Palm OS v3.3 beta

Post by PalmV Gu » Tue, 14 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi all,

Someone e-mailed me what seems to be a beta release of the PalmOS 3.3
flash upgrade.

I'm wondering if I should install this or not.  If problems occur, could
my flash be fried?

Plus, when the official 3.3 version is released, would I be able to
simply overwrite the beta version if it's installed?

I know how to use my PalmV inside-out... but when it comes to the
hardware and file system specifics, I'm a little rusty.

I know a lot of people in this newsgroup like to make educated
guesses... and that's cool with me - but before you send a reply, please
check and make sure your message notes that it's a guess, not a fact.
I'm not a stickler about that... but I've noticed some are.

Thanks!

/PalmV Guy

Palm OS v3.3 beta

Post by Leon Taylo » Tue, 14 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I'd check the 3Com web site.  If the file is located there, I'd be much more
likely to use it.  Without knowing everything about the upgrade, it's kind
of silly to even consider risking anything important.  Just my two cents

> Hi all,

> Someone e-mailed me what seems to be a beta release of the PalmOS 3.3
> flash upgrade.

> I'm wondering if I should install this or not.  If problems occur, could
> my flash be fried?

> Plus, when the official 3.3 version is released, would I be able to
> simply overwrite the beta version if it's installed?

> I know how to use my PalmV inside-out... but when it comes to the
> hardware and file system specifics, I'm a little rusty.

> I know a lot of people in this newsgroup like to make educated
> guesses... and that's cool with me - but before you send a reply, please
> check and make sure your message notes that it's a guess, not a fact.
> I'm not a stickler about that... but I've noticed some are.

> Thanks!

> /PalmV Guy

Palm OS v3.3 beta

Post by Steve » Tue, 14 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi, Guy,

-not guess-
I can't remember if you're a FlashPro user.  The FlashPro people have
already said that their current version 1.05 is *not* 3.3 compatible, but
that a 3.3 compatible version will be provided before the general release of
3.3.  So don't try it if you've got FlashPro.

-guess-
Yes, I think it might fry your Flash, you could end up with a dead machine.
Have you got the tools and know-how to recover from that situation?  If you
have the full specs on 3.3 including the features, take a look and see if
there's anything in there you couldn't live without.  My guess is that you'd
find you can manage on 3.1 for the time being.  Also, how reliant are you on
the Palm?  A good rule of thumb is never run beta on a production machine.

Unless you're actually part of a beta test team, I see no advantage in
running a beta version other than the dubious advantage of getting new
features a month or two earlier.

My .02, YMMV :)

Cheers
Steve

>Hi all,

>Someone e-mailed me what seems to be a beta release of the PalmOS 3.3
>flash upgrade.

>I'm wondering if I should install this or not.  If problems occur, could
>my flash be fried?

>Plus, when the official 3.3 version is released, would I be able to
>simply overwrite the beta version if it's installed?

>I know how to use my PalmV inside-out... but when it comes to the
>hardware and file system specifics, I'm a little rusty.

>I know a lot of people in this newsgroup like to make educated
>guesses... and that's cool with me - but before you send a reply, please
>check and make sure your message notes that it's a guess, not a fact.
>I'm not a stickler about that... but I've noticed some are.

>Thanks!

>/PalmV Guy

Palm OS v3.3 beta

Post by PalmV Gu » Tue, 14 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Thanks, Steve!  I had a feeling you'd be the first to offer some
insight!

No I never installed FlashPro.  Whenever I try and learn something, I
always learn by breaking it first ;)  And since FlashPro can cause
*permanent* damage to my PalmV, I don't want it to die... because then
I'd just be "Guy" until the PalmV gets fixed!

No, I'm not a beta tester.  Got the update from a friend who has a
friend who has a friend, etc.

All I've heard is that the new update will have the Euro symbol, as well
as an improved/quicker hotsynch (note I said *heard* not *seen*).

I've also *heard* that the installer zaps all info on the Palm, applies
the flash patch, then reloads everything that was zapped.

There are supposed to be a bunch of other updates.  I saw a thread a
while back the size of Texas that listed many features all of us in the
NG were looking forward to seeing.  They sounded real cool (especially
the feature that boosts the IR signal a tad higher, allowing us to
control satellite transmissions!)

