AvantGo and InfoRover for Offline-Web-Browsing

AvantGo and InfoRover for Offline-Web-Browsing

Post by Peter Rohlede » Sat, 05 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Has anybody compared these two products and can tell me something about
the advantages or disadvantages of the one against the other?

(see: http://www.inforover.com   and http://www.avantgo.com )

Peter Rohleder

--

  GMD - National Research Center for Computer Science
  Tel.: +49-2241-142208;  FAX: +49-2241-142065

AvantGo and InfoRover for Offline-Web-Browsing

Post by SFMurph » Sat, 05 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I really like AvantGo and I expected to be disappointed w/ InfoRover.  To
the contrary  though, I found IR to be much faster that AG.  Also the
scheduling option in IR is great.  I would rather have AG update whenever I
am connected to the Net or at a preset time rather than going on line when I
want a quick synch.

Clipping articles, searching, & beaming articles in IR are all pretty neat
too.  I also like the ability in IR to e-mail for information about a

e-mail space as a default or allowed access to the keyboard from the e-mail
screen of IR.  Writing your e-mail address in Graffiti is not the easiest of
tasks to accomplish.

You are limited to AP headlines in InfoRover if you want the free version.
I believe there is a $5.00 or so monthly charge if you want more news
content.  AvantGo though has made arrangements with their content providers
to offer the software free for individual use.

Since using both products, I dumped all the games and a bunch of utilities I
rarely used in order to expand the updateable news and journals I can now
carry around.

Steve

>Has anybody compared these two products and can tell me something about
>the advantages or disadvantages of the one against the other?

>(see: http://www.inforover.com   and http://www.avantgo.com )

>Peter Rohleder

>--

>  GMD - National Research Center for Computer Science
>  Schloss Birlinghoven, D-53754 Sankt Augustin, Germany
>  Tel.: +49-2241-142208;  FAX: +49-2241-142065

AvantGo and InfoRover for Offline-Web-Browsing

Post by SFMurph » Sat, 05 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Also see the review at http://www.the-gadgeteer.com

Steve

>Has anybody compared these two products and can tell me something about
>the advantages or disadvantages of the one against the other?

>(see: http://www.inforover.com   and http://www.avantgo.com )

>Peter Rohleder

>--

>  GMD - National Research Center for Computer Science
>  Schloss Birlinghoven, D-53754 Sankt Augustin, Germany
>  Tel.: +49-2241-142208;  FAX: +49-2241-142065

AvantGo and InfoRover for Offline-Web-Browsing

Post by Rob Antonishe » Sat, 05 Sep 1998 04:00:00

tricky.

-Rob

AvantGo and InfoRover for Offline-Web-Browsing

Post by SFMurph » Sat, 05 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Steve

>tricky.

>-Rob

AvantGo and InfoRover for Offline-Web-Browsing

Or you could recreate a shortcut based on an easier to make letter.