn programming at a
commercial scale (in teams) and it's practical assignment are another 8
studypoints.

So, you're correct when you're thinking about becoming a good programmer.
But since it's much more fun to learn along the way (my personal opinion),
I think that the basic's are good enough for starters. In other words: the
initial 4-point course.

--
   ,-_  "The more laws, the less justice."                                  
  /() )                                                                    
 (__ (   -- Marcus Cicero - "De Officiis" (44 B.C.)                        
=/  ()                                                                      

    My PGP key is available via keyserver & email (subject: get pgp key)

 
 
 

How difficfult is writing a Palm OS programme?

Post by Kevi » Fri, 06 Oct 2000 04:00:00



Quote:>> About the same time it takes to learn C. From scratch, this can take every
>> evening of a full month, but by then you'll be able to write complete,
>> non-trivial programs. At the same time, learn about event-driven programming.
> You must be joking, right?

Hey, that's how long it took me.

I learned C when I was in 8th Grade.  I had done Basic and I knew C was
the "big thing" so I found a book by O'Reilly & Associates called
"Practical C Programming".  It was at the local computer fair and it was
just $5.  I still use it -- in fact it's sitting on the shelf here in my
cube at a prominent high-tech company, where I work as a C programmer.

The book is excellent (anything by O'Reilly is excellent) and had me up to
speed in no time.  Not only that, I was soon teaching others!

--
Kevin

 
 
 

How difficfult is writing a Palm OS programme?

Post by Mark » Fri, 06 Oct 2000 04:00:00


If you just want to write Palm programs (and not make a career as a C
programmer), I recommend you use CASL (www.caslsoft.com). It's a visual
object oriented programming language that is very easy to learn and use.

I completed my first program with it in a week (not a trivial program but
one that used several databases, 10 screens and quite a bit of background
logic.)

It comes with a nice development environment including editor, desktop
emulator, and de*. Supports databases, serial and IR I/O (including
network).

It's weak in graphics so probably not suitable for game development but
strong in all other areas.

/mark
Disclaimer: no financial connection with company, just a satisfied user

 
 
 

How difficfult is writing a Palm OS programme?

Post by IL » Fri, 06 Oct 2000 04:00:00


Thank you for all your replies,
My conclusion - for the moment - is that programming is quite
time-consuming, and I'd better leave it to the professionals, adding to this
the fact there's little or no gain in writing a just *one* Palm-programme...

(Don't get me wrong, I'm adore my Palm, but programming is way out of my
business)

I'd rather give away my 'brilliant idea' to some experienced
Palm-programmer, and wait for him/her to develop and commercialize the
product.
(Anybody out there interested? Don't hesitate to contact me!)

Kind regards,
Ivan Lietaert



Quote:> I have a great idea for develloping a Palm-application, but I have no
> programming experience.

> 1) How long does it take to learn Palm-programming (I'm not a complete
> idiot...)
> 2) Where can I find resources etc.?

> Ivan Lietaert
> Belgium

 
 
 

How difficfult is writing a Palm OS programme?

Post by Stephen Gilm » Fri, 06 Oct 2000 04:00:00


So I could use this to create the RPG Character Sheet software I keep
harping on about?  How much does CASL cost?


> If you just want to write Palm programs (and not make a career as a C
> programmer), I recommend you use CASL (www.caslsoft.com). It's a visual
> object oriented programming language that is very easy to learn and use.

> I completed my first program with it in a week (not a trivial program but
> one that used several databases, 10 screens and quite a bit of background
> logic.)

> It comes with a nice development environment including editor, desktop
> emulator, and de*. Supports databases, serial and IR I/O (including
> network).

> It's weak in graphics so probably not suitable for game development but
> strong in all other areas.

> /mark
> Disclaimer: no financial connection with company, just a satisfied user

--
Name: Stephen R. Gilman                   "Recoiling in disgust is      |

Web: www.ncf.ca/~ao668                                        - Slacker |
=========================================================================
 
 
 

How difficfult is writing a Palm OS programme?

Post by Sylvain.B.. » Fri, 06 Oct 2000 04:00:00


ANSI C is one thing, and event oriented programmation, with locks on parts of memory,
and so on, is very trickier to learn, moreover if you do not have the good
programming habits...


> >> About the same time it takes to learn C. From scratch, this can take every
> >> evening of a full month, but by then you'll be able to write complete,
> >> non-trivial programs. At the same time, learn about event-driven programming.

> > You must be joking, right?

> Hey, that's how long it took me.

> I learned C when I was in 8th Grade.  I had done Basic and I knew C was
> the "big thing" so I found a book by O'Reilly & Associates called
> "Practical C Programming".  It was at the local computer fair and it was
> just $5.  I still use it -- in fact it's sitting on the shelf here in my
> cube at a prominent high-tech company, where I work as a C programmer.

> The book is excellent (anything by O'Reilly is excellent) and had me up to
> speed in no time.  Not only that, I was soon teaching others!

> --
> Kevin

--

                                        Sylvain Baro

 
 
 

How difficfult is writing a Palm OS programme?

Post by Kevi » Fri, 06 Oct 2000 04:00:00



> ANSI C is one thing, and event oriented programmation, with locks on parts of memory,
> and so on, is very trickier to learn, moreover if you do not have the good
> programming habits...

Yeah, I guess that's true.  I'm the kind of guy who learns this stuff a
LOT better on my own than by taking a course.  I picked up Applesoft BASIC
for the Apple ][ by reading a book (3 years before I actually got the
Apple ][... :), I learned C by reading a book and buying the compiler used
from a consultant/programmer who upgraded, etc.  I developed an
understanding of programming concepts through all that.

My experience with real-time systems and event-driven programming didn't
come until University, but even then, I found myself reading the textbook
and not attending lectures because the lectures were an absolute waste of
time.

Real-time stuff is so much more interesting than plain old programming,
but it's also a heck of a lot more difficult!  So I concede your point..
:)

--
Kevin