I think I'll leave 3.1.1 on my PV for now... and wait for the official
3.3 release.

What's the legality of e-mailing the beta to someone else?  When I got
the e-mail I thought it was a little shady... since it is not a public
release.  I'm curious about that.

/PalmV Guy

> Hi, Guy,

> -not guess-
> I can't remember if you're a FlashPro user.  The FlashPro people have
> already said that their current version 1.05 is *not* 3.3 compatible, but
> that a 3.3 compatible version will be provided before the general release of
> 3.3.  So don't try it if you've got FlashPro.

> -guess-
> Yes, I think it might fry your Flash, you could end up with a dead machine.
> Have you got the tools and know-how to recover from that situation?  If you
> have the full specs on 3.3 including the features, take a look and see if
> there's anything in there you couldn't live without.  My guess is that you'd
> find you can manage on 3.1 for the time being.  Also, how reliant are you on
> the Palm?  A good rule of thumb is never run beta on a production machine.

> Unless you're actually part of a beta test team, I see no advantage in
> running a beta version other than the dubious advantage of getting new
> features a month or two earlier.

> My .02, YMMV :)

> Cheers
> Steve

> >Hi all,

> >Someone e-mailed me what seems to be a beta release of the PalmOS 3.3
> >flash upgrade.

> >I'm wondering if I should install this or not.  If problems occur, could
> >my flash be fried?

> >Plus, when the official 3.3 version is released, would I be able to
> >simply overwrite the beta version if it's installed?

> >I know how to use my PalmV inside-out... but when it comes to the
> >hardware and file system specifics, I'm a little rusty.

> >I know a lot of people in this newsgroup like to make educated
> >guesses... and that's cool with me - but before you send a reply, please
> >check and make sure your message notes that it's a guess, not a fact.
> >I'm not a stickler about that... but I've noticed some are.

> >Thanks!

> >/PalmV Guy

Palm OS v3.3 beta

Post by Steve » Tue, 14 Sep 1999 04:00:00

>Thanks, Steve!  I had a feeling you'd be the first to offer some
>insight!

I gotta start pacing myself...

Quote:

>What's the legality of e-mailing the beta to someone else?  When I got
>the e-mail I thought it was a little shady... since it is not a public
>release.  I'm curious about that.

Well, someone a the beginning of the chain broke their non-disclosure
agreement, so that's one problem.  The software is the copyright of 3Com
(well, Palm, whatever) technically you have a "bootleg" copy of their
property.  In your shoes I  wouldn't forward it any further.  IMHO, YMMV,
and all that good stuff.

Cheers

Palm OS v3.3 beta

Post by Iain Bennet » Tue, 14 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Anyone know when OS 3.3 is due out?

Quote:> Hi all,

> Someone e-mailed me what seems to be a beta release of the PalmOS 3.3
> flash upgrade.

> I'm wondering if I should install this or not.  If problems occur, could
> my flash be fried?

> Plus, when the official 3.3 version is released, would I be able to
> simply overwrite the beta version if it's installed?

> I know how to use my PalmV inside-out... but when it comes to the
> hardware and file system specifics, I'm a little rusty.

> I know a lot of people in this newsgroup like to make educated
> guesses... and that's cool with me - but before you send a reply, please
> check and make sure your message notes that it's a guess, not a fact.
> I'm not a stickler about that... but I've noticed some are.

> Thanks!

> /PalmV Guy

Palm OS v3.3 beta

Post by Matthew Haig » Tue, 14 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Well, someone a the beginning of the chain broke their non-disclosure
>agreement, so that's one problem.  The software is the copyright of 3Com
>(well, Palm, whatever) technically you have a "bootleg" copy of their
>property.  In your shoes I  wouldn't forward it any further.  IMHO, YMMV,
>and all that good stuff.

This is also the best reason not to install it - imagine going to 3Com
asking them to fix your fried Palm (assuming the flash failed),  and
then explaining how you got hold of a pre-release beta of the OS...

(Not that I'd expect the full release to fail, but this _is_ a beta, and
one of dubious origin at that - who knows who's had a bit of a hack at
it?)

