3.3 & BackupBuddyNG

Post by Doug Gordo » Wed, 20 Oct 1999 04:00:00

From the upgrade manual, it sounds like 3.3 has all of the
functionality of BackupBuddyNG that I currently am using. Is this
correct? Do I still need BBNG for some reason?

  Doug

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

3.3 & BackupBuddyNG

Post by Lee Kann » Wed, 20 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>From the upgrade manual, it sounds like 3.3 has all of the
>functionality of BackupBuddyNG that I currently am using. Is this
>correct? Do I still need BBNG for some reason?

>  Doug

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

And, if the upgrade does have all the functionality of BackupBuddyNG, will
this functionality be available with MacPac1.  I refuse to use the "Claris
Organizer" MacPac because it does not understand untimed repeating events
(unless they are annual ones).

Herb

--
Herb and/or Lee Kanner
For e-mail reply, remove "NO-SPAM"

3.3 & BackupBuddyNG

Post by ozaG .S lua » Wed, 20 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>>From the upgrade manual, it sounds like 3.3 has all of the
>>functionality of BackupBuddyNG that I currently am using. Is this
>>correct? Do I still need BBNG for some reason?

>And, if the upgrade does have all the functionality of BackupBuddyNG, will
>this functionality be available with MacPac1.  I refuse to use the "Claris
>Organizer" MacPac because it does not understand untimed repeating events
>(unless they are annual ones).

        As has been discussed a few times before WRT to beta's, BBNG is still
an essential util.  In fact, I don't see _any_ difference with 3.3 WRT data
backup.  As far as I can tell, the only difference is that the upgrade
_process_ toggles all backup bits, so that everything gets backuped up ONCE
before it all gets erased in the flash process.

3.3 & BackupBuddyNG

Post by Erwin Schombur » Wed, 20 Oct 1999 04:00:00

There are already some threads dealing with this question. In short, BB
is far from obsolete, the new functionality in Hotsync 3.0.4 is an all
or nothing thing, if you want fast incremental and consistent backups
over more than one desktop you will want to keep BB alive on your
systems.

/Erwin

> From the upgrade manual, it sounds like 3.3 has all of the
> functionality of BackupBuddyNG that I currently am using. Is this
> correct? Do I still need BBNG for some reason?

>   Doug

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

3.3 & BackupBuddyNG

Post by Charles Robins » Thu, 21 Oct 1999 04:00:00

:
:       As has been discussed a few times before WRT to beta's, BBNG is still
: an essential util.  In fact, I don't see _any_ difference with 3.3 WRT data
: backup.  As far as I can tell, the only difference is that the upgrade
: _process_ toggles all backup bits, so that everything gets backuped up ONCE
: before it all gets erased in the flash process.

According to the OSUPGRADE.PDF file:

[begin quote]

Improved results of a hard reset

On rare occasions, your handheld may not respond when you press
buttons or tap the screen. Usually, a simple soft reset returns your
handheld to full working order, with all your data intact.
It may happen, however, that a soft reset is not enough to wake up
your handheld, and you have to perform a hard reset. Because a hard
reset erases all data on your handheld, you must perform a HotSync
operation in order to transfer the data in your Desktop application to
your handheld.

In the past, the HotSync operation you performed after a hard reset
may have given you unexpected results. For example, an application
that you had added to your handheld disappeared, and you had to re-install
it. Or an application that you had deleted may have
reappeared.

What changed?

The 3.3 Upgrade changed the behavior of the HotSync Manager so
that in the future, after the HotSync operation that follows a hard
reset, your handheld contains what it contained before the hard reset.
For example, applications you deleted are not re-installed on your
handheld, and applications you added are not removed. Of course,
only as much of your data as is in your Desktop application can be
restored to your handheld.

[end quote]

 -Charles

--
 Charles Robinson
 St. Paul, MN

 http://www.visi.com/~charlesr

3.3 & BackupBuddyNG

Post by Keith Rog » Thu, 21 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>From the upgrade manual, it sounds like 3.3 has all of the
>functionality of BackupBuddyNG that I currently am using. Is this
>correct? Do I still need BBNG for some reason?

>  Doug

To what I understand BBNG will backup Flash-ROM data and apps while
3.3 won't. so I will keep on using BBNG until I heard from someone =)

3.3 & BackupBuddyNG

Post by ozaG .S lua » Thu, 21 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>The 3.3 Upgrade changed the behavior of the HotSync Manager so
>that in the future, after the HotSync operation that follows a hard
>reset, your handheld contains what it contained before the hard reset.
>For example, applications you deleted are not re-installed on your
>handheld, and applications you added are not removed. Of course,
>only as much of your data as is in your Desktop application can be
>restored to your handheld.

        That final line is the key.  This doesn't help (still) if the backup
bit hasn't ever been set.  If a DB or PRC isn't flagged to back up, it won't
end up in your \BACKUP directory, which makes it unrestorable.  Also, from
experience, the thing DOES reinstall things that have been deleted.