<Laugh!> Article on using your PIII to break into cars!

<Laugh!> Article on using your PIII to break into cars!

Post by Matt Atkin » Sat, 05 Dec 1998 04:00:00

NO, you can't use it to break the window!

http://www.newscientist.com/cgi-bin/pageserver.cgi?/ns/981205/newssto...

Post by IndexVie » Sun, 06 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> NO, you can't use it to break the window!

> http://www.newscientist.com/cgi-bin/pageserver.cgi?/ns/981205/newssto...

I saw this item about a month ago.  How many cars do you know that use
IR instead of RF for the door locks?  I guess IR was popular in
Brittian.  I wonder if they can open their doors oin a sunny day?  I
guess that's not much of a problem in Brittian though.:)

Steve

--
 |\    /

 |  \/

<Laugh!> Article on using your PIII to break into cars!

Post by Hugo » Sun, 06 Dec 1998 04:00:00

It is also possible with those IR watches (my 7year old nephew could open
his fathers car with his)

Quote:

>NO, you can't use it to break the window!

>http://www.newscientist.com/cgi-bin/pageserver.cgi?/ns/981205/newssto...
ml

Post by Ri » Mon, 07 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>It is also possible with those IR watches (my 7year old nephew could open
>his fathers car with his)

I think what this points out is not how evil the PalmIII or computer
technology may be, but rather how the security device industry never
anticipated that the crooks might know a CPU from a crowbar and that they
continue to use ignorance as "security" in everything from networking
protocols to IR door locks.

-Ric

Post by bo » Mon, 07 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>>> NO, you can't use it to break the window!

>>> http://www.newscientist.com/cgi-bin/pageserver.cgi?/ns/981205/newssto...

>>I saw this item about a month ago.  How many cars do you know that use
>>IR instead of RF for the door locks?  I guess IR was popular in
>>Brittian.  I wonder if they can open their doors oin a sunny day?  I
>>guess that's not much of a problem in Brittian though.:)

>>Steve

>Quite a few I would imagine.  Our Jeep Grand Cherokee uses IR.

>Dick

so does my 600 Benz

<Laugh!> Article on using your PIII to break into cars!

Post by Dan Ree » Tue, 08 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Its also possible with $10 "teachable" remotes from K-mart/Wall Mart/etc....

It strikes me how sometimes people just don't think.

"Palm III to break into cars" - please....

YOU STILL NEED ACCESS TO THE ORIGINAL I/R TRANSMITTER!

-Dan
--

- Check out Dan's World of Art and Science.
[ http://zerodefect.net/danreed ]

>It is also possible with those IR watches (my 7year old nephew could open
>his fathers car with his)

>>NO, you can't use it to break the window!

>>http://www.newscientist.com/cgi-bin/pageserver.cgi?/ns/981205/newssto...
>ml

<Laugh!> Article on using your PIII to break into cars!

Post by Ross Press » Tue, 08 Dec 1998 04:00:00

On Mon, 7 Dec 1998 09:49:37 -0500, "Dan Reed"

>Its also possible with $10 "teachable" remotes from K-mart/Wall Mart/etc....

>It strikes me how sometimes people just don't think.

>"Palm III to break into cars" - please....

>YOU STILL NEED ACCESS TO THE ORIGINAL I/R TRANSMITTER!

>-Dan

It's not that farfetched, Dan.  A person who owned a particular car
and HAD the transmitter, and also was very patient, a skilled
programmer, and had diagnostic equipment, could probably write a
program to scan through the appropriate frequency band and modulation
pattern to try to unlock other cars of that same make and model, or
even of that same family.  OmniRemote alone won't do it, of course.

Similarly, since the transmitter on a car security system is on the
high side of power, it should be possible to capture the signal as the
legitimate owner uses it, and steal it the next time the car is
unattended.

remove NOSPAM to reply by email

Post by Dillon Pyr » Tue, 08 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> >>I saw this item about a month ago.  How many cars do you know that use
> >>IR instead of RF for the door locks?  I guess IR was popular in
> >>Brittian.  I wonder if they can open their doors oin a sunny day?  I
> >>guess that's not much of a problem in Brittian though.:)

> >>Steve

> >Quite a few I would imagine.  Our Jeep Grand Cherokee uses IR.

> >Dick

> so does my 600 Benz

I can lock or unlock my Civic from 100+ ft.  Can you do that?  :-)

--
dillon pyron

If Windows 95 referred to the number of floppies required,
what does that say about Windows 2000?