Matt
--

SMSMaster V2.11-- text messaging for mobiles/pagers.
Go to http://www.gcrsoft.com to download a trial copy!

Palm OS v3.3 beta

Post by Dominique Piva » Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> What's the legality of e-mailing the beta to someone else?  When I got
> the e-mail I thought it was a little shady... since it is not a public
> release.  I'm curious about that.

I'm not a lawyer (thanks god!), but I know that beta testers are often
required to sign a non-disclosure agreement. I'm not aware of 3Com's
way of handling things.

Palm OS v3.3 beta

Post by Greg Conque » Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:00:00

<snip>

Quote:>There are supposed to be a bunch of other updates.  I saw a thread a
>while back the size of Texas that listed many features all of us in the
>NG were looking forward to seeing.  They sounded real cool (especially
>the feature that boosts the IR signal a tad higher, allowing us to
>control satellite transmissions!)

Could someone post this list here, please.

I'm wondering how Palm updates the OS without stepping on the toes of
independent developers. For instance, I'd like to get an improved
Datebook, and I'd like this as part of the OS (in the flash rom, I
suppose.) Incuding this as pat of the OS would make Palm OS devices
more useful, but the creators of DateBook 3 would lose out since
nobody would have to buy their improved datebook.

How does Palm handle this?

Thanks,
Greg
-hoping datebook 3 is licensed into Palm OS 3.3

Palm OS v3.3 beta

Post by Erwin Schombur » Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> --snip

> Thanks,
> Greg
> -hoping datebook 3 is licensed into Palm OS 3.3

No. But according to the author it is licensed to HandSpring, though in a
slightly feature reduced version.

/Erwin

Palm OS v3.3 beta

Post by 1wo.. » Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:00:00

<snip>

Quote:

>All I've heard is that the new update will have the Euro symbol, as well
>as an improved/quicker hotsynch (note I said *heard* not *seen*).

<snip>

I wonder if this is the same improved, faster hotsynch the
Handspring folks are talking about.

--
Allan
Remove "excess." from address for direct replies.

Palm OS v3.3 beta

Post by Erwin Schombur » Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Don't know if its the same, but it offloads, i.e. completely backs up an up
to the gills xtra xtra (~7.5Meg) in under 30 minutes, if the desktop
processor and the cable connections are up to it.

/Erwin

> <snip>

> >All I've heard is that the new update will have the Euro symbol, as well
> >as an improved/quicker hotsynch (note I said *heard* not *seen*).
> <snip>

> I wonder if this is the same improved, faster hotsynch the
> Handspring folks are talking about.

> --
> Allan
> Remove "excess." from address for direct replies.

Palm OS v3.3 beta

Post by gary conra » Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:00:00

what is the current estimate of the official release date of 3.3?

Palm OS v3.3 beta

Post by Roger Chapl » Fri, 17 Sep 1999 04:00:00

>> What's the legality of e-mailing the beta to someone else?  When I got
>> the e-mail I thought it was a little shady... since it is not a public
>> release.  I'm curious about that.

>I'm not a lawyer (thanks god!), but I know that beta testers are often
>required to sign a non-disclosure agreement. I'm not aware of 3Com's
>way of handling things.

Yes, the only legal way to have a copy of OS 3.3 beta is to have
signed a non-disclosure agreement.

--

Palm OS v3.3 beta

Post by Renee Robert » Sat, 18 Sep 1999 04:00:00

When the beta testers have finished debugging it for 3Com.

Renee Roberts

> Anyone know when OS 3.3 is due out?

> > Hi all,

> > Someone e-mailed me what seems to be a beta release of the PalmOS 3.3
> > flash upgrade.

> > I'm wondering if I should install this or not.  If problems occur, could
> > my flash be fried?

> > Plus, when the official 3.3 version is released, would I be able to
> > simply overwrite the beta version if it's installed?

> > I know how to use my PalmV inside-out... but when it comes to the
> > hardware and file system specifics, I'm a little rusty.

> > I know a lot of people in this newsgroup like to make educated
> > guesses... and that's cool with me - but before you send a reply, please
> > check and make sure your message notes that it's a guess, not a fact.
> > I'm not a stickler about that... but I've noticed some are.

> > Thanks!

> > /PalmV Guy

  renee.vcf
< 1K